Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is one of my favorite dishes! Bursting with Mediterranean flavors, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and of course chickpeas, this chickpea salad is perfect to stand alone as a meatless entree, can be served as a side dish, a filling for a wrap, or even used as a party dip served alongside pita chips.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This simple and healthy Chickpea Salad recipe takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and is packed with Mediterranean flavors, like tangy capers, fresh tomatoes, oregano, olives and feta—some of my favorite foods ever!
This light and refreshing salad is so easy to make, yet is hearty thanks to the chickpeas. It is also perfect for pot-lucks, parties, and lunches.
Ingredients for Chickpea Salad
- Chickpeas—AKA garbanzo beans
- Kalamative Olives
- English Cucumber
- Tomatoes–grape or cherry tomatoes are best
- Onion–red or vidalia
- Salad Dressing
Ingredients for Chickpea Salad Dressing
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Olive Oil–I recommend Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
How to Make Chickpea Salad
Step One: Prepare Ingredients for Salad
- Prepare the chickpeas. Either rinse one 15 ounce can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans or prepare dried chickpeas in the instant pot.
- Chop the onion, slice up the cucumbers, cut the tomatoes and olives in half, and crumble the feta.
Step Two: Mix Salad
- In a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, oregano, and salt together.
- To the dressing, add in the chickpeas, cucumbers, olives, onion, tomatoes, and feta.
- Toss until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes for optimum flavor (but you can certainly eat right away!)
How to serve Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- As a refreshing side dish.
- Filled in a pita to take as a lunch to go.
- Scooped up with pita chips as a refreshing dip at a party.
- As a filling of an omelet for a unique breakfast.
- Served with Grilled Greek Chicken
More Easy Mediterranean Recipes
- Tabbouleh Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous
- Mediterranean Frittata
- Greek Qunioa Salad
- Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
- Greek Pinwheels
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 15 ounces chickpeas rinsed and dried (or 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 red onion diced finely
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt.
- To the dressing, add in the chickpeas, cucumbers, olives, onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese. Toss together until everything is well coated and combined.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes for flavors to combine before serving.
- Feel to add in roasted peppers, pepperoncinis, green olives, capers, parsely, etc to this salad as desired. .
- For a Vegan Chickpea Salad, just omit the feta cheese. You may need an additional 1/2-1 teaspoon salt to replace the saltiness that the feta provides.
- This chickpea salad will last in the fridge for 3-5 days. It is safe to eat at 5 days, but has the best taste between 1-3 days.
- Chickpea Salad can not be frozen due to the fresh vegetables.