This recipe for Crockpot BBQ Chicken Legs is a simple family-favorite recipe that delivers juicy, tender chicken drumsticks with minimal effort.
If you are looking for an easy, crowd-pleasing, picky-eater-approved, affordable dinner recipe, look no further than this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks.
Seasoned with a homemade dry rub and finished with BBQ sauce, Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Legs are one of the easiest, tastiest recipes for chicken legs ever. You are going to love this simple chicken recipe.
why you will love this recipe
- Flavorful. These chicken drumsticks are perfectly seasoned, perfectly tender, smoky, juicy, and absolutely delicious.
- Economical. Chicken Legs are super affordable and easy to find at just about any grocery store.
- Easy. Crockpot meals are the ultimate set-it-and-forget-it dinner recipes! This recipe for chicken legs comes together with very little effort, making it perfect for busy nights.
- Allergy-Friendly. Crockpot BBQ Chicken Legs are dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, and gluten-free.
- Weather-Proof. Because this recipe is made in the slow cooker unlike Grilled BBQ Chicken, it is the perfect way to enjoy the taste of barbecue year-long, even on rainy days.
What You Need For This Recipe
- Chicken Legs: Use fresh or defrosted frozen chicken legs, sometimes called drumsticks.
- Spice Rub: This simple dry rub is made with brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder. You could also use homemade seasoned salt if you would like to season the chicken without added sugar.
- BBQ Sauce: Finish the chicken legs with Homemade BBQ Sauce or your favorite store-bought sauce for additional flavor.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Legs in the Crockpot
Step One: Season the Chicken Legs. Be sure to really rub the chicken legs with the spice blend. This will ensure each bite is well flavored.
Step Two: Slow Cook Chicken Legs. Cook the seasoned drumsticks until the chicken reaches 162 to 165 degrees F, which can be anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on your model of the slow cooker and if you cook your chicken on low or high.
Step Three: Broil. In order to finish the chicken legs with a crispy, sticky exterior that is coated with BBQ sauce, it is best to broil the chicken legs after they are slow-cooked.
Crockpot Chicken Drumsticks is a family-favorite chicken recipe. Picky eaters are won over by the sticky sweet finish and parents love how easy this recipe is to prepare.
BBQ Chicken Legs pair well with endless side dishes, just don't forget the napkins!
Slow cookers, just like ovens, can vary in temperature. A traditional crockpot with a ceramic base takes about 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low to cook chicken legs. All-Clad models typically cook a bit faster, so I would recommend checking the internal temperature 30 minute prior to the suggested cooking time.
The best way to ensure your chicken is fully cooked, but not overcooked is to use a digital thermometer. Once the center of a chicken leg reaches between 162 to 165 degrees F the drumsticks are perfectly cooked.
If you don't like chicken skin, peel off the skin and discard it. Rub with the spice blend and cook as directed. I still like to broil or grill the chicken legs for a few minutes on each side to help the BBQ Sauce get a nice sticky finish.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
If you enjoyed this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Legs, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Legs
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on or off
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
For the Rub
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper together.
- Pat the chicken legs dry with a paper towel and liberally rub the chicken legs with the spice rub, coating to cover.
- Place the chicken legs into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken legs have reached an internal temperature of 162-165℉, remove them from the slow cooker and place them onto a sheet pan or broiler pan. Brush the chicken legs with barbeque sauce and broil until crispy, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side.