Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is a comforting family meal made from start to finish in the Instant Pot in less than 30 minutes! Made with a from-scratch mushroom sauce, this easy Instant Pot recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Instead of using canned mushroom soup, this recipe for Instant Pot Stroganoff starts with a simple homemade mushroom gravy that is rich in flavor and super easy to make. Add in a blend of seasonings that mimics Dy Onion Soup Mix, this recipe will NOT disappoint in flavor.
Why the Instant Pot Version is Best
Friends, my whole family gets excited when I make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff. They loved the stovetop version for years, but all agree this Instant Pot version is better.
And I know why–the noodles are cooked right in the delicious sauce, soaking in all that great flavor.
But let me you why I love this recipe so much more than the original.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff only requires one pan and is ready in less than 30 minutes!!! YAY for an easy instant pot recipe my entire family DEVOURS!
This pressure cooker beef stroganoff is made with a delicious from-scratch gravy that is elevated with thyme and red wine. It is so much better than any stroganoff made with canned cream soup–but it is just as easy to make!
Notes on Ingredients
- Ground Meat–I prefer lean ground beef, but ground turkey or ground chicken both work for this recipe.
- Mushrooms-Button mushrooms work, but baby portabella mushrooms (AKA Bella mushrooms) will give this dish the best flavor.
- Red Wine–dry red wine, like Merlot or Cabernet, adds a lot of depth to this homemade stroganoff, but feel free to use additional stock in place of red wine.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix–To add even more depth of flavor to this recipe, I add in homemade dry onion soup mix. This copycat blend of spices gives this dish just the right finishing touch.
- Sour Cream–gives this dish a creamy finish; you can certainly use plain yogurt in place of sour cream
Step One: Saute the Ground Meat
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and allow to heat until Instant Pot reads, hot.
- Once the instant pot has heated, add in the olive oil and ground beef.
- Brown the meat, breaking up into small pieces, as it browns.
If at this point you have a lot of grease in the pan, you may want to drain off excess grease and then return your inner pot to the Instant Pot. I do not find this necessary if I use lean ground sirloin or lean ground turkey.
Step Two: Saute Mushrooms
- Once the meat is mostly browned, add in the butter (or additional olive oil), mushrooms, minced garlic, salt pepper, thyme, and onion powder.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the meat is fully browned.
- Turn off the pressure cooker.
Step Three: Deglaze Instant Pot.
In order to get up any browned bits and to prevent potential burn warnings, you need to properly deglaze the inner pot your pressure cooker.
- Pour in the red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and beef stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, using a wooden spatula.
Step Four: Add the Noodles
- Add the noodles to the inner pot and gently push into the sauce to submerge. Be sure the noodles are just covered with the liquid.
Step Five: Pressure Cook
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes (hit manual and adjust time by using +/_ buttons until the timer reads 5).
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
- Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure–be sure to stand away from the vent knob when releasing pressure.
Step Six: Add Sour Cream
- Stir in the sour cream into the noodles and beef until creamy and well combined.
- Serve immediately.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
When you need a one-pot meal that the entire family will love and you can feel good about the quality of ingredients, this Instant Pot Stroganoff never disappoints.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean sirloin or ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or additional olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Dry Onion Sou Mix see notes for recipe
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 3 1/2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles whole wheat or regular
- 1 cup sour cream
- Once instant pot has heated, add in the olive oil and ground meat. Brown the meat, breaking up into small pieces.
- Once the meat is mostly browned, add in the butter (or additional olive oil), mushrooms, garlic, salt pepper, thyme, and onion powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until the meat is fully browned. Turn off the pressure cooker.
- Add the wine (or stock) and scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Stir in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to Instant Pot. Add in noodles and gently push down into sauce.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes (hit manual and adjust time by using +/_ buttons until timer reads 5).
- Once cook time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure--be sure stand away from vent knob when releasing pressure.
- Stir in sour cream into stroganoff and serve.
- If using ground meat with more than 10% fat content, you will want to drain off excess grease BEFORE adding in the mushrooms and butter.
- For the dry red wine, use a merlot or cabernet. Marsala wine also works well in this dish but will be a bit sweeter. Never use cooking wine---only wine that is suitable for drinking.
- For the Homemade Dried Onion Soup Mix: use 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon celery powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- See Instant Pot High Altitude Conversion if cooking 2500+ feet above sea level.