Move over mashed potatoes! These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are good enough to steal the show! This simple sweet potato mash is made in less than 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. The options for flavoring are endless–from sweet, to savory, to basic–this easy side dish is a must-make!
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot. From Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes to Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili, to Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, I just love how perfectly the pressure cooker cooks sweet potatoes.
99% of the time, I prefer a Baked Sweet Potato to Mashed Sweet Potatoes.
But my kids, well, they have always voted for Mashed Sweet Potatoes. I think it has more to do what I mix into the mashed sweet potatoes than the soft, velvety texture of the mash.
Because I am all about my kids eating their veggies without complaint, I often make mashed sweet potatoes. And now that I have an instant pot, I opt to use the pressure cooker to make them. What is not to love about a dish made in 30 minutes in one pot? Throw in that it is healthy–and I am beyond happy!
This is a basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes. These sweet potatoes are fluffy and seasoned simply and they are dairy-free. That makes this side dish not only perfect for those with food allergies/restrictions, but also a great starter food for babies.
And because this is a basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, your imagination can be your guide if you want to step up the flavor in your sweet potato mash. We love to add in a touch of maple syrup, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts. It reminds us of our favorite Sweet Potato Casserole!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
As I mentioned, this recipe is easy, peasy!
The first step is to peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Remember, just like when making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, it is best to cut your potatoes into EVEN pieces. That will ensure the potatoes cook up evenly!
Unlike regular russet potatoes, sweet potatoes do not give off as much starch as they cook. Therefore, I prefer cooking the sweet potatoes directly in vegetable stock. Once they are cooked, you can mash the potatoes right into the stock. No draining needed!
Unlike traditional mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes can be mashed in a blender, food processor, or using a hand held mixer without becoming gummy. However, using a potato masher works just as well and means fewer dishes to clean!
Ways to Flavor Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This is a very basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, and while delicious on its own, you may be interested in trying out one of the following flavor combinations for your sweet potato mash.
- Spiced Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika to cooking liquid before cooking. Be warned–These will be SPICY!
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes: After cook time has elapsed add in 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon butter and mash until creamy.
- Sweet Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to mash. Top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Apple Cider Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Replace chicken/vegetable stock with apple cider and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
- Tex-Mex Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Replace salt and pepper with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning. Add in sour cream after cook time to add tang to sweet potato mash.
- Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in 1 tablespoon bourbon into cooking liquid before cooking sweet potatoes. Season with a bit of cinnamon if desired.
More Instant Pot Side Dish Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Instant Pot Risotto
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut peeled potatoes into 1 inch chunks
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set to high pressure and manual cook time to 10 minutes.
- Once cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to release naturally for at least 5 minutes.
- If desired, add in butter, yogurt, or additional seasonings and to continue to mash sweet potatoes until well combined and creamy.