This Cherry Smoothie is a rich, creamy, healthy smoothie made with yogurt, cherries, bananas, and milk. It is a simple smoothie recipe that is absolutely perfect to enjoy any time of the day!
I love smoothies! And this cherry smoothie is high on the list of my all-time favorite smoothie recipes.
First of all, cherries! I love the sweet and tart flavor of cherries. I love fresh cherries, Cherry Pie, and of course this Cherry Smoothie.
But the magic in this smoothie recipe is the combination of cherries, bananas, and yogurt. It is naturally sweet, perfectly creamy, full of cherry flavor!
This Cherry Smoothie also happens to be full of protein, calcium, and nutrients, making it a healthy option for breakfast or a snack to refuel after a workout.
- Cherries: You can use fresh or frozen cherries to make this delicious Cherry Smoothie. Just keep in mind that if you use fresh cherries, you will want to use frozen banana to achieve a nice thick smoothie.
- Yogurt: You can use plain or vanilla yogurt for this smoothie. Personally, I recommend using plain, Greek yogurt for this smoothie. Greek yogurt as compared to regular yogurt will keep the smoothie thicker. And using plain yogurt, versus vanilla or sweetened yogurt, will allow you allow to control the added sugars.
- Banana: I almost always add bananas to smoothies, as they keep smoothies creamy and naturally sweet. Plus bananas and cherries pair really well together. Be sure to use a ripe or slightly overripe banana for the most sweetness.
- Milk: Use any variety of milk or non-dairy milk you like when making this smoothie. I will point out that cherries pair well with almond, so almond milk is a perfect choice for this smoothie.
- Ground Flaxseed: I love adding flaxseed to smoothies, as it adds fiber, nutrients, and omega fatty acids.
- Vanilla Extract: I love adding in a tiny bit of vanilla extract to add flavor to the smoothie, but this is totally optional.
- Sweetener: I find this smoothie to be plenty sweet without the addition of any sweetener, but if you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, add in 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup to taste.
How to Make a Cherry Smoothie
- Start by adding the milk to your blender. You want to place the milk in the blender first, as this allows the blades to be able to move around freely and not get stuck on the fruit.
- To the blender, add in the yogurt, flaxseed, cherries, and sliced banana.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Dairy-Free Cherry Smoothie: Use almond milk and non-dairy plain yogurt.
- Cherry Smoothie with Fresh Cherries: Be sure to pit your cherries before adding them to the blender. Since the berries are fresh, it is best to use frozen banana chunks to give the smoothie a nice thick, frosty texture.
- Cherry Almond Smoothie: Use almond milk as your milk of choice, add ⅛ teaspoon of almond extract, and omit the vanilla extract.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you enjoyed this Cherry Smoothie, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
- ½ cup milk any variety
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pitted dark cherries frozen
- 1 ripe banana in large chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed optional
- 1-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup optional
- Place milk into a blender. Add in yogurt, flaxseed if using, honey, and cherries in that order. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle the granola over the smoothie. Serve immediately.