This recipe for sauteed Zucchini and Squash come together in less than 15 minutes for a quick and healthy side dish.
This simple vegetable saute is one of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini and summer squash. It is light, fresh, and comes together with just a handful of ingredients. It makes a great side dish to serve along with Grilled Shrimp or Honey Garlic Pork Chops.
Anyone who has a summer garden is always looking for zucchini and summer squash recipes.
These vegetables flourish in summer gardens and make a great base for an easy side dish, like this recipe for sauteed summer vegetables.
Tender ribbons of zucchini and yellow squash are sauteed with ribbons of crisp carrots lightly in butter. The zucchini and yellow squash become tender, while the carrots are still crisp-tender, creating the perfect contrast in texture in this simple vegetable side dish.
- Zucchini and Summer Squash: Use any combination of these two squash.
- Carrots: For a pop of color and added texture. Feel free to omit if desired.
- Butter: The butter adds a subtle richness to the vegetables. If you need this dish to be dairy-free or vegan-friendly, use olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper: Add in salt and pepper at end of this vegetable saute. This prevents the vegetables from getting soggy, as the salt causes the vegetables to release liquid.
This vegetable saute is made with ribbons of zucchini, summer squash, and carrots. It sounds complicated and looks fancy, but couldn't be easier to do. All you need to create vegetable ribbons is a vegetable peeler.
- Thoroughly wash and dry vegetables.
- Peel off outer skin if desired, I find that this is not necessary.
- Using your vegetable peeler, make long strands of ribbons
How to Saute Zucchini and Squash
- Over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter to a non-stick skillet.
- Add in the veggies and using tongs, twist, and flip the veggies as they cook.
- Once the zucchini and squash become tender, remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- I love to use butter for this zucchini and squash saute, as the flavor of the butter gives this dish a rich taste.
- You can make veggie saute with just about any vegetables you like that slice well into ribbons. If I don't have fresh carrots, I use only zucchini and squash. Sometimes I just make a simple zucchini saute using this same method.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Italian Baked Vegetables
- Air Fryer Zucchini and Summer Squash
- Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
If you enjoyed this easy vegetable saute, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Sauteed Zucchini and Squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 3 carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash and dry vegetables. Using a vegetable peeler, make long strands of ribbons
- In a 10-12 inch saute pan, melt butter slowly over medium-low heat.
- Add in vegetables and turn heat up to medium-high. Saute for 5 minutes, or until zucchini and squash begin to wilt. Turning and flipping veggies as they cook.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley if desired.
This post was originally published in 2018 but was updated in 2020.