This Easy Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet is an easy 30-minute recipe that is full of flavor and nutrients! Made with chicken, sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, and taco seasoning, this simple skillet dinner is sure to become a family favorite.
This Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet is a recipe I love to turn to when I need something fast and flavorful. It is made in one pan, ready in 30 minutes, uses inexpensive ingredients, and is loaded with fiber, protein, and nutrients. And it is absolutely delicious!
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or thighs.
- Sweet Potatoes: Use peeled, cubed sweet potatoes.
- Black Beans: While I recommend I personally prefer the flavor combination of black beans with sweet potatoes, you can opt to use pinto beans or red beans in their place.
- Corn: Use frozen corn kernels rather than canned corn, for the best flavor and to help control the sodium.
- Taco Seasoning: Homemade Taco Seasoning is always best in terms of flavor and sodium content, but use a packaged blend if that is what you have on hand.
- Chicken Stock: You need a bit of liquid to help the dish cook. While low-sodium chicken broth is best, you can certainly add water if you don't have stock on hand.
- Cheese: Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican Blend of shredded cheese all work well in this Tex-Mex Skillet.
- Lime: Don't overlook the addition of lime zest and lime juice. It really takes this skillet over the top in terms of flavor.
- Use leftover chicken. While this recipe calls for raw chicken, you can opt to use leftover rotisserie chicken. Skip the step of browning the chicken and just add the leftover diced or shredded cooked chicken to the skillet when adding the corn and beans.
- Swap the chicken for sausage. Another great option in place of using chicken breasts or chicken thighs would be to use precooked sausages, such as al fresco jalapeno chicken sausage or andouille sausage. Slice the sausage and sear on each side, remove from the skillet, and proceed with the recipe as directed.
- Keep it dairy-free (or lower-calorie). Simply omit the cheese.
Tips for this Easy Chicken Sweet Potato Recipe
The following tips are provided to help you achieve perfect results. You will find the detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Sear the chicken. Taking a few minutes to sear seasoned chicken will help to add a nice texture to the meal AND seal in the moisture in the chicken.
- Saute the sweet potatoes. It is best to allow time for the sweet potatoes to cook a bit on their own before adding the other ingredients. This will allow the sweet potatoes to caramelize and cook through, as the corn and beans don't take as long to cook as the sweet potatoes.
- Add lime juice. Adding lime zest and lime juice to this chicken and sweet potato recipe will make everything pop and turn a good dish into a GREAT dish.
This Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Skillet has so much flavor and so filling, that it is a complete meal all in itself. However, adding minced cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, Homemade Guacamole, or diced avocado is not a bad idea.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Refrigerate: Allow the dish to cool slightly and then transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: I don't recommend freezing the leftovers, as the texture of the sauteed sweet potato changes when reheated. That said, it is perfectly safe to freeze for up to 1 month.
- Reheat: Place leftovers in a heat-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through.
More Easy Tex-Mex Recipes
- Baked Black Bean Tacos
- Southwestern Chicken Cobb Salad
- Instant Pot Burrito Bowl
- Ground Turkey Taco Skillet
I would love to know how you enjoy this easy 30-minute chicken and sweet potato recipe! Be sure to leave a comment and let me know.
Tex-Mex Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning divided
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) can black bean rinsed and drained.
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese optional
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and add in a teaspoon of oil.
- Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons of taco seasoning and then brown the chicken on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side, and then remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining amount of oil to the skillet along with sweet potatoes. Brown sweet potatoes on each side, flipping every couple of minutes. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in black beans, corn, remaining taco seasoning, and chicken stock. Stir everything together and let simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until sweet potatoes are tender, and chicken stock has evaporated. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the zest and juice of the lime, and stir to combine.
- If desired, top the skillet with a generous layer of shredded cheese, cover the skillet with a lid, and let the cheese melt.
- Serve as desired.