Filled with southwestern seasoning, roasted butternut squash, and kale, this Butternut Squash Rice Bowl is a simple, wholesome, vegan-friendly recipe. This rice dish is a great recipe to use butternut squash and makes a hearty plant-based meal.
This rice bowl comes together easily and I make it often. But it can be prepared in minutes when you put leftovers to work for you! Use leftover roasted butternut squash, leftover Instant Pot brown rice, and leftover kale from a Kale Pasta to have this dish ready in just minutes!
This recipe for a rice bowl is beyond simple, yet it is unexpectedly delicious.
It started out as an attempt to use up the leftovers I had in my fridge from the week. A little bit of brown rice, some leftover roasted butternut squash, and half a bag of baby kale. I threw it all together with some homemade salsa, and was so blown away by the flavors, I knew I had to share this easy creation with you!
The pairing of the sweet roasted squash with the spicy salsa and hearty rice is just perfection. This was not just a tasty dish, but an easy, healthy, and vegan-friendly recipe as well. It is a great way to use up leftovers or a great recipe to meal prep for plant-based lunches for the week. I also love serving this rice as a side to Vegetarian Fajitas.
Substitutions and Modifications
This recipe for Butternut Squash Rice Bowl can be changed up based on what you have in your pantry and fridge, or your taste preferences. And don't just limit serving this creation in a bowl--check out my other ideas to make this dish a bit more substantial.
- If you have spinach instead of kale, use that!
- If you have sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash, that would work as well.
- Want to roll the rice mixture in a burrito for an on the go lunch? I think that is a GREAT idea! What about serving in a lettuce cup? I like the sounds of that!
- Don't have salsa? Use diced tomatoes with green chiles in place of the salsa.
- Would you rather have a Quinoa Butternut Squash Bowl? Use leftover Instant Pot Quinoa in place of leftover rice. Or prepare as the recipe states, using quinoa in place of rice. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time.
- If you aren't vegan, this is great topped with feta or sharp cheddar cheese.
Looking for more Vegan Butternut Squash Rice Recipes?
This vegan rice bowl is a favorite, but I have many more delicious ways to enjoy butternut squash sans dairy and eggs.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Vegan Butternut Squash Rice Bowl
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice, quinoa, or lentil (or mix)
- 2 cups roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup baby kale chopped
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- Combine broth, salsa, and taco seasoning together and bring to a boil.
- Add in rice or quinoa and lower to simmer and cook until grains are tender, according to package directions. For brown rice, this is about 50 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff with a fork. Gently stir in roasted squash and fresh kale. Cover the pan and let rest for 5 minutes to let wilt before serving.
To Roast Butternut Squash
- Cube 1 squash in 1 inch cubes and toss in 2 teaspoons oil. Roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until browned and fork tender.
- If you have pre-cooked rice and already roasted squash, prepare this dish by mixing together 2 cups brown rice, 2 cups roasted butternut squash, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup fresh chopped kale and 1 teaspoon homemade taco seasoning. Heat in microwave for 5-7 minutes until heated through.
- To use quinoa in place of rice, rinse 1 cup of quinoa well. Bring quinoa, 2 cups of water, and taco seasoning to a rapid boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In place of taco seasoning, use 1 teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon cumin, ⅛ teaspoon oregano, and ¼ teaspoon paprika.
This was absolutely amazing. I promised my husband I would do 90 days of plant based recipes and I have to say I think this ruined me because I'm sure nothing will top it. Outstanding. Thank you for sharing.
I am so glad you found this recipe and enjoyed so much!
This looks like a great, simple recipe. Did you add any liquid to this to help the kale wilt?
Thanks Lee Ann. Kale naturally has lots of water, so just like spinach, it will release quite a bit of liquid and wilt without the addition of any more liquid.
I hope you enjoy.
This is my kind of comfort food! Thank you so much for sharing your healthy and delectable Vegan Butternut Squash Rice Bowl with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!
Kyra @ Vie De La Vegan
This looks so tasty! It's amazing how yummy spontaneous meals can be sometimes 🙂
I know, sometimes they are the best meals!
Ooooh that looks really tasty!! And yep, I completely know what you mean about the scrounging around the kitchen for something to whip up for lunch... I'm in that position pretty often lol
Ha! Glad I am not alone!