Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is an easy all-in-one meal made with ground beef, egg noodles, and a homemade mushroom sauce that goes from pot to table in less than 30 minutes!
Instead of using canned mushroom soup, this recipe for Instant Pot Stroganoff starts with a simple homemade mushroom gravy that is rich in flavor and super easy to make. Add in a blend of seasonings that mimics Dry Onion Soup Mix, this recipe will NOT disappoint in flavor.
My whole family gets excited when I make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff. They love my stovetop version of beef stroganoff as well, but we all agree that the flavor in the Instant Pot version is better.
It is because the noodles are cooked right in the delicious sauce, soaking in all that great flavor.
But let me you another reason you will LOVE this recipe.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff only requires one pan and is ready in less than 30 minutes!!! YAY for an easy instant pot recipe my entire family DEVOURS!
What You Need
- Ground Meat: I prefer lean ground beef, but ground turkey or ground chicken both work for this recipe.
- Mushrooms: Button mushrooms work, but baby portabella mushrooms (AKA Bella mushrooms) will give this dish the best flavor.
- Red Wine: Dry red wine, like Merlot or Cabernet, adds a lot of depth to this homemade stroganoff, but feel free to use additional stock in place of red wine. A dry Marsala wine also works great with the flavors of the stroganoff.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix: To add even more depth of flavor to this recipe, I add in homemade dry onion soup mix. This copycat blend of spices gives this dish just the right finishing touch. I also mix in a bit of dried thyme, but that is optional as well.
- Sour Cream--gives this dish a creamy finish; you can certainly use plain yogurt in place of sour cream
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, add the oil, and allow to heat for a couple of minutes
- Once the instant pot has heated, add in ground beef and the minced onion sauteeing until the meat is browned.
- If needed, drain off any excess grease and return the inner pot back to the Instant Pot.
- To the browned meat, add butter, or additional olive oil, mushrooms, minced garlic, and the dried seasonings.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms just begin to soften and then turn the pressure cooker off.
- Pour in the red wine, or stock if not using wine, and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, using a wooden spatula. In order to get up any browned bits and to prevent potential burn warnings, this is a crucial step.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock.
- Add the noodles and gently push them into the sauce to submerge. It is okay if the noodles aren't completely submerged in the liquid, but use care to push down the noodles so at least a portion of all the noodles are touching the beef stock.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes (hit manual and adjust time by using +/_ buttons until the timer reads 5).
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
- Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure--be sure to stand away from the vent knob when releasing pressure.
- Stir in the sour cream into the noodles and beef until creamy and well combined.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Leftovers: Leftovers of this dish can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. I don't recommend freezing the leftovers.
- Reheating: To reheat the stroganoff, I suggest adding a bit of stock or water to keep the noodles moist and reheat in the microwave.
- Lower Sodium: To reduce the sodium in this recipe, use low-sodium stock and omit the salt, or cut the salt in half, in the Dried Onion Soup mix.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
When you need a one-pot meal that the entire family will love and you can feel good about the quality of ingredients, this Instant Pot Stroganoff never disappoints. If you enjoyed this meal, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean sirloin or ground turkey
- ¼ cup minced onion optional
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or additional olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Dry Onion Soup Mix see notes for recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 3 ½ cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles whole wheat or regular
- 1 cup sour cream
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and allow to heat up.
- Once the instant pot has heated, add in the olive oil, ground meat, and minced onion if using. . Brown the meat, breaking up into small pieces.
- Once the meat is mostly browned, add in the butter (or additional olive oil), mushrooms, thyme, and Dried Onion Soup Mix. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the meat is fully browned. Turn off the pressure cooker.
- Add the wine (or stock) and scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Stir in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to Instant Pot. Add in noodles and gently push down into sauce.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes (hit manual and adjust time by using +/_ buttons until timer reads 5).
- Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure--be sure stand away from vent knob when releasing pressure.
- Stir in sour cream into stroganoff and serve.