A simple healthy homemade granola made with coconut, oats, chia seeds, and maple syrup. This Coconut Chia Granola is filled with plant-based nutrients and is vegan and gluten-free.
Granola provides crunch to creamy dishes such as yogurt, makes a great topping for a fruit crisp, or is a wonderful addition to cereal–both cold and warm varieties. I love a touch of granola sprinkled on top of oatmeal. And homemade granola happens to be incredibly easy to make.
Store-Bought vs Homemade Granola
Granola is one of those things that’s hard to buy.
It’s either filled with added sugars, sodium, and preservatives, or it costs an arm and a leg.
However, making granola at home is not only easy but super economical. It can also be customized to fit your preference and what you have in the pantry. By making it at home, you can control what you put into it and make it for pennies.
What Makes This Granola Healthy?
The ingredients in this granola recipe are nutrient-dense.
- Oats: A whole grain, rich in fiber, and is known to help lower blood pressure.
- Chia Seeds: Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Coconut Oil: A healthier fat that is free of cholesterol
- Maple Syrup: Lower glycemic index and rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron.
*Feel free to add in dried fruits or nuts to this granola recipe as well, which adds in additional nutritional benefits as well.
How to Make Homemade Granola
Making granola at home could not be any simpler.
- Mix ingredients together for granola.
- Spread out on a large sheet pan.
- Bake until toasted and golden, stirring halfway through cooking.
How to Use Homemade Granola
- Use to top Instant Pot Yogurt.
- Add to Instant Pot Oatmeal for crunch and flavor.
- Use in place of rice cereal in Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Sushi.
- Add to the oat topping in Apple Crisp or Berry Crisp for additional crunch and texture.
- After dipping French Toast in egg custard, dip in granola for a crispy texture.
I would love for you to share in the comments what you added to this granola recipe and how you enjoyed it! Inspire us all.
Healthy Homemade Granola
- 3 cups oats
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix together oats, chia seeds, coconut, cinnamon and salt until well combined.
- Add in coconut oil and maple syrup and toss until the dry mixtures is coated with syrup and oil.
- Spread out onto large cooking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and store in airtight container.
- Feel free to use canola oil in place of melted coconut oil.
- Be sure your oats are gluten-free if you need this granola to be gluten-free.
- Add in up to 1 cup dried fruit and nuts AFTER the granola has baked, unless using raw nuts, then add the nuts to oat mixture before baking.