Made with andouille sausage, peppers, onions, pasta, and creamy, slightly spicy sauce, this Creamy Cajun Pasta is an easy one-pot meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
My secret to easy weeknight meals is taking ingredients that are jam-packed full of flavor, like andouille sausage and Cajun Seasoning, and using them to bring huge flavor to quick recipes--like Instant Pot Jambalaya, Blackened Mahi Mahi, and this Easy Cajun Pasta Recipe.
Both the sausage and Cajun seasoning are filled with paprika, garlic, onion, and a bit of cayenne pepper for rich, bold flavors that lend the perfect kick to this pasta dinner.
And really, what is better than dumping a few ingredients into a pot and less than 30 minutes later sitting down to a wholesome family meal? Not much in my book!
When dinner can be on the table in less than 30 minutes yet pack as much flavor as this Creamy Cajun Pasta, it deserves to be featured regularly.
Notes on Ingredients
- Sausage: I use smoked andouille sausage to pack a ton of flavor into this pasta recipe. I prefer lean chicken sausage, such as al fresco brand, but feel free to use any type of Cajun-flavored sausage you like.
- Cajun Seasoning: Homemade is the way to go for flavor and to control the sodium content and level of heat.
- Pasta: You want to select a noodle that the sauce can easily adhere to, such as rotini, rigatoni, or elbow noodles.
- Diced Tomatoes: If you, or your kids, don't care for the texture of diced tomatoes, substitute 15 ounces of tomato sauce in their place.
- Cream Cheese: Be sure to use regular or low-fat cream cheese, NOT fat-free cream cheese as it can cause the sauce to separate.
How to Make One Pot Cajun Pasta
- Over medium-high heat, saute sausage, peppers, and onions in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for just a minute longer.
- Add in stock, tomatoes, and seasoning, and bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid is boiling, add in the pasta, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir into pasta. Cook, uncovered until the cream cheese has melted into the pasta, and the pasta is fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
Yes! In place of the andouille sausage, saute cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs and cook as directed.
Yes. I recommend only using Barilla gluten-free noodles, as they don't give off as much starch as other gluten-free brands. You want to check to be sure your sausage and broth are gluten-free as well.
This dish is on the spicier side. However, there are a few things you can do to control the spice level. Choose mild andouille sausage or cubed chicken over traditional spicy andouille. Use ½ tablespoon of Cajun seasoning in place of the full tablespoon, or omit the cayenne pepper from the blend of spices used for Homemade Cajun Seasoning.
More Easy Pasta Dinner Recipes
- Pasta Primavera
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- 5-Ingredient Baked Rotini
- Tuscan Pasta
- Instant Pot Creamy Italian Pasta
If you enjoyed this simple Cajun Pasta, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below!
Creamy Cajun Pasta
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausage sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ⅓ cup diced bell pepper about 1 large pepper, or 3 mini peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 10 ounces rotini pasta
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- In a large stock pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in sausage, peppers, and onions and saute until the onions begin to soften for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add in stock, diced tomatoes, and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Add in pasta, reduce heat to simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add in cream cheese and stir into pasta. Cook until cream cheese has melted and pasta has finished cooking for about 5 minutes.
The whole family loved this one.
I love hearing that Katie!