Instant Pot Refried Beans: Save yourself time and money with the easiest, tastiest refried bean recipe ever! Pressure cooker refried beans are sure to become a staple in your kitchen!
Two years ago if you asked me what is the one canned good you would always find in my pantry would be, I would tell you beans.
Now thanks to my Instant Pot I have said good-bye to canned beans and only stock dried beans in my pantry.
Dry beans are not only much more affordable, they are also so much better for you than canned beans.
I just never relied on them as a kitchen staple BEFORE my Instant Pot because of the time it took to cook them. Once I realized how easy it was to make Instant Pot Dried Beans WITHOUT soaking, well I was sold, hook, line and sinker.
So it is high time I shared with you all my recipe for refried beans made in the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Refried Beans
Just like whole beans, refried beans are a staple at my house. From bean burritos, to Mexican Pizza, to Easy Taco Dip, refried beans find themselves into my recipes quite often. Of course refried beans are also great to serve alongside dishes like Instant Pot Pork Tacos, Instant Pot Steak Fajitas or with Taco Grilled Fish.
Sure there are great quality canned versions of refried beans on the market. BUT when I can make tastier, healthier refried beans for pennies, homemade is the way to go.
How To Make Refried Beans in the Electric Pressure Cooker
This recipe for refried beans is BEYOND easy.
Step One: Place beans and liquid in inner pot of instant pot.
Step Two: Add in desired seasonings. I prefer to use Taco Seasoning for my refried bean recipe.
Step Three: Place lid on Instant Pot and set cook time for 50 minutes. This is DOUBLE the cook time than dried beans require, but this is so the beans get SUPER tender and are really easy to blend.
Step Four: Once cooking time has elapsed, let pressure NATURALLY release. This can take up to 30 minutes. It is really important to NOT do a quick release, as this will change the texture of the beans. The same is true for rice, stock and tough meat–find out more about NPR at Instant Pot 101.
Step Five: Blend the beans with the cooking liquid. You can use a hand held immersion blender OR a food processor.
Step Six: Enjoy!
How to Freeze Refried Beans
I prefer to make a large batch of refried beans and then freeze for future use.
To freeze refried beans:
- Cook refried beans as recipe directs.
- Allow refried beans to cook.
- Place in 1 cup portions in either freezer safe bags or small plastic containers.
- You can thaw refried beans in refrigerator overnight or remove from plastic container/bag and defrost in microwave.
- You can also put frozen beans into a oven safe bowl (remove from plastic bag/container first) and place in your instant pot’s inner pot on a rack. Pour in 1 cup water under rack and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, this will defrost and heat 1 cup portions of refried beans.
- Refried beans will keep in freezer for 4-6 months.
A few important tips about Refried Beans
- I prefer to cook my dried beans in Instant Pot Chicken Stock for flavor, but use vegetable stock for Vegan and Vegetarian Refried Beans.
- You can make refried beans with pinto beans, black beans, or small red beans.
- Feel free to omit the onion and garlic from this refried bean recipe and just use taco seasoning or seasoned salt.
- Store leftover cooked beans in the refrigerator for 5 days or in 1 to 2 cup portions in freezer safe bags/containers in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- If you find beans to be hard on your stomach or make you gassy, either pre-soak beans overnight first and/or add in 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar while cooking.
Refried Beans Recipe
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Place all ingredient in inner pot of Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure with valve turned to "seal," and set to cook on high pressure for 50 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally (about 30 minutes).
- Remove lid and then blend with an immersion blender or food processor, until smooth.
- You can use pinto beans, black beans and small red beans for this Instant Pot Refried Beans.
- Use chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water.
- If you use water, add an additional teaspoon of taco seasoning beans.
To Make Vegan Refried Beans, You May Need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!