Made with deli turkey, crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado this Turkey Wrap has all the flavors of a club sandwich and makes for a delicious and easy lunch.
Pair this Turkey Avocado Wrap with some fresh fruit, veggies, guacamole, and chips for a perfect lunch or light dinner. Alternatively, you can cut these wraps into 1-inch slices and serve as Turkey Pinwheels for a party-perfect appetizer.
This Turkey wrap was inspired by two of my all-time favorite sandwiches--a BLAT, otherwise known as a BLT with avocado, and a classic club sandwich.
This wrap is made with thinly sliced deli turkey, crisp oven-baked bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, a thin layer of mayonnaise, and ripe mashed avocado, lettuce, and fresh tomatoes. And because these stellar ingredients are wrapped up into a tortilla versus served on bread, these gems are perfectly portable and packable. Making these turkey wraps delicious for school lunches, picnics, or to enjoy at home.
Notes on Ingredients
- Turkey: Select high-quality deli turkey, or use thinly sliced leftover cooked turkey or turkey breast in place of the deli turkey slices. Ham is also delicious in place or in addition to the turkey on this wrap.
- Bacon: The bacon is optional, but adds a nice crunch and saltiness to the recipe.
- Cheese: Adding cheese slices is completely optional. If desired, use thinly sliced cheddar, Coby, provolone, or Swiss cheese.
- Tomatoes: Use ripe tomatoes and if not serving these wraps immediately, it is best to deseed the tomatoes to keep the wraps from becoming soggy.
- Lettuce: Use green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, or iceberg lettuce. For romaine or iceberg lettuce, you will want to cut out the hard center of the lettuce leaves, so that the wraps will roll up evenly.
- Tortillas: Use any tortilla you like--homemade tortillas, flour tortillas, gluten-free tortillas. You do want to select larger, burrito-size tortillas.
How to Make Turkey Wraps
- Mash the avocado with mayonnaise, lime juice, and a bit of salt until creamy.
- Evenly spread a thin layer of the avocado mixture over a tortilla, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges.
- Place a slice of lettuce over the bottom of the tortilla. This will help to prevent the Turkey Wrap from getting soggy.
- Layer 3-4 slices of turkey, sliced cheese, if using, 1-2 slices of cooked bacon, and sliced, seeded tomatoes.
- Tightly wrap up the turkey wrap by first folding up the sides of the tortilla or wrap and then bringing up the bottom flap and then continuing to roll from the bottom up.
How to Make Turkey Pinwheels
These turkey rolls also make great pinwheels that are perfect for children's lunch boxes or to serve as an appetizer.
- Prepare Turkey Wrap as directed.
- After rolling up the turkey wrap tightly, cut it into 1-inch circles.
- Secure each turkey pinwheel with a toothpick, adding a grape tomato on top for color and to keep the circles perfectly intact.
- I love to serve these turkey club pinwheels with a side of guacamole for dipping.
Preparing in Advance
If prepared correctly, using deseeded tomatoes and layered as written, these turkey wraps can be made 3 days in advance. Once assembled, wrap the turkey wraps tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator until ready to serve or pack for lunch. To pack in a lunch, be sure to include an ice pack as the ingredients in the wraps are perishable.
Recipe Tips and Modifications
- The mayonnaise is not necessary. Feel free to omit it and simply mash up your avocado with lime juice and salt.
- If you need this wrap to be dairy-free, omit the cheese. For an egg-free wrap, omit the mayonnaise. The wraps will still be delicious.
- Prevent soggy wraps by being sure to dry lettuce thoroughly after washing, and remove the seeds from tomato slices. If not the wrap may become soggy very quickly.
More Favorite Recipes for Lunch
I would love to know how you enjoy this recipe! Be sure to leave a comment and review.
- 4 tortillas 8-10 inch diameter
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4-8 lettuce leaves
- 8 ounces deli turkey meat thinly sliced
- 4-8 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 tomato sliced and seeded
- Mash together the avocado with mayonnaise, salt, and lime juice until smooth.
- Spread the avocado mayonnaise in an even layer over the tortilla, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge of the tortilla.
- Top the avocado spread with 1-2 lettuce leaves to cover the tortilla.
- Place 3-4 slices of turkey in the middle of the wrap, top the turkey with 2 thin slices of cheese, if using, sliced tomatoes and 1-2 pieces of cooked bacon.
- Wrap the turkey wrap, by folding in the sides and then rolling tightly from the bottom up.
- Cut in half or cut into 1-inch pieces and secure with toothpicks. Alternatively, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
This recipe was orginally published in 2017 but was updated in 2021 with new tips.