Homemade Seasoned Salt is a simple all-purpose spice blend that is easy to make and adds flavor to any recipe.
What is Seasoned Salt?
Seasoned salt is an all-purpose blend of seasonings and salt used to add flavor to savory dishes.
In fact, many restaurants use seasoning salt in place of plain salt because it truly does add more dimension and flavor to a dish, leaving your taste buds craving more.
Why Make Seasoned Salt?
Store-bought seasoning salt is not made up of simply salt and other dried spices. Most brands also contain preservatives, monosodium glutamate, and corn syrup solids--not exactly additives I want to be sprinkling on my food.
But you can easily make your own seasoned salt, that will enhance your recipes without the unwanted additives!
What You Need
You probably have everything you need to replicate the flavors of store-bought seasoned salt in your pantry right now.
For this homemade blend, you need salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, paprika, chili powder, and dried parsley. The chili powder may seem like an odd addition, but it adds just enough punch to make your palate wake up and really taste a dish.
How to Make Homemade Seasoned Salt
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and pepper until the spices are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Any homemade spice blend should be stored in a cool, dark pantry with a tight-fitting lid. This will prevent the spice blend from being permeated with other flavors.
Seasoned Salt will last up to 6 months in the pantry. It is safe to consume after 6 months, but the spices will begin to lose their potency, so the spice blend will not be as flavorful.
If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, simply reduce or omit the salt for a homemade salt-free all-purpose seasoning (AKA Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend.)
Using Seasoned Salt
This seasoning salt can be used in place of salt to add additional depth of flavor in just about any savory recipe. It is delicious on meat, vegetables, potatoes, and to season soups and casseroles.
- Add flavor to meat by using in place of salt to season chicken, steaks, pork, seafood prior to cooking.
- Homemade Seasoned Salt is a simple way to add flavor to roasted vegetables, like Roasted Broccoli or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
- Give your potatoes more flavor by replacing the salt with homemade seasoned salt in recipes such as Roasted Red Potatoes, Baked Fries, or Air Fryer Potatoes.
- Use the seasoned salt blend to season a breakfast hash or scrambled eggs.
- My recipes for Broccoli Cheese Soup, Homemade Hamburger Helper, and Ham and Bean Soup all call for using seasoned salt, as it adds a layer of dimension that can not be replicated with regular salt.
If you tried this blend for Homemade Seasoned Salt, I would love for you to leave a comment and rating below.
Homemade Seasoned Salt
- ¼ cup garlic powder
- ¼ cup onion powder
- ¼ cup salt see note
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together until the spices are well distributed through the salt. and store in an airtight container.
- Store the seasoning salt in an airtight container in a cool, dark pantry for up to 6 months.