Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili: An easy crock-pot recipe for a healthy white chicken chili. This recipe is a tried and true family favorite.
It is never a good sign when Mom wakes up feeling a bit quaky.
And unfortunately, that was me the past three days and when I am queasy, the last thing I want to do is eat, let alone COOK.
I had pulled out some chicken breasts to defrost in plans to make Chicken Marsala—that was just not going to happen! I did not have the energy or the desire to eat one of my favorite dishes.
I needed a recipe with NO EFFORT, as I had zero energy!
Normally, I would pull out one of my 10 Meals to Cook when I am too tired to cook, but I needed to use up that chicken I had defrosted and I also knew it had to be something that I could try to force myself to eat.
Due to my health issues, I can not afford to take even one day off eating.
Thankfully, despite of my lack of appetite, I remembered a dish that was unbelievably easy and so comforting–Crock Pot White Chicken Chili.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili is warming to the belly and soul.
This chicken is hearty, yet light and the subtle spices are not overpowering for sensitive tummies or palates.
And besides the unbelievable taste that this chili dish delivers, it comes together in mere minutes.
Perfect for busy days, chilly days, and sick days!
I seriously dumped a few ingredients into the crock-pot and returned myself to my bed until my kids made their way home from school.
That night, I was able to dish my family up a hearty soup that would fill them up and I was able to delicately sip on the chicken soup, filling myself with comfort and nourishment my body desperately needed.
Whether you are sick, need a quick meal, need a hearty chili for a cook-off, or just desiring a comforting soup, this White Chicken Chili is for you.
Tips for this Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe
- I have used made this white chicken chili recipe with both canned white beans and with cooked dried white beans. If using dried beans you have cooked, you may need to add in 1 teaspoon more of kosher salt. If using canned beans, only drain one can–the thick canning liquid gives the chili a nice salty taste and helps thicken the chili up.
- Most white chicken chili recipes are made creamy with either cream cheese, shredded cheese or cream. I keep this Chicken Chili Dairy-Free and then top with shredded cheese if desired. It is still every bit as delicious as creamy white chicken chili.
- Since this crock pot chicken chili is gluten-free and dairy-free, it is a great recipe to entertain people with food allergies.
- Serve this white chicken chili with sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese and corn chips if desired.
To Freeze this White Chicken Chili
If you have leftover slow cooker white chicken chili, you can freeze for future use. Allow the chili to cool and then place in freezer safe containers or bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost white chicken chili in fridge overnight and then reheat on stove, on low in slow cooker or in microwave.
Recipe for Healthy White Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
An easy and healthy recipe for chicken chili using white beans.
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cans can diced green chilis
- 2 cans cans Great Northern White beans or 4 cups cooked white beans
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded montery jack or cheddar cheese, feta cheese, salsa verde, tortilla chips
Place all the ingredients into crock-pot except for toppings. Give a quick stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Discard the bay leaves and remove the chicken to shred/cut into bite size pieces and return to soup.
Top with your favorite toppings.
My personal favorites are Greek yogurt and salsa verde.
If you liked this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with White Beans, you may also like:
Featured on Meal Plan Monday.