Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is an easy crock-pot recipe for a healthy, yet hearty white chicken chili. Made with a rich broth, white beans, green chilies, and tender chicken, this Crock Pot White Chicken Chili is a a creamy, comforting, slightly spicy meal.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Crock Pot White Chicken Chili is an all time favorite recipe at my house. It is full of incredible flavor, super easy to make, and it pleases picky eaters. I also love that it is gluten free and dairy free, so that I can serve it to my friends and family with dietary restrictions and allergies.
Instead this recipe is made with chicken, white beans, and green chilies, for a lighter chili recipe that is still hearty and comforting. The broth is rich, thick, and perfectly spiced from the garlic, cumin, and chilies. The chicken cooks to tender perfection and then is shredded, so that every bite is loaded with chicken.
Not to mention, White Chicken Chili is almost effortless to make, as it comes together easily in the slow cooker. Making this recipe perfect for busy nights!
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Chicken Stock: Homemade chicken stock or low-sodium store bought broth both work.
- Green Chilies: A can of diced green chilies is essential to the flavor in crockpot white chicken chili. Do not overlook this ingredient.
- White Beans: This recipe calls for 2 (15 ounce) cans of white northern beans. Only drain one can–the thick canning liquid gives the chili a nice salty taste and helps to thicken the chili up.
- Spices/Herbs: Cumin to give this chili a smoky flavor. Bay leaves to add depth. Minced garlic and onion powder for flavor. Cayenne pepper for a bit of heat.
- Optional: If you are desiring a creamy chicken chili, you can add 4 ounces of cream cheese to slow cooker for last 30 minutes of cook time.
Key Tips for Making Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
Shredding the Chicken
- Once the chili has been cooked in the crock-pot, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with either 2 forks or by using a hand held mixer.
- Set the shredded chicken aside while thickening the sauce.
Thickening the Sauce
The key to this Healthy White Chicken Chili, is that the chili is thickened by pureeing part of beans and broth together. You only want to puree 2 cups of the broth and bean mixture. That is just enough to thicken the soup and still leave texture in this White Chicken Chili. Be sure to puree the mixture once the bay leaves and chicken is removed from the chili–no one wants to eat pureed chicken or bay leaves!
To puree the sauce, place 2 cups of the beans and broth mixture into a blender. Place the lid on the blender but leave cracked to allow a bit of the hot steam to escape. Blend until smooth and stir back into slow cooker.
Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender. This method will cut down on the number of dishes you have, but be sure to only puree a bit of the chili to keep the texture of the chili intact.
Serving White Chicken Chili
Crock-Pot White Chicken Chili is delicious served plain. But it is extra delicious when served with shredded cheese, sliced avocado, sour cream, and corn chips or with a side of homemade cornbread muffins.
If you have leftover slow cooker white chicken chili, you can store for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or freeze cooled chili for up to 3 months in freezer safe containers or bags. To cook from frozen, defrost white chicken chili in fridge overnight and then reheat on stove, on low in slow cooker or in microwave.
More Comforting Crock Pot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Oatmeal
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small onion finely minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern White beans see note
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded montery jack or cheddar cheese, feta cheese, salsa verde, tortilla chips
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, mix together the stock, cumin, onion powder, minced garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, bay leaves, onion, and chilies. Pour in 1 can of white beans without draining, and then rinse and drain the other can of beans and add to the slow cooker as well. Nestle the chicken in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on cutting board or in bowl.
- While the chicken is removed from the slow cooker, use a hand held immersion blender to puree part of the chili--you only want to puree about 2 cups of the chili, as you want some of the beans to still remain whole. Alternatively, you can place 2 cups of the chili into a blender and blend until smooth and mix back into the slow cooker. (If blending, be sure to leave the lid on your blender open a crack to let steam escape.)
- Slice up the chicken into bite size pieces, of use a hand held kitchen mixer to quickly shred your chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Top with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, and/or cilantro.
- Be sure to only rinse and drain one can of the beans. The thick liquid from the canned beans helps to thicken and flavor this White Chicken Chili recipe.
- Store leftover Chicken Chili in the fridge for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you want a super creamy, decadent White Chicken Chili, add 4 ounces softened cream cheese to the crockpot for the last 30 minutes of cook time.