These Sweet Potato Tacos are made with a hearty mixture of seasoned pan-fried sweet potatoes and black beans.
One of my favorite food combinations is sweet potatoes and black beans. From Sweet Potato Burritos to Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili to these Sweet Potato Tacos, I can not get enough of this magical duo.
When paired together, sweet potatoes and black beans create an earthy, slightly sweet, hearty combination that is packed full of fiber and nutrients.
In today's recipe for Sweet Potato Tacos, this duo is sauteed together with peppers, onions, garlic, and a blend of southwest seasoning, creating a flavorful filling for tacos that is balanced and nuanced in flavors.
This recipe for Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos is not only delicious and nutritious, but it also comes together in less than 30 minutes, making it a perfect wholesome plant-based dinner recipe for busy nights.
Notes on Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes: For this recipe, you will need about 4 cups of cubed sweet potatoes, which is about 2 medium or 1 large sweet potato. When purchasing sweet potatoes, look for ones without blemishes or wrinkly skin.
- Black Beans: You can opt to use canned black beans or dried black beans that have been cooked using my method for Instant Pot Beans. And if you don't care for black beans, use red beans or pinto beans in their place.
- Seasoning: I use a blend of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, and cumin, spices that are very similar to my homemade taco seasoning blend. While you can substitute regular paprika for the smoked paprika, if you have smoked paprika on hand, I highly recommend using it, as it lends such a nice punch of flavor to the sweet potato black bean mixture.
- Lime (not pictured): To finish the sweet potato with a bright, acidic note that really makes this taco filling pop, add in the juice and zest of a fresh lime. It really makes a huge difference in flavor.
- Peppers, Onions, and Garlic: To add a bit more dimension to this simple dish, I add diced bell peppers, diced onion, and minced garlic. Feel free to omit one or all three of these ingredients if desired.
- Avocados: While optional, adding mashed avocado as a topping for the sweet potato tacos, adds creaminess and a dose of healthy fats.
- For Serving: Use your favorite corn or flour tortilla to assemble these sweet potato black bean tacos. You may also want to top these tacos with sour cream and/or shredded cheese if you are not vegan or dairy-free. Pickled jalapenos, pickled red onions, hot sauce, and minced cilantro are also delicious toppings for these tacos.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tacos
Step One: Prepare Sweet Potato Black Bean Filling
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and dice into ½-inch cubes. There is no need to peel the sweet potatoes, as a ton of nutrients are found right in that peel.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add in a bit of oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the cubed sweet potatoes, salt, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and onions and peppers if using.
- Allow the mixture to cook, stirring and flipping the potatoes often until the sweet potatoes are golden and fork-tender. This takes 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add the beans and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the beans are just warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and add the zest and juice of the lime and stir to incorporate.
Step Two: Prepare Avocado Mash
While not necessary, topping these tacos with a simple avocado mash, adds a nice creaminess to the taco, not to mention healthy fats which will keep you satisfied for hours.
- To prepare the avocados, cut open the avocados and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and place it into a shallow dish or onto a cutting board.
- Season with salt and fresh lime juice and then mash well with a fork to incorporate.
Step Three: Serve
- Lightly toast the tortillas of your choice in a dry skillet until warm and pliable.
- Spread a generous scoop of the avocado mixture onto each tortilla and then top with the sweet potato black bean filling.
- Add any additional taco toppings, like shredded lettuce, a drizzle of hot sauce, pickled jalapenos, diced tomatoes, or shredded cheese if desired.
If you happen to have leftover roasted sweet potatoes or leftover Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes, use the leftovers to make these tacos fast!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Add the peppers and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in the garlic, seasonings, beans, and leftover potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until everything is warmed through, stirring often.
- Finish with the zest and juice of the lime and serve.
Change up this base recipe for Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos to fit your tastes or to use the ingredients you have on hand.
- Add Corn: Add up to 1 cup of frozen corn kernels to the sweet potato mixture when adding the beans. The corn will cook as the beans cook and add a sweet flavor to the taco filling.
- Make it Spicy: For spicy sweet potato black bean tacos, add up to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the taco filling.
- Swap out the Beans: Instead of black beans, use pinto beans, red beans, or kidney beans.
- Serve it YOUR Way: Instead of serving as tacos, use the sweet potato black bean mixture over Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice or steamed brown rice for a rice bowl or serve over shredded lettuce to make a delicious taco salad.
You can store the leftover sweet potato and black bean mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Warm the mixture in the microwave or in a dry skillet and serve as desired.
More Meatless Tex-Mex Recipes
If you enjoyed these sweet potato black bean tacos, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below. I love hearing from you!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 limes
- 2 large Haas avocados
- tortillas, taco shells, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, etc
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and then pat dry. Dice the potatoes into even ½-inch cubes. You should have about 4 cups of cubed potatoes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add in a bit of oil. Once the oil is heated, add in the cubed sweet potatoes, minced onion, diced pepper, ½ teaspoon of salt, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook the mixture, stirring and flipping the potatoes frequently until the sweet potatoes are golden and fork-tender. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, add the beans and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through, stirring frequently.
- While the sweet potato and bean mixture finishes cooking, cut open the avocados. Discard the pits and mash the flesh of the avocados with the juice of 1 fresh lime and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Once the beans are warmed through, turn off the heat. Zest one of the limes into the mixture. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the lime juice over the mixture and gently stir to combine.
- To Serve the sweet potato tacos, warm the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until warm and pliable. To each tortilla with a generous scoop of the avocado mixture and sweet potato taco filling. Add any additional desired toppings and serve immediately.
This recipe was originally shared in 2020 and updated in 2023.