Skip the lines and the drive-thru and enjoy a homemade pumpkin spice latte easily at home! Made with real pumpkin and warming spices, this recipe will satisfy your craving for a PSL and keep money in your pocket!
It is no secret that I love starting each and every day with a homemade latte. But when the fall temperatures begin to drop, the craving for pumpkin everything strikes! What better way to satisfy that craving than with a homemade pumpkin spice latte?!
Okay, pairing a warm Pumpkin Banana Muffin or Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal with this PSL would ACTUALLY be better. But you get the idea!
The Best Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- Money-Saver. For the cost of one latte from the drive-thru, you can enjoy over a week's worth of homemade lattes.
- Easy Recipe. You will be sipping on this homemade pumpkin spice latte faster than you can get through the line at Starbucks!
- Made with Real Pumpkin. Starbucks' famous PSL is not made with actual pumpkin. Instead, it is spiced with pumpkin pie spice. This recipe uses both real pumpkin puree AND pumpkin pie spice to deliver the best-tasting pumpkin spice latte.
- Customizable. Just like your favorite coffee chain, you can make this Pumpkin Spice Latte using any variety of milk and as much or as little sweetener as you like, and no surcharge for non-dairy milk.😉
Notes on Ingredients
- Espresso/Strong Coffee: Classically lattes are made with espresso. But unless you have an expensive machine at home, you may not have access to making an espresso yourself. No need to worry! For this latte recipe, you can replace the espresso with strong brewed coffee.
- Milk: Use the milk you like; cow's milk, goat milk, soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, or even coconut milk.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: I always keep homemade pumpkin pie spice on hand in the fall for this latte, along with other pumpkin must-makes (hello Pumpkin Roll Cake and Pumpkin Pie) but feel free to replace it with
- Sweetener: Use maple syrup, granulated sugar, or brown sugar. I personally recommend either maple syrup or brown sugar, as they pair well with the flavor of the pumpkin.
- Pumpkin Puree: Use pure canned or homemade pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie filling, as that is already sweetened and spiced. This is a great recipe for using leftover canned pumpkin.
- Vanilla Extract: A bit of vanilla will further warm up and sweeten your homemade pumpkin spice latte.
- Whipped Cream: Optional, but if you want encouraged.
∗ Hacks for the BEST Homemade PSL ∗
Making a pumpkin spice latte at home is super easy to do, but I have some easy tips that will make you look like a barista at home.
- Use Strong Coffee. If you don't have espresso, simply brew extra strong coffee. This will allow the coffee flavor to not be overtaken by the pumpkin and yield a perfectly balanced latte.
- Heat the Pumpkin Puree. Heating the pumpkin puree with the coffee and sweetener of choice allows for two things to happen; the sweetener will dissolve and the pumpkin flavor will intensify. Meaning your latte will be smooth and full of pumpkin flavor.
- Froth the Milk. You don't need anything more than a whisk to froth your milk. After heating the milk of choice in the microwave or on the stovetop, simply take a small whisk and vigorously whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk forms large bubbles and is frothy.
- Finish Strong. Add whipped cream and top with a fine dusting of pumpkin spice to add additional flavor.
More Warming Beverages
- Easy Homemade Latte Recipe
- Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Easy Mulled Wine
- Homemade Mulled Cider
- Peanut Butter Coffee
If you enjoyed this Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- In a small saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, sugar of your choice, pumpkin pie spice, and coffee. Heat the mixture, whisking constantly over medium heat, until combined, warmed through and the sugar is dissolved. This will only take a minute or two. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk of your choice into a heat-safe measuring cup and heat for 45 seconds in the microwave. Alternatively, you can heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until lightly simmering. Once the milk of your choice is heated, take a small whisk and vigorously whisk back and forth for 15-30 seconds until the milk forms large bubbles and is frothy.
- Pour the coffee mixture into a mug and top with the frothed milk. Gently whisk to combine. Top with whipped cream if desired and dust with additional pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon. Serve immediately.