Banana Nut Quinoa Porridge: Start your day with a protein-packed, calcium-rich bowl of warm quinoa porridge and know that your morning will be fueled with nutrients you need to stay sharp, focused, and to start your day right!
I feel like if I can tackle eating a nutritious breakfast every day my days go better and I eat healthier all day long–after all breakfast is ESSENTIAL in a healthy diet.
This warm quinoa porridge is swimming in a sweet, creamy broth flavored with bananas and vanilla. Crunchy walnuts and chia seeds add various textural components along with added fiber and healthy fats that help sustain energy longer.
So while you may think that porridge sounds boring, mushy, or old-fashioned–Banana Nut Quinoa Porridge is none of the above. It is filled with texture, flavor, and made with trendy new superfoods!
And if that doesn’t convince you to give quinoa for breakfast a try–each serving contains a whopping 18 grams of protein!!!
What makes Breakfast Quinoa so good for you?
- Each serving of quinoa has 8 grams of plant-based protein.
- Naturally gluten-free.
- Bananas are full of potassium and naturally sweet, so you can skip the added sugars most breakfast cereals have.
- When cooked in milk, breakfast porridge is high in calcium.
- By topping the porridge with chia seeds, you add Omega 3s and a hefty dose of fiber (not to mention some nice contrast in texture.)
Modifications Banana Breakfast Quinoa
- Make this quinoa porridge vegan by using almond, coconut, or soy milk and omitting the egg.
- The egg is added to this breakfast porridge recipe to naturally boost protein and to give the porridge a custardy texture. This recipe works without the egg.
- Omit walnuts for Banana Quinoa Porridge, making this safe for those with nut allergies.
- It is not necessary to blend the bananas into the milk. You can simply slice the bananas and let them fall apart into the quinoa as the porridge cooks. I personally prefer to blend the bananas for creamy quinoa oatmeal that is equally sweet in every bite.
Banana Nut Quinoa Porridge
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 4 cups milk divided
- 3 ripe bananas divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup optional
- For best results, soak quinoa in 1 cup water overnight. This step is not necessary, but helps create a softer, more porridge like consistency.
- Blend together 2 cups milk, egg, vanilla, salt with 2 ripe bananas. Pour into large saucepan and stir in quinoa. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring every few minutes. Stir in the chia seeds.
- To serve: Dish out quinoa porridge into 4 bowls, add 1/2 cup milk to each bowl, 1/4 of the remaining banana sliced, and a tablespoon of the chopped walnuts. If you like things sweet, feel free to drizzle each bowl with a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup. I find the bananas make this dish sweet enough for me...