Twice Baked Butternut Squash: Nutty butternut squash has been baked until tender and then mixed with Parmesan cheese, butter and re-baked to enhance the butternut squash flavor.
There is something about baked butternut squash.
I have always looked forward to when butternut squash is back in season. As a child, and even now as an adult, I love baked butternut squash. Plain or just with a bit of butter and salt, I adore it.
But when Butternut Squash is combined with Parmesan cheese and stuffed back into the squash’s shell and baked twice, humble baked squash turns into something spectacular.
Parmesan Baked Butternut Squash
Just like a twice-baked potato, butternut squash has been baked up and then the flesh is mashed and combined with seasonings, butter, and cheese and then placed back into the squash shell and re-baked.
Who would have thought that something so simple could taste so good. But simple is often best–especially when butternut squash is mild, yet nutty–which the butter and Parmesan work to enhance.
How to Make Twice Baked Butternut Squash
Slice Butternut Squash
- Slice off the bottom of the butternut squash.
- Slice the squash in half, lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out all the seeds and discard (or save to roast.)
- If you have a hard time slicing your butternut squash, microwave whole squash for 5 minutes on high before slicing.
Bake Butternut Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place squash, cut sides down, in a large rimmed baking dish.
- Pour water into dish around squash halves.
- Bake until tender.
Make Butternut Squash Mash
- Scoop out flesh of the squash, being careful to leave shell of squash intact.
- Mix flesh with butter, Parmesan and salt and pepper.
Twice Baked Butternut Squash
- Scoop mixture back into one half of the squash.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and return to oven.
- Bake until cheese is browned and golden.
How to Make Parmesan Baked Squash in Advance
If you are looking to make this dish in advance, which is a great idea for a holiday meal or entertaining, follow these steps.
- Bake the butternut squash as directed.
- Once the squash has cooled, remove flesh and make Parmesan Mash.
- Re-stuff Butternut Squash Half and place in large baking dish.
- Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- On day of serving, remove squash from fridge while oven is preheating to come to room temperature.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until warmed through.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash Taco Bowl
Baked Butternut Squash Recipe
Twice Baked Butternut Squash
Butternut squash's delicate flavor is highlighted with butter and Parmesan for an easy side dish.
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut bottom of squash and cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds.
Place squash, cut sides down, in a large rimmed baking dish. Pour water into dish around squash halves.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until flesh is fork tender.
Remove squash from oven and turn oven up to 375 degrees. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Scoop out flesh of the squash, being careful to leave shell of squash intact, and mix with butter, salt, pepper and cheese.
Scoop mixture back into one half of the squash. Sprinkle with more cheese and return to oven.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden and melted.