Instant Pot Stroganoff is an easy all-in-one meal made with ground beef, egg noodles, and a homemade creamy mushroom sauce that goes from pot to table in less than 30 minutes!
Inspired by my recipe for Homemade Beef Stroganoff, Instant Pot Stroganoff is faster and easier to make, yet just as delicious as the classic recipe.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is one of my family's favorite dinner recipes and has quickly become a fan favorite, with good reason!
This recipe for Instant Pot Stroganoff, like my recipes for Instant Pot Tuna Noodle Casserole and Instant Pot Hamburger Helper, is a one-pot 30-minute meal that is made with wholesome ingredients you can feel good serving to those you love.
why you'll love this recipe
- No Condensed Soup. Instead of using condensed mushroom soup, this recipe for Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff starts with a simple homemade mushroom gravy that is rich in flavor and incredibly easy to make, delivering the classic flavors you know and love without the addition of preservatives or excessive sodium.
- One-Pan Dinner. Not only does the fact that the egg noodles cook right in the delicious beef and mushroom gravy mean you ony have one pan to wash, but it is one of the reasons this recipe for Instant Pot Stroganoff is so flavorful.
- Easy Weeknight Meal. One pan, 30 minutes, and a handful of ingredients are all you need to deliver this beef stroganoff to your family.
- Picky Eater-Approved. Thanks to the creamy noodles and the ground beef, even the picky kids love this Stroganoff recipe.
Notes On Ingredients
- Ground Meat: You can use lean ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken to make Instant Pot Stroganoff.
- Mushrooms: Button mushrooms work, but baby portabella mushrooms (AKA Bella mushrooms) will give this ground beef stroganoff the best flavor. And for really picky eaters, omit the mushrooms.
- Red Wine: Dry red wine, like Merlot or Cabernet, adds a lot of depth to this homemade stroganoff, but feel free to use additional stock in place of red wine. A dry Marsala wine also works great with the flavors of the stroganoff.
- Dry Onion Soup Mix: To add even more depth of flavor to this recipe, I add a homemade blend of spices that you likely have on hand to mimic the flavor of dry onion soup mix without the preservatives.
- Egg Noodles: The cook time for this beef stroganoff instant pot recipe has been calculated using egg noodles, but you can use either regular or whole wheat egg noodles with no change to the recipe.
- Sour Cream: To finish the stroganoff, I recommend stirring in sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to give this dish a creamy finish.
How to Make Instant Pot Stroganoff
While this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is incredibly simple to make, if you are unfamiliar with cooking in an instant pot or the functions of your instant pot, be sure to start with How to Use an Instant Pot for the best results on this and future recipes.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, add the oil, and allow to heat for a couple of minutes
- Once the instant pot has heated, add in ground beef and the minced onion sauteeing until the meat is browned.
- If needed, drain off any excess grease and return the inner pot back to the Instant Pot.
- To the browned meat, add mushrooms and the minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms just begin to soften.
- With the pressure cooker still turned to the saute function, add in the wine and using a spatula, scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, to prevent potential burn warning.
- Allow the wine to cook for 1-2 minutes to reduce slightly and for the alcohol to cook off. Once reduced, hit cancel to turn off the saute function.
- Stir in the dried seasonings, worcestershire sauce, and beef stock.
- Add the noodles and gently push them into the sauce to submerge. It is okay if the noodles aren't completely submerged in the liquid, but use care to push down the noodles so at least a portion of all the noodles are touching the beef stock.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and be sure the lid is locked and sealed. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time to cook the egg noodles through perfectly.
- After 5 minutes, do a quick release of any remaining pressure, by knocking the venting knob from the sealed to the venting position. Be sure to stand away from the vent knob when releasing pressure to protect yourself from steam.
- Open the lid on the Instant Pot. Add the sour cream into the noodles and beef and stir until creamy and well combined.
- Serve immediately.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Leftover Instant Pot Stroganoff can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat the stroganoff, I suggest adding a bit of stock or water to keep the noodles moist and reheat in the microwave in a heat safe dish until warmed through.
I don't recommend freezing leftover beef stroganoff due to the fact the sour cream can separate once thawed.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
If you enjoyed this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Instant Pot Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- ¼ cup minced onion optional
- 16 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms or button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Dry Onion Soup Mix see notes for recipe for homemade blend
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles whole wheat or regular
- 1 cup sour cream
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and allow to heat up.
- Once the instant pot has heated, add in the olive oil, ground meat, and minced onion if using. Brown the meat, breaking up into small pieces.
- Once the meat is mostly browned, add in garlic and mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes or until the meat is fully browned. If needed, drain off excess oil and then return the inner pot back to the Instant Pot.
- While the Instant Pot is still on the saute function, add in the wine, and scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot, while letting the wine reduce and the alcohol cook off. After 1-2 minutes turn off the saute function by hitting cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Add the beef broth, dried onion soup mix, and Worcestershire sauce to Instant Pot and stir to combine. Add in noodles and gently push down into sauce. It is okay if they are not fully submerged, just be sure they are in an even layer.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and be sure the lid is locked and knob is sealed or pointed towards "sealed" not venting. Set to cook on high pressure by hitting the manual or pressure cook button and adjusting to 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let pressure release naturally for EXACTLY 5 minutes. Then do a quick release of any remaining pressure by carefully knocking the venting knob from the sealed to the venting position. Be sure stand away from vent knob when releasing pressure to protect yourself from the steam.
- Remove the lid, and stir in the sour cream until creamy and combined. Serve immediately with fresh parsley if desired.