Looking for creative uses for leftover ham? Look no further than this Ham Roll! Ham and Swiss cheese are stuffed into bread dough, glazed with sweet and tangy glaze, and then baked to perfection. This is one delicious twist on a ham sandwich!
This twist on a ham roll is a perfect way to use up leftover Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham or Easy Baked Ham. It is a lot like a giant ham and cheese stromboli and it is perfect for parties, served alongside classics like Taco Dip and Chip Dip!
Do you want to know what is better than a ham sandwich?
A baked ham sandwich.
And what is better than a baked ham sandwich is a giant baked sandwich, made with fresh bread and a sweet and tangy glaze.
This Baked Ham Roll is my version of a dressed up ham sandwich–and it is delicious!
My inspiration was taken from classic ham roll-ups made with crescent rolls and cheese. I ditched the canned dough, and made a fresh dough–that is a thousand times tastier. And instead of individual roll-up, I made one giant roll–which not only looks incredibly impressive, it makes the process of making this ham roll much easier!
I also add a honey horseradish glaze–which may sound odd but trust me, the sweet and tangy glaze is a perfect compliment to the ham. The horseradish does not overwhelm the ham roll, it just brightens the flavors and adds a bit of sharpness.
- Bread Dough–Either follow the directions for the homemade bread dough, or use 1 pound of your favorite store-bought bread dough. For this recipe, bread dough is best instead of pizza dough. The bread dough will rise and give this roll a lot more substance.
- Ham–Use store-bought deli ham, leftover baked ham, or leftover instant pot ham.
- Cheese: I prefer to use Swiss cheese, as it is a classic pairing with ham. However, cheddar or Colby are two other great suggestions.
- Glaze: The glaze is made with fresh lemon juice, horseradish, and honey. It is sweet, tangy, and really wakes up your palate. It is optional but truly elevates this ham roll.
How to Make a Ham Roll
- Prepare bread dough according to instructions.
- Once the dough has risen, roll out your bread dough into a large rectangle on a large cooking sheet.
- Prepare the glaze.
- Brush the dough with a thin layer of the glaze.
- Layer the dough with ham and cheese.
- Fold up the bread and flip the loaf over, so it is seam side down.
- Cover the prepared bread with a kitchen towel and let rise while the oven heats to 400 degrees–about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the oven has heated, remove the towel from the prepared ham loaf.
- Brush the bread with more of the glaze and sprinkle with chia seeds if using.
- Cut 3-5 small slits into the loaf to let air escape.
- Bake the loaf for 25-30 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Remove baked ham loaf from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer your Swiss Ham Roll to a cutting board and then slice up and enjoy.
More Ham Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
- Overnight Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham
- Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
- Baked Ham and Egg Cups
For the Bread Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 cups flour al-purpose or whole white wheat
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Filling
- 8 ounces ham deli sliced or leftover
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese or Cheddar or Colby
For the Horseradish Glaze (optional--see notes if not using)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or poppy seeds
Prepare the Bread Dough
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit for 5 minutes, until yeast is a bit foamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. I like to do this in my kitchen stand mixer with a dough hook, so that it can also knead the dough for me (for about 3 minutes.) If not, just knead by hand until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Cover the dough and let rise for 1 hour in warm place.
Prepare Ham Roll
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the glaze by combining the honey and horseradish with the juice of one lemon. You may want to heat the mixture for 30 seconds to help aid that process along the glaze incorporate together.
- Roll out your bread dough into large rectangle, onto a lightly floured cooking sheet. Brush the dough with the glaze. Layer the ham and cheese over the dough and fold up into a long log shape. Place seam side down on your cookie sheet.
- Before baking, brush the loaf with glaze and sprinkle with the chia seeds. Cut 3-5 slits on top of the loaf to let steam escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush any remaining glaze over the top.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- I add chia seeds for crunch to this ham roll. Feel free to use poppy seeds, sesame seeds or omit completely.
- For the ham, use leftover ham slices or deli ham.
- For the bread dough, feel free to use your favorite 1 pound store bought bread dough in place of the homemade dough.
- Tip: microwave your lemon for 30 seconds to get the juices flowing and the warm lemon juice will help the honey melt into the glaze.
- If not using the glaze, you may want to brush you bread dough with mustard before layering the ham and cheese onto the dough. You also will want to brush the dough with an egg wash to help it brown up in the oven.