Air Fryer Asparagus is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, low in fat, and ready in just 10 minutes! It is one of the easiest, tastiest ways to enjoy asparagus.
Why Use the Air Fryer?
While I love Roasted Asparagus, my favorite way to prepare asparagus is using the air fryer. Asparagus made in the air fryer has the same crispy exterior as roasted asparagus, just made A LOT faster and with less oil.
The bonus is that my kids eat air fryer asparagus like it's candy. Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but they have declared it their new favorite veggie. And in their opinion, they think the texture is BETTER than roasted.
Regardless, it is an easy, wholesome way to enjoy veggies. And who can complain about that?
What You Need
- Asparagus: Thin asparagus is best for this recipe. Not only does it cook up faster, but the flavor is also better and it is less fibrous. Look for vibrant green asparagus that's tips are closed and intact.
- Oil: You only need a tiny bit of oil for this recipe. It will help the asparagus not stick to the air fryer and allows it to crisp up beautifully.
- Seasonings: You can season the asparagus any way you like. I prefer to keep simple and season it with only kosher salt.
- Air Fryer: This recipe will work with any model air fryer you have. Keep in mind you may need to work in batches if you have a compact air fryer.
How to Cook Asparagus in Air Fryer
- Wash and dry the asparagus.
- To trim the woody bottom of the asparagus, hold one spear on either end and gently bend it in half. The stalk will snap naturally where the asparagus needs trimmed. Use that spear as a guide to where to cut the remaining asparagus.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus with oil and salt.
- Spread the seasoned asparagus out in a thin layer in the air fryer. It is okay if some spears overlap each other a tiny bit, you just don't want much overlap. This will allow the asparagus to cook and crisp evenly.
- Place the basket or tray into the air fryer and set it to air fry at 400 degrees F for 4 minutes.
- Remove the basket or tray and give the asparagus a shake. Return to the air fryer and continue to air fry at 400 degrees for 3 minutes. At this point check to see if the asparagus has reached the level of doneness/crispiness you prefer. If not, return the asparagus to the air fryer and continue to cook in 1-minute intervals until it reaches your preferred texture.
- Serve immediately.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
In the unlikely event that there are leftovers, allow the asparagus to cool slightly and place it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat the asparagus, it is best to place it into the air fryer for 3-4 minutes, at 380 degrees F. This will warm it up and allow it to get a crispy exterior again.
FAQs about Air Fryer Asparagus
Yes! Just keep in mind you may need to air fry longer than 7 minutes in order for the thicker spears to get tender.
Absolutely! Any variety of asparagus is delicious when air-fried.
If you do not want to use any oil to coat the asparagus, I recommend using olive oil or avocado cooking spray. This will help the asparagus not stick to the air fryer, but also to get crispy and golden. However, if you are opposed to using the cooking spray as well, just be sure to use parchment paper designed for the air fryer, so your asparagus does not stick to the basket or tray.
It is important to not overlap the asparagus much in the air fryer, therefore you may need to work in batches to air fry asparagus. Keep the first batch in the oven at 200 degrees F while the other batch cooks up.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Air Fryer Potatoes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Air Fryer Squash
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
If you enjoyed this recipe for Air Fryer Asparagus, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below.
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 pound thin asparagus
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- Wash and dry the asparagus. Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus.
- If required per your air fryer model, preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus with oil and salt.
- Spread out the seasoned asparagus in a thin layer in the air fryer. It is okay if some spears overlap each other a tiny bit, but you don’t want significant overlap.
- Place the basket or tray into the air fryer and set to air fry at 400 degrees F for 4 minutes.
- Remove the basket or tray and give the asparagus a shake. Return to the air fryer and continue to air fry at 400 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- If the asparagus has not reached the level of doneness/crispiness you prefer, continue to cook in 1-minute intervals at 400 degrees F.
- Season with additional salt if needed and serve immediately.