Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes are an easy and healthy side dish that are ready in one pot in less than 30 minutes. This healthy side dish can be dressed up and seasoned in a variety of different ways.
Friends, sweet potatoes are one of my FAVORITE things to make in my pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This is a basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes.
These sweet potatoes are fluffy and seasoned simply–making them perfect for not only a side dish, but also a great starter food for babies.
And because this is a basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, your imagination can be your guide if you want to step up the flavor in your sweet potato mash.
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes in Pressure Cooker
Peel and Cut Sweet Potatoes
- The skin on sweet potatoes does not breakdown easily so peel before chopping.
- Cut peeled potatoes into 1 inch chunks
Cook Sweet Potatoes
- Place cut sweet potatoes in pressure cooker.
- Add in chicken or vegetable stock.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Let Pressure Release Naturally for at least 5 minutes.
Mash Sweet Potatoes
- Open pressure cooker.
- Mash sweet potatoes and stock with a potato masher until creamy.
Ways to Flavor Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This is a very basic recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, and while delicious on it’s own, you may be interested in trying out one of the following flavor combinations for your sweet potato mash.
- Spiced Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in, 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika to cooking liquid before cooking. Be warned–These will be SPICY!
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes: After cook time has elapsed add in 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon butter and mash until creamy.
- Sweet Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to mash.
- Apple Cider Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Replace chicken/vegetable stock with apple cider and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg.
- Tex-Mex Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Replace salt and pepper with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning. Add in sour cream after cook time to add tang to sweet potato mash.
- Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Add in 1 tablespoon bourbon into cooking liquid before cooking sweet potatoes. Season with a bit of cinnamon if desired.
More Instant Pot Side Dish Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Instant Pot Baked Beans
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
An easy and healthy side dish that are perfect for a weeknight meal or holiday meal. These savory instant pot mashed sweet potatoes are a delicious accompaniment to so many entrees.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cut peeled potatoes into 1 inch chunks
Place cut sweet potatoes, stock, salt and pepper in pressure cooker.
Place lid on Instant Pot and set to high pressure and manual cook time to 12 minutes.
Once cook time has elapsed, allow pressure to release naturally for at least 5 minutes.
Open instant pot and mash sweet potatoes with the stock until smooth.
If desired, add in butter, yogurt or additional seasonings and to continue to mash sweet potatoes until well combined and creamy.
TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED SWEET POTATOES, YOU MAY NEED
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!