This homemade pumpkin pie spice blend is made with 5 common dried spices and delivers the classic pumpkin spice flavor you know and love.
When the temperatures begin to drop, everyone rushes out to grab a Pumpkin Spice Latte and begins baking pumpkin EVERYTHING!
And while you can buy pre-made pumpkin pie spice, it is super easy and more cost-effective to make homemade pumpkin pie spice.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Pie Spice
This pumpkin pie spice blend is made with just the right combination of spices to give your pumpkin pie spice blend the best flavor. And you likely have all these spices on hand in your spice cabinet right now!
∗ important to remember ∗
For the best flavor in this pumpkin pie spice blend, be sure to use dried spices that are not nearing their expiration date. I recommend giving them a sniff. If they don't have much of a smell, it is time to toss them.
Storing Pumpkin Pie Spice
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice should be stored in an air-tight container or jar and in a cool, dark place like your spice cabinet or pantry.
While certainly safe to use much longer, homemade spice blends are best used within 6 months of preparation for the most vibrant flavor.
How Much Pumpkin Pie Spice to Use
For any recipe calling for pumpkin pie spice, you can use this homemade blend as a 1:1 substitute.
Oftentimes I find a pumpkin baked good recipe calling for a combination of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, rather than using pumpkin pie spice. If desired, you can use pumpkin pie spice to replace each dried spice, for a more classic pumpkin spice flavor. Add together the total amount of spices used (a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and/or cloves) and then replace it with an equal amount of pumpkin pie spice.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Feel free to increase or decrease the amounts of dried spices used to create pumpkin pie spice. One advantage to making homemade spice blends is you can adjust the flavor to suit your preferences.
- Allspice is not a blend of spices, as the name would suggest. It has its own unique flavor profile and is made from a dried berry.
- This recipe can be doubled, or tripled, and makes a great hostess gift at the holidays!
- Use Pumpkin Pie Spice in more than just pumpkin desserts and baked goods. Add it to Instant Pot oatmeal for a warming touch, sprinkle on freshly popped stovetop popcorn for a sweet treat, or stir into vanilla pudding or yogurt for a nice flavor.
Recipes Using Homemade Pumpkin Spice Blend
- Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Bread
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Roll Cake
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
If you enjoyed this recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- In a small bowl or glass jar, combine the spices. Whisk or stir well to incorporate.
- Store the spice blend in an airtight container in a cool, dark spot, for up to 6 months.