Made with fluffy eggs, savory meat, and melty cheese, these easy Breakfast Tacos put a delicious spin on breakfast.
If you love tacos and you love eggs, you are guaranteed to absolutely LOVE these Breakfast Tacos.
While there is certainly nothing wrong with classic beef tacos or shredded chicken tacos, these Egg and Bacon Tacos make breakfast both unique and delicious and make a fabulous, albeit unexpected addition to your breakfast menu.
Why You Will Love Breakfast Tacos
- Hearty & Flavorful. When bacon, cheese, and eggs collide, you know it will be both filling and delicious!
- Versatile Recipe. This recipe for breakfast tacos is a great starting point, but the options for fillings are ENDLESS! Feel free to add veggies, swap the bacon for beans or breakfast sausage, or use a tofu scramble in place of eggs--you get the idea.
- Family-Favorite Breakfast. Breakfast Tacos are so mouthwateringly good, they entice everyone to wake up early to enjoy this breakfast--even teenagers😉
Notes On Ingredients
- Eggs: Scrambled Eggs are the best for breakfast tacos, as they will stuff easily into the tortilla or taco shell of your choice. I recommend adding a bit of sour cream, salt, and pepper to your eggs for fluffy, creamy eggs.
- Meat: You can use any breakfast meat you like in these breakfast Tacos. I have included instructions on how to bake bacon to add to the tacos, but you can use cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled chorizo, diced ham, or diced Candian bacon.
- Cheese: Use any type of shredded or crumbled cheese you like. Cheddar, Colby, and Swiss are all great options.
- Tortillas: Use your favorite store-bought or homemade corn or flour tortillas or hard taco shells for this recipe. I would recommend using a smaller soft taco-size tortilla for ease of eating.
- Toppings: Just like classic tacos, breakfast tacos are best served with your favorite toppings. A few of my favorite toppings are minced cilantro, sliced avocado, hot sauce, diced tomatoes, guacamole, fresh salsa, and/or pico de Gallo.
How To Make the Best Breakfast Tacos
While a few more steps are involved than simply making Instant Pot Oatmeal or pouring a bowl of cereal, this recipe is still pretty simple to make. It is the perfect option for a weekend brunch or a lazy morning at home.
Step One: Prepare Meat. As stated earlier, you can opt to make any meat you like, or even omit the meat altogether. I personally love these breakfast tacos with baked bacon, but scrambled breakfast sausage is delicious as well.
Step Two: Prepare Eggs. Breakfast Tacos are made with fluffy scrambled eggs. The key to producing soft, fluffy eggs is to add milk, cream, or sour cream to the eggs prior to cooking, and to cook low and slow, gently mixing often.
Step Three: Warm Tortillas. Once the eggs and bacon (or sausage) are ready, warm the tortillas briefly on each side to help them become pliable. You can opt to wap your tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds or warm each individual tortilla in the same skillet you made the eggs in for 15 seconds per side.
Step Four: Assemble Tacos. Add some bacon or sausage to the center of the tortilla and top with a few tablespoons of scrambled eggs. Top the warm eggs with some cheese and then add any additional desired toppings.
∗ important to remember ∗
- Warm your Shells. In order to have the best-tasting tacos, it is crucial to cook your taco shells or warm your tortillas prior to stuffing them. This will not only help to develop flavor, but it will also make the tortillas more pliable for filling purposes.
- Don't Over Stuff. There is nothing worse than making a perfect taco and having it all fall out when you go to take a bite or pick up your taco. Add JUST enough fillings. You can always enjoy more than one or two tacos 😉
- Leave Room For Toppings. In addition to NOT overstuffing your breakfast tacos with eggs, meat, and cheese, you want to leave room to add toppings of your choice, because toppings are critical for ANY variety of taco!
change it up
- Add Potatoes: Make these breakfast tacos even heartier by adding roasted red potatoes or air fryer potatoes to the tacos.
- Try Tofu Scramble: In place of the scrambled eggs, use scrambled tofu. To do this, heat a bit of oil in a saute pan and add crumbled firm tofu to the pan. Saute over medium heat, until the moisture has evaporated. Season with salt, pepper, turmeric, and garlic powder, and continue to cook over medium heat, until warmed through.
- Add Veggies: To get in some veggies, saute spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, and/or onions in a bit of oil over medium heat until softened. They will be a delicious addition to the breakfast tacos.
- Make it Meatless: In place of the bacon or sausage, add sauteed vegetables or try black beans or refried beans. Or simply omit the meat and just serve your tacos with eggs, cheese, and desired toppings.
- Make it a Burrito: Swap out the small tortilla for a large burrito-sized tortilla and fill it up with the eggs, meat, cheese, and toppings of choices for a hearty, filling breakfast burrito.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- Breakfast Sliders
- Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Homemade Egg McMuffins
- Egg Muffin Cups
- Homemade Sausage Gravy
If you tried this recipe for Breakfast Tacos, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
- 4-6 strips bacon or ½ pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- For Toppings: Thinly sliced avocado, sliced grape/cherry tomatoes, fresh salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, etc
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ Line a rimmed baking tray with foil and place a wire baking rack on top of the baking tray. Alternatively, use a broiler pan. Lay the strips of bacon evenly across the baking rack, so that it is not overlapping. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the oven and transfer the bacon to a plate, lined with paper towels to cool.
- While the bacon is baking, whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper, until well combined.
- Heat the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the egg mixture to the pan. Use a spatula to whisk and scramble the eggs while they cook, until they are just cooked through, yet still soft.
- Remove the cooked eggs to a platter, wipe out the pan with a paper towel, and return to the heat. Warm the tortillas one by one, over medium-high heat until just pliable–about 15 seconds per side.
- At this point, chop the cooled bacon into bite-sized pieces.
- To assemble the tacos, top each tortilla with a scoop of scrambled eggs, bacon bits, shredded cheese, and sliced avocado. Garnish with sliced tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and minced cilantro as desired.
- Serve immediately.