This recipe for sauteed Zucchini and Squash comes together in less than 15 minutes for a quick and healthy side dish.
Anyone who has a summer garden is always looking for zucchini and summer squash recipes.
And this simple vegetable saute is one of my favorite ways to prepare these summer squashes. It is light, fresh, and comes together with just a handful of ingredients.
Tender ribbons of zucchini and yellow squash are sauteed with ribbons of crisp carrots lightly in butter. The zucchini and yellow squash become tender, while the carrots are still crisp-tender, creating the perfect contrast in texture in this simple vegetable side dish.
- Zucchini and Summer Squash: Use any combination of these two squash.
- Carrots: For a pop of color and added texture. Feel free to omit if desired.
- Butter: The butter adds a subtle richness to the vegetables. If you need this dish to be dairy-free or vegan-friendly, use olive oil or vegan butter.
- Seasonings: This is a simple saute and does not require more than salt and pepper in terms of flavor. However, you can serve the sauteed vegetables with hot sauce, opt to add minced garlic to the vegetables for flavor, or even add in some Cajun seasoning in place of the salt and pepper for flair.
How to Make Vegetable Ribbons
This vegetable saute is made with ribbons of zucchini, summer squash, and carrots. It sounds complicated and looks fancy, but couldn't be easier to do. All you need to create vegetable ribbons is a vegetable peeler.
- Thoroughly wash and dry vegetables.
- Peel off outer skin if desired, I find that this is not necessary.
- Using your vegetable peeler, make long strands of ribbons
How to Saute Zucchini and Squash
- Over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter to a non-stick skillet.
- Add in the veggies and using tongs, twist, and flip the veggies as they cook.
- Once the zucchini and squash become tender, remove them from heat.
- Now is the time to season with salt and pepper. This prevents the vegetables from getting soggy, as the salt causes the vegetables to release liquid.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Italian Baked Vegetables
- Air Fryer Zucchini and Summer Squash
- Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
If you enjoyed this easy vegetable saute, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Sauteed Zucchini and Squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large yellow squash
- 3 carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash and dry vegetables. Using a vegetable peeler, make long strands of ribbons
- In a 10-12 inch saute pan, melt butter slowly over medium-low heat.
- Add in vegetables and turn heat up to medium-high. Saute for 5 minutes, or until zucchini and squash begin to wilt. Turning and flipping veggies as they cook.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley if desired.
This post was originally published in 2018 but was updated in 2020.