This recipe for Crockpot BBQ Chicken Legs is one of the easiest, yet most flavorful ways to prepare chicken drumsticks.
This recipe for BBQ Drumsticks only requires a few basic ingredients, a slow cooker, and minimal prep work yet creates flavorful, juicy barbecue chicken legs. Pair with Bacon Ranch Potato Salad for a delicious meal.
Crockpot BBQ chicken legs are coated in a sweet, sticky sauce that is bound to require a few wet napkins.
But oh is it worth the mess.
These chicken drumsticks are tender, smoky, juicy, and absolutely delicious. And because this recipe is made in the slow cooker, it is the perfect way to enjoy the taste of barbecue all year long--even on rainy days.
What You Need For This Recipe
- Chicken Legs: This recipe will also work with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- Spice Rub: This simple rub is made with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder. You could also use homemade seasoned salt for a quick version of an easy rub for chicken.
- BBQ Sauce: Finish the chicken legs with Homemade BBQ Sauce or your favorite store-bought sauce for additional flavor.
How to Make Chicken Legs in the Crockpot
- Mix together the spices together in a small bowl to combine and then generously rub over the chicken legs to coat.
- Place the seasoned chicken legs into a slow cooker--no need to add liquid. The dry rub infuses the meat as the chicken cooks.
- Cook the chicken legs for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low, or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit is reached.
- Remove cooked chicken drumsticks from the slow cooker and place them onto a broiler pan or baking sheet.
- Brush with barbecue sauce and broil on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken legs from the broiler, flip over and brush the other side with BBQ Sauce. Return to the broiler for an additional 2 minutes, watching the chicken legs closely, so they do not burn.
- Serve with Plenty of Napkins
Store leftover chicken legs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat by broiling under a broiler for 2-3 minutes per side.
If you don't like chicken skin, peel off the skin and discard it. Rub with the spice blend and cook as directed. I still like to broil or grill the chicken legs for a few minutes on each side to give a golden exterior to the chicken legs.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken Wings from Spend with Pennies
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
If you enjoyed this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Legs, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Crockpot Chicken Legs
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on or off
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
For the Rub
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the rub together. Then liberally rub that spice mixture over the chicken legs.
- Place the chicken legs into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken legs are cooked, remove them from the slow cooker and place them onto a sheet pan or broiler pan.
- Brush the chicken legs with barbeque sauce and broil until crispy, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce on the side.