Tabbouleh or Tabouli is a Middle Eastern salad made with fresh parsley, mint, bulgar wheat, tomatoes, cucumbers and a simple olive oil and lemon dressing.
One of my favorite dishes ever is tabbouleh. It is filled with bright flavors, wholesome ingredients, and is incredibly easy to make!
And this simple dish always wakes up the palate and satisfies–you have to love when simple, healthy, and delicious all collide in one recipe!
What is Tabbouleh?
According to the dictionary, tabbouleh is an Arab salad made with cracked wheat and finely chopped ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, and parsley.
It can be referred to as Tabbouleh or Tabouli.
This popular Middle Eastern dish is thought of as both as a salad or a side dish.
Regardless of what you call it, it is light, fresh, healthy and delicious!
Ingredients in Tabbouleh Salad
- Bulgur (Cracked Wheat)–feel free to sub out quinoa to keep tabouli gluten free.
- Vegetable Stock–I use stock to add more flavor to the bulgur, but feel free to just use water.
- Parsley–lots and lots of parsley
- Mint–helps to brighten the flavors
- Green Onion
- Tomatoes–seeded and finely diced, or use grape/cherry tomatoes
- English Cucumber–or peeled and seeded garden cucumber
- Lemon Juice–fresh lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- Garlic–feel free to omit, but I love the addition of garlic flavor
How To Make Tabbouleh
Step One: Prepare Bulgur Wheat
- Place the bulgur wheat (or quinoa) in a fine mesh strainer and rinse well.
- Transfer rinsed bulgur to a heat safe bowl.
- Bring water or vegetable stock to a boil and pour over the bulgur wheat. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain off any excess liquid (rarely will you have any)
- Fluff bulgur wheat with a fork.
If using quinoa, cook according to package directions or use the directions for my Instant Pot Quinoa.
Step Two: Prepare the Dressing
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
- Using a microplane grater, grate the garlic cloves directly over the dressing.
- Stir to combine.
Step Three: Prepare the Salad
- Toss the wheat with the tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, parsley and dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving to allow flavors time to blend together.
More Delicious Mediterranean Salad Recipes
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pint grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 2 bunches parsley stems removed, chopped
- 8 fresh mint leaves stems removed, chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated or finely minced
- ¼ cup green onions finely chopped
- Place the bulgur wheat (or quinoa) in a fine mesh strainer and rinse well. Place in heat safe bowl.
- Bring water or vegetable stock to a boil and pour over the bulgur wheat. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and fluff bulgur wheat with a fork.
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, salt and olive oil. Using a microplane grater, grate the garlic cloves directly over the dressing. Stir to combine.
- Add tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, parsley, mint and dressing to the bulgur wheat and mix to combine.
- Cover the tabbouleh and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Tabboleh will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Latest posts by Kristen Chidsey (see all)
- Easy Mulled Wine - November 21, 2019
- Gluten Free Sweet Potato Waffles - November 20, 2019
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Sweet Potatoes - November 20, 2019