This homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix is a simple blend of pantry ingredients that taste just like Lipton Onion Soup Mix. It will become a staple in your pantry and is great for a variety of recipes.
Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
Growing up, my mom always had Lipton Onion Soup Mix in her pantry.
This dried blend of seasonings was just what a variety of recipes called for to enhance flavor.
I use Dry Onion Soup Mix in my own kitchen now. But instead of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, I make my own.
By making your own version of Lipton Onion Soup, you save money AND skip all those nasty preservatives and additives like MSG added to the store bought brands. Plus homemade dry onion soup is gluten-free, paleo, whole 30 approved, egg free, corn free, and vegan.
Making Homemade Onion Soup Mix perfect for anyone who has dietary restrictions, but still wants the flavor punch that a packet of dried onion soup packs!
Ingredients for Copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix
The ingredients for this seasoning blend are simple and probably ones you have in your pantry right this minute. My only advice is to be sure your dried seasonings are no older than 6 months for the maximum flavor.
How to use Dry Onion Soup Mix
This seasoning blend is extremely versatile and can be used to add flavor to so many dishes. I love using for a traditional French Onion Chip Dip or to season roasts, but there are so many creative ways to put this mix to use. Here is a bit of inspiration for you.
- Add a tablespoon or two to rice while cooking for incredible flavor, much like a rice pilaf.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons to pot roast in addition to other seasonings for additional flavor. (you may want to cut added salt though!)
- Add 2 tablespoons to 1/3 cup olive oil mixed with 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and use as a marinades for meats or vegetables before grilling/roasting.
- Add 1 tablespoon to meatloaf mixture before baking.
- Toss with cubed potatoes before roasting or pan frying for a delicious coating of flavor.
Additional Homemade Spice Blends
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Homemade Dill Seasoning
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
Dry Onion Soup Mix
- ½ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp celery powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine the spices together in a small mixing bowl, until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 months in the pantry for best flavor.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- This recipe yield 2 packets of Dried Onion Soup.
- When a recipe calls for 1 packet of Dried Onion Soup mix, use 1/4 cup of this homemade blend.
- The sugars come from the natural sugars in the onions.