Boneless Buffalo Chicken Wings: A copycat recipe for Buffalo Wild Wing’s Boneless Wings. These spicy chicken strips are a game day favorite!
My family has been anxiously awaiting the return of football season since the Superbowl. I know that our Saturdays will be spent with friends and family cheering on various college teams.
And while I enjoy watching football, I honestly care more about the food.
This football season you all have requested me to make over some of our favorite Game Day snacks to make them healthier, while still tasty.
First up: Buffalo Wings
Boneless Buffalo Wings
Personally, I am not a huge fan of traditional chicken wings. The bones just slow me down from eating.
But boneless wings are another story! I love the crispy exterior and the spicy sauce that envelopes the tender chicken.
It is going to shock you, but this is one recipe I actually do deep fry.
How to Make Boneless Buffalo Wings
Step One: Prepare Chicken Strips
- Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch wide strips.
- Alternatively, you can use chicken tenders–just trim off the tendon.
Step Two: Marinate Chicken
- Whisk buttermilk with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Submerge chicken strips in buttermilk and refrigerate.
- Marinate for 30 minutes up to 12 hours.
Step Three: Bread Chicken Wings
- Mix together flour, bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Dredge each chicken strip in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
I prefer panko bread crumbs to traditional bread crumbs as the texture is much crispier and lighter.
Step Four: Fry Chicken Wings
- Heat oil to 375 degrees in a large, heavy bottomed pan.
- Check oil temperature with digital thermometer or by dipping the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. If the oil steadily bubbles, then the oil is hot enough for frying. If it boils very intensely, the oil is too hot. Lower the heat and try again in a 3-5 minutes.
- Fry 3-4 chicken strips at a time for 5 minutes.
- Remove boneless wings from oil and place on paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
Do not fry more than 4 boneless wings at a time or your oil will drop in temperature, causing the chicken strips to absorb the oil.
Step Five: Enjoy!
- Serve with homemade ranch dressing or bleu cheese.
Baked Boneless Buffalo Wings
If you are looking for a lighter options, you can bake these Buffalo Chicken Strips instead of frying.
- Marinate and bread chicken as directed.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet fitted with a cooking rack.
- Spray lightly with cooking oil spray.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken has reached internal temperature of 165 degrees.
More Classic Football Recipes
- The Most Amazing Taco Dip
- Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 5 Ingredient Buckeye Dip
- Spicy Sausage Cups
- Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Boneless Wings Recipe
Boneless Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Breading
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Buffalo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder divided
- 1/3 cup Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups canola or peanut oil
Prepare Boneless Wings
- Cut each chicken breast into 1 inch wide strips.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet to 375 degrees. (Or until a drop of water sizzles in oil)
- Whisk together buttermilk, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place chicken in buttermilk mixture and marinade for 30 minutes or overnight.
Bread Boneless Wings
- Combine the flour, panko, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder in shallow pie plan.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Place the chicken strips onto a cooling rack that is on top of a cookie sheet, while waiting to fry.
Fry Chicken Wings
- Fry 3-4 pieces of chicken at a time for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Season Boneless Wings
- Combine remaining teaspoon of garlic powder with butter, honey, and Tabasco.
- Brush each chicken strip with the mixture.