Healthy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread: Tender, naturally sweetened pumpkin bread is baked up with a cream cheese swirl for a perfect fall quick bread recipe.
You know it is fall when everyone starts rushing out to get their Pumpkin flavored latte.
Call me crazy, but I love pumpkin in everything but coffee ( I like it, I just don’t LOVE it!)
But pumpkin bread? Oh, head over heels in love with!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
This pumpkin bread with cream cheese swirl is hands down my favorite version EVER!
It is moist, sweet, and filled with a sweet surprise. You would never know it has been made healthier, because it feels like a guilty pleasure.
How To Make Healthy Pumpkin Bread
The first step to making a quick bread healthier, is to swap some of the less than healthy ingredients for better options.
Ingredients in Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- 100% whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour
- Maple syrup in place of refined sugar
- Coconut Oil to keep this pumpkin bread moist
- Greek yogurt in place of part of the oil
- Freshly grated ginger and nutmeg for a burst of flavor.
- Cinnamon for a warming flavor
- Pumpkin which is a great source of Vitamin A and fiber.
Steps for Making Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Grate nutmeg and fresh ginger into the flour mixture and mix in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin, oil, and yogurt.
- Gently combine the pumpkin mixture with the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Make the cream cheese filling, by mixing the remaining yogurt with the cream cheese, vanilla, and egg.
- Pour half the pumpkin bread batter into a greased 9 inch loaf pan.
- Top with the cream cheese filling.
- Dollop the remaining pumpkin bread batter on top of the cream cheese filling.
Tips on this Moist Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- The cream cheese filling is optional–but highly encouraged. If you would like to omit the cream cheese swirl, just pour the entire Pumpkin Bread into the loaf pan and bake for the same amount of time.
- Do not worry about the final layer of pumpkin bread batter completely covering the cream cheese layer, as it it bakes the batter will rise around the cream cheese filling.
- I use coconut oil in this recipe, but you can use canola oil instead.
- Be sure to store this pumpkin bread in the fridge.
- Pumpkin bread will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
- If you don’t have fresh ginger root, use 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Harvest Quinoa Salad with Pumpkin Dressing
- Mini Pumpkin Pie Cookies
- Overnight Pumpkin Spice French Toast Casserole
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Healthy Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix together eggs, yogurt, oil, syrup, and pumpkin puree. Add into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Prepare the filling: Mix together cream cheese, vanilla, yogurt, egg, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 the bread batter into loaf pan. Pour the filling on top of that. Then finish by gently dolloping the remaining bread batter onto the filling. (It is okay if it is not perfectly covered.)
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.