Filled with southwestern seasoning, roasted butternut squash, and kale, this Butternut Squash Rice Bowl is a simple, wholesome, vegan friendly recipe. This rice dish is a great recipe to use butternut squash and makes a hearty plant based meal.
This rice bowl comes together easily and I make it often. But it can be prepared in minutes when you put leftovers to work for you! Use leftover roasted butternut squash, leftover Instant Pot brown rice, and leftover kale from a Kale Pasta to have this dish ready in just minutes!
Butternut Squash Rice Bowl
This recipe for a rice bowl is beyond simple, yet it is unexpectedly delicious.
It started out as an attempt to use up leftovers I had in my fridge from the week. A little bit of brown rice, some leftover roasted butternut squash, and half a bag of baby kale. I threw it all together with some homemade salsa, and was so blown away by the flavors, I knew I had to share this easy creation with you!
The pairing of the sweet roasted squash with the spicy salsa and hearty rice is just perfection. This was not just a tasty dish, but an easy, healthy, and vegan friendly recipe as well. It is a great way to use up leftovers, or a great recipe to meal prep for plant based lunches for the week. I also love serving this rice as a side to Vegetarian Fajitas.
Substitutions and Modifications
This recipe for Butternut Squash Rice Bowl can be changed up based on what you have in your pantry and fridge, or your taste preferences. And don’t just limit serving this creation in a bowl–check out my other ideas to make this dish a bit more substantial.
- If you have spinach instead of kale, use that!
- If you have sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash, that would work as well.
- Want to roll the rice mixture in a burrito for an on the go lunch? I think that is a GREAT idea! What about serving in a lettuce cup? I like the sounds of that!
- Don’t have salsa? Use diced tomatoes with green chiles in place of the salsa.
- Would you rather have a Quinoa Butternut Squash Bowl? Use leftover Instant Pot Quinoa in place of leftover rice. Or prepare as recipe states, using quinoa in place of rice. Just be sure to adjust the cook time.
- If you aren’t vegan, this is great topped with feta or sharp cheddar cheese.
Looking for more Vegan Butternut Squash Rice Recipes?
This vegan rice bowl is a favorite, but I have many more delicious ways to enjoy butternut squash sans dairy and eggs.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup-there are directions to make this soup vegan friendly (and it is just as good as the original recipe!)
Vegan Butternut Squash Rice Bowl
- Combine broth, salsa, and taco seasoning together and bring to a boil.
- Add in rice or quinoa and lower to simmer and cook until grain is tender, about 50 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squahs fresh kale and let wilt before serving.
- To Roast Butternut Squahs: Cube 1 squash in 1 inch cubes and toss in 2 teaspoons oil. Roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until browned and fork tender.
- If you have pre-cooked rice and already roasted squash, prepare this dish by mixing together 2 cups brown rice, 2 cups roasted butternut squash, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup fresh chopped kale and 1 teaspoon homemade taco seasoning. Heat in microwave for 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- To use quinoa in place of rice, rinse 1 cup of quinoa well. Bring quinoa, 2 cups of water, and taco seasoning to a rapid boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In place of taco seasoning, use 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika.