Layers of potatoes and chicken are perfectly seasoned with spicy buffalo flavor, topped with crisp bacon, sharp cheddar cheese and finished with a creamy ranch dressing. Healthy cooking does not need to be boring. It is important to season, season, season in order to let the natural foods shine without chemicals. I personally love spice and for my food to have as much flavor as possible. Very rarely do I care for a bland meal (unless I am needing a little comfort), I want vibrant flavors so that my palate is satisfied. This buffalo chicken bake is full of flavor and spice. In fact, some of you may need to tone it down a bit on spices if you prefer milder spices. And for the bold, go ahead and kick it up a notch. Just remember I warned you!!So for this delightful chicken bake, I use a variety of ingredients that I have in my pantry or freezer at all times and it is very easy and budget friendly. Oh and did I mention, it can be a complete meal in one dish? I personally like a salad or steamed vegetable on the side, but there is truly no need for one–this casserole is filling!
One ingredient I do use for this is Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. The ingredients are as follows: red cayenne red pepper, vinegar, water, salt and garlic powder–simple and whole food ingredients and boy does it pack a flavor punch!!
- 6 medium/large russet potatoes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 2 Tbs Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 slices cooked nitrate free bacon (turkey or pork)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheese (I used white sharp cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 425. Scrub potatoes and dice into 1 inch chunks. Mix together with oil, 1 Tbs sauce, and all seasonings in large bowl. Dump into a 9x13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice chicken into 1 inch cubes as well and mix with the remaining 1 Tbs of Red Hot Sauce. Turn the oven to 375 and top the potatoes with chicken. Return to oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese and chopped and cooked bacon. Return to oven once again until cheese is melted--no more than 10 minutes. Serve with ranch dressing to cool down the heat.
And the best way to serve this casserole is with a side of homemade Ranch Dressing, to cool down the heat from the Buffalo Seasoning.
- ½ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoonshomeamade ranch seasoning
- Combine ingredients and for best flavor, refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Will last for up to a week in fridge. Feel free to use Greek yogurt as well, but may need to add 1 Tbs more milk and 1 tsp more lemon juice to thin out.