Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes: Leftover ham shines in a simple ham and potato casserole made with sliced potatoes and a homemade sharp cheddar cheese sauce. This recipe for scalloped potatoes and ham is great as a side dish or a main course when served with a side of veggies .
Every once in awhile I strike gold when I least expect it. Cheesy Scalloped Ham and Potatoes was one of those times.
I am always in my kitchen dreaming up new recipes and many times we have something new and delicious like Sweet Potato Nachos or Southwestern Quesadilla Salad, and other times we have disasters–I just don’t share those!
But there are still the days when I am stumped as to what to make my family for dinner.
I typically have a weekly game plan, but there are times, many times, plans change.
I forgot to take out chicken from the freezer or after-school activities run longer than planned–you know how it goes.
Last week it rained on my grocery day. Just like my sweet puppy, I hate to go out in the rain. And I am spoiled. I live in an area where the sun shines more than it doesn’t. So if it happens be raining and I have enough food to change-up my shopping day, you better believe that I refuse to put my rain boots on.
On this particularly gloomy day, I checked around in my pantry and found some potatoes leftover from a huge 10 pound Costco special and some leftover Balsamic Fig Glazed Ham pushed to the back of the fridge.
Hmmm, how did that get overlooked? I was wanting to make ham sandwiches earlier that week and thought the ham was gone. I can be blind at times.
Well lucky for us, the leftover ham became the inspiration to:
Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
My dad always made scalloped potatoes when my mom prepared ham. However, I did not have enough ham to serve on the side of the potatoes–so let’s put it into the homemade scalloped potatoes, I thought to myself.
And I decided instead of my Dad’s traditional butter sauce, I wanted a cheese sauce.
My kids would want a cheese sauce. YOU want a cheese sauce! Don’t you?!
Oh yes, the ham gets slathered in cheese and a bit crispy on top. Now I was onto something.
So my humble leftovers became Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake. My strike of gold. My ticket to praise from my family.
You need these Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham in your life. You need to strike some gold yourself. You need to hear that praise. It is so much better than just a serving of ham with scalloped potatoes.
A Few Notes on Scalloped Potatoes with Ham Recipe:
- My 6 cups of sliced potatoes was between 2 and 3 pounds or 3 large potatoes. I find it is easier for you to measure the potatoes after slicing by cups–unless you happen to have a kitchen scale 😉
- If you like your potatoes really fall apart tender, you can parboil the potatoes whole for 7-9 minutes and then slice any layer in your casserole. This step is not necessary but does make the potatoes very creamy and falling apart tender.
- I used my 2 1/2 quart oval dish but any 2-3 quart casserole dish will work as long as it is deep enough to pour the cheese sauce over.
- I love to use sharp cheddar cheese in this Cheesy Ham Bake for really pronounced cheese flavor, but if you have swiss, colby, or even mozzarella–use that.
- After pouring the cheese sauce over the potatoes, use your hands to push the potatoes and ham into the cheese sauce before baking. This ensures that the nothing dries out.
- The paprika sprinkling on top is COMPLETELY optional. It just adds color.
Ham and Scalloped Potatoes Recipe:
Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
Leftover ham shines in a simple ham and potato casserole made with sliced potatoes and a homemade sharp cheddar cheese sauce.
- 2 cups diced ham
- 6 cups russet potatoes scrubbed and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
Layer half the potatoes in the baking dish and top with 1 cup diced ham. Repeat layers.
Heat the butter over medium heat until melted, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook until milk is just about boiling. Whisk in the cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
Pour the cheese sauce over the ham and potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
If you are using a very salty or smoked ham, decrease the amount of salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
More Recipes Featuring Leftover Ham: