Mom’s Pizza Loaf: My mom’s take on meatloaf–a mixture of ground beef, Italian sausage, and pizza seasonings that stuffed with cheese! This Pizza Loaf tastes nothing like traditional meatloaf but just like pizza and is sure to be a hit with your family as much as it is with mine! #SundaySupper
This week, Sunday Supper is all about Mom’s. Not what our mom’s would love for us to make them, but what we remember as a dish associated with our own mom’s. And nothing reminds me more of my childhood dinners around our oak dinner table, than Pizza Loaf.
What you ask, is Pizza Loaf? My mom’s take on meatloaf. In fact, I had never even tasted a tradtional meatloaf until my late 20s. When my mom made meatloaf, she mixed up a mixture of flavorful meat, pizza sauce and stuffed it with gooey cheese and baked smoothered in more pizza sauce and topped with more cheese–sounds pretty awesome, huh? Just look at that cheese oozing out when you slice it!
Dinner at my house as a child was a family event.
We gathered around our large dining room table and fought about where each of us kids got to sit (we had to resort to rotations between the 4 kids between who got to sit by mom and who my dad, etc). We always had to drink milk and dinner was often one of mom’s go-tos like tacos, chicken pot pie, spaghetti with mom’s sauce, pot roast, pizza bread, or Amish chicken.
But we could always count on Pizza Loaf with parsley potatoes and canned green beans.
It was one of my Dad’s favorites. It was one of the kids’ favorites. Heck, I bet it was one of my mom’s favorites, because it made us all happy and is not that hard to make!
You simply mix up the meat with a few seasonings. Flatten out and top with cheese. Roll into shape of loaf. Place on broiler pan and top with additional sauce and cheese.
My mom and I chuckle about this meal now, as it is one neither one of us have made in nearly a decade–the Pizza Loaf is great, but honestly something we had both forgotten about for years.
Now both of us, like to cook things that are bit lighter, like this Paleo Meatloaf from Nostastic.
But let me tell you, I made this recipe just like Mom and served it up just like Mom would with the parsely potatoes and canned beans and my family RAVED about it!
Every last bit was devoured and they have been begging me to make it again.
Mom's Pizza Loaf #SundaySupper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage I used ground Italian chicken sausage
- 1 cup pizza sauce divided
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 eggs whisked
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces 1 cup shredded or sliced Mozzarella or Provolone cheese, divided
Mix meat with eggs, bread crumbs, salt, oregano,parsley, parmesan and 1/3 cup
Flatten and top with 2/3 cup mozzarella or provolone cheese.
Roll meat around cheese and shape in loaf.
Place meat on broiler pan or loaf pan and top with remaining sauce and cheese.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour.
I guess it goes to show you, sometimes you don’t mess with the recipes of your childhood. They survived the test of time, because they were family pleasers and typically without fancy ingredients. I mean take a look at those side dishes–the potatoes are just boiled and then tossed with butter, salt and dried parsley and the green beans are served from the can. But simple sometimes can be best.
I would love to know, What dish do you associate with your Mom? Check out what my #SundaySupper Family remembers when they think of Mom. There are some great recipes here!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.