Made with protein-rich quinoa, chicken, smoked sausage, and Cajun Seasoning, Quinoa Jambalaya is an easy one-pot dinner recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes.
There is something about one-pot meals. Maybe because it means fewer dishes. Or maybe it is because it is easy. And who doesn't love easy on busy weeknights?
Either way, I am sure you all need more Healthy 30-Minute Meals and that is why I know you will love this simple version of jambalaya.
Instead of being made with rice, as my recipe Instant Pot Jambalaya, this recipe is made with quinoa, adding an extra boost of protein and a nice texture. And it is just delicious.
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs that have been cubed into bite-size pieces.
- Chicken Stock: Use low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock or Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes are traditional in Jambalaya, but feel free to use tomato sauce if you don't care for the texture of diced tomatoes.
- Smoked Sausage: Use any type of smoked sausage, andouille, or kielbasa you like. I love using an all-natural beef or chicken smoked sausage made without MSG or gluten.
- Quinoa: Use tri-colored or white quinoa and be sure to rinse it well before adding to the dish to remove any bitter flavor.
- Cajun Seasoning: Homemade cajun seasoning adds the best flavor to this simple dish.
How to Make Quinoa Jambalaya
- Heat a bit of oil in a large stock pan over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, add the onions, peppers, sausage, and chicken to the oil and saute until the chicken is seared and the peppers and onions are softened.
- Stir in rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, garlic, cajun seasoning, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid and is tender.
- Remove from the heat, and fluff with a fork.
- Season with hot sauce as desired and dinner is done.
More Easy Flavorful Dinner Recipes
- Easy Fettuccine Alfredo
- Creamy Cajun Pasta
- Taco Pasta
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
If you tried this recipe for Quinoa Jambalaya, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
- ½ cup diced smoked sausage (about 2 ounces)
- ⅓ cup diced green pepper
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional
- Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under running water for 2 minutes until the water runs clear. Set to the side.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken, sausage, peppers, and onions. Saute for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is browned and the onions are softened.
- Add the stock, quinoa, garlic, tomatoes, and cajun seasoning to the pan and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Allow to cook for 20 minutes, or until quinoa is puffed up and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and serve.