Southwest Turkey Soup: A creamy, spicy broth envelopes shredded turkey, corn, and beans. Perfect use for leftover Turkey.soup
I love Thanksgiving. I love the food and the family and the memories made.
I don’t know what happens at your house, but at mine, we are always swimming in leftovers! It really doesn’t matter how many last-minute guest we invite or how hungry we are, we always make WAY too much. And I love that! Part of my love of Thanksgiving comes from the anticipation of leftovers.
I love leftover Turkey Sandwiches and leftover cranberry sauce on my pancakes, but I also love to recreate my leftovers into something that takes on a completely different flavor profile. In fact, I am hoping that today’s recipe for Southwest Turkey Soup, inspires you to get a bit more creative than a turkey and mayo sandwich for Black Friday.
This Southwest Turkey Soup, can be made on the stove-top in 30 minutes or in the slow cooker (perfect for shoppers on Black Friday!) And it tastes completely different from Thanksgiving dinner! It is like Tortilla Soup, but creamy and made with turkey, not chicken. It is the perfect recipe to keep you from getting sick of all your leftover turkey.
So grab a spoon and dig in–it will fuel you up whether you spend your day putting up Christmas Decorations, shopping, or spending time with your family.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups leftover chopped turkey
- 1 cup leftover corn
- 1 can (16oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 z) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz) diced rotel tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cream or milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- To serve: diced avocado, cheese, chips, cilantro, lime wedges
- Slow Cooker Recipe:
- Place all ingredients, except for cream and sour cream, in slow cooker and cook on high 4 hours or low 6 hours. Add in cream and sour cream and cook on low for 30 minutes. Stir well after 30 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
- Stove Top Directions:
- Heat pan over medium heat and heat ½ tablespoon oil in skillet. Add in onion and green pepper and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in chicken stock, beans, corn, turkey, apices and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cream and sour cream and heat through. Serve with desired toppings