Homemade Seasoned Salt is a simple all-purpose spice blend that is easy to make and will jazz up any recipe.
You know that little bit of magic you taste in so many restaurant dishes?
Well, it happens to come from the fact that many restaurants do not use plain salt, they use seasoned salt. It truly does add more than one dimension to a dish and leaves your taste buds craving more.
What is seasoned salt?
Seasoned salt sold at most stores contains tables salt, herbs, spices, and often preservatives, monosodium glutamate, and corn syrup solids--not exactly additives I want to be sprinkling on my food.
BUT it does add more flavors to dishes, thanks to the addition of herbs and spices added to the table salt.
By making your own homemade seasoned salt, you can achieve the same enhanced flavor store-bought seasoned salt offers, by simply mixing together a few staple spices.
How to Make Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Mix salt, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and pepper together until the spices are well combined.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months for optimum flavor.
If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, simply reduce or omit the salt for a homemade salt-free all-purpose seasoning (AKA Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend.)
Using Seasoned Salt
Seasoned salt adds SO much flavor to a homemade dish.
This salt blend can be used on just about anything, from potatoes, to soup, to casseroles. I find that adding it to Broccoli Cheese Soup, Homemade Hamburger Helper, or Ham and Bean Soup adds a layer of dimension that can not be replaced with regular salt.
It is also is delicious used in the following ways:
- Season steaks or chicken before cooking/grilling.
- Toss with vegetables before roasting. Homemade Seasoned Salt is delicious on Oven Roasted Broccoli or Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Use to season Roasted Red Potatoes, Homemade French Fries, or Air Fryer Potatoes.
- Use the salt blend to season a breakfast hash or scrambled eggs.
If you tried this blend for Homemade Seasoned Salt, I would love for you to leave a comment and rating below.
DIY Seasoned Salt
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup onion powder
- ¼ cup salt--leave the salt OUT to keep this salt-free or add to make seasoned salt
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Store in air-tight container for up to 6 months.
- Omit salt for homemade salt-free seasoning.
- This recipe makes about 1 cup of seasoned salt. Each serving is calculated for ½ teaspoon each--which is 96 servings.