These Sweet Potato Tacos are made with a hearty mixture of seasoned pan-fried sweet potatoes and black beans. The flavorful taco filling comes together in under 30 minutes and makes a delicious vegetarian or vegan base for tacos.
One of my favorite combinations ever is sweet potatoes and black beans. From Sweet Potato Burritos to Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili to these Sweet Potato Tacos, I can not get enough of this magical duo.
When paired together, sweet potatoes and black beans create an earthy, slightly sweet, hearty combination that is packed full of fiber and nutrients.
In today's recipe for Sweet Potato Tacos, this duo is sauteed together with peppers, onions, garlic, a blend of southwest seasoning, creating a flavorful filling for tacos that is balanced and nuanced in flavors.
This recipe for Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos is not only delicious and nutritious, but it also comes together in less than 30 minutes--making it a perfect wholesome meal for busy nights.
Notes on Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes: For this recipe, you will need about 4 cups of cubed sweet potatoes, which is about 2 medium or 1 large sweet potato. When purchasing sweet potatoes, look for ones without blemish or wrinkly skin.
- Black Beans: You can opt to use canned black beans or dried black beans that have been cooked using my method for Instant Pot Beans.
- Seasoning: I use a blend of dried spices that are very similar to taco seasoning. Feel free to use store-bought or homemade taco seasoning in place of the spice blend used.
- Peppers, Onions, and Garlic: To add a bit more dimension to this simple dish, I add in diced bell peppers, diced onion, and minced garlic. Feel free to omit one or all three of these ingredients if desired.
- Avocados: While optional, adding mashed avocado as a topping for the sweet potato tacos, adds creaminess and a dose of healthy fats.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tacos
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and dice into ½-inch cubes. There is no need to peel the sweet potatoes--a ton of nutrients are found right in that peel.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add in a bit of oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the cubed sweet potatoes, salt, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and onions and peppers if using.
- Allow the mixture to cook, stirring and flipping the potatoes often, until the sweet potatoes are golden and fork tender. This takes 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fork tender, add the beans and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and add the zest and juice of the lime and stir to incorporate.
- Cut open and avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place into a shallow dish or onto a cutting board. Mash with a fork. Season with salt and fresh lime juice.
- Serve the sweet potato black bean taco mixture on top of warmed corn or flour tortillas with a scoop of the mashed avocado and a drizzle of hot sauce if desired. If you aren't vegan or dairy-free, you can also top with cheese or sour cream.
If you happen to have leftover roasted sweet potatoes or leftover Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes, use the leftovers to make these tacos fast!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Add the peppers and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in the garlic, seasonings, beans, and leftover potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until everything is warmed through, stirring often.
- Finish with the zest and juice of the lime and serve.
You can store the leftover sweet potato and black bean mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm the mixture in the microwave or in a dry skillet and serve as desired.
More Meatless Tex Mex Recipes
If you enjoyed these sweet potato black bean tacos, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below. I love hearing from you!
Sweet Potato Tacos
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado
- tortillas, taco shells, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, etc
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and then pat dry. Dice the potatoes into even ½ inch cubes. You should have about 4 cups of cubed potatoes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add in a bit of oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the cubed sweet potatoes, minced onion, diced pepper, ½ teaspoon of salt, paprika, cumin, and onion powder. Cook the mixture, stirring and flipping the potatoes frequently until the sweet potatoes are golden and fork-tender. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, add the beans and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through, stirring frequently.
- While the sweet potato and bean mixture finishes cooking, cut open the avocado. Discard the pit and mash the flesh of the avocado with the juice of 1 fresh lime and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Once the beans are warmed through, turn off the heat. Zest one of the limes into the mixture. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime juice over the mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Serve the sweet potato mixture in tortillas and top with the avocado mixture and serve immediately.