Looking for creative uses for leftover ham? Look no further than this Ham and Swiss Roll! Ham and Swiss Cheese are stuffed into a bread that is glazed with a sweet and tangy glaze for a delicious twist on a ham sandwich!
This twist on a classic Ham Sandwich is a perfect way to use up leftover Honey Baked Ham. This giant Baked Ham Sandwich is also perfect for parties, served alongside classics like Taco Dip and Chip Dip!
Do you want to know what is better than a ham sandwich?
A baked ham sandwich.
And what is better than a baked ham sandwich is a giant baked sandwich, made with fresh bread and a sweet and tangy glaze.
Ham and Swiss Roll
This Ham and Swiss Roll is my version of a dressed up ham sandwich–and it is delicious!
My inspiration was taken from classic ham roll-ups made with crescent rolls and cheese. I ditched the canned dough, and made a fresh dough–that is a thousand times tastier.
I also add a honey horseradish glaze–which may sound odd, but this sweet and tangy glaze is a perfect compliment to ham.
Steps to Making Baked Ham Sandwich
Step One: Prepare Bread Dough
- Prepare bread dough or thaw out a purchased 1 pound loaf of bread from your freezer section.
- Let dough rise, covered, for about 1 hour or doubled in size.
Step Two: Roll out Dough
- Roll out your bread dough into a large rectangle on a large cooking sheet.
Step Three: Make the Horseradish Honey Glaze.
- This is simply the juice of 1 lemon whisked together with honey and horseradish. Tip: microwave your lemon for 30 seconds to get the juices flowing and the warm lemon juice will help the honey melt into the glaze.
- Brush the dough with a thin layer of the glaze.
Step Four: Stuff Ham Loaf
- Layer dough with ham and cheese.
- Fold up the bread and flip the loaf over, so it is seem side down.
- Cover the prepared bread with a kitchen towel and let rise while the oven heats to 400 degrees–about 15-20 minutes.
Step Five: Bake the Ham and Cheese Roll
- Once the oven has heated, remove the towel from the prepared ham loaf.
- Brush the bread with the glaze and sprinkle with chia seeds (poppy and sesame seeds work great too).
- Cut 3-5 small slits into the loaf to let air escape.
- Bake the loaf for 25-30 minutes, until it it is golden brown.
Step Six: Serve Ham Roll
- Remove baked ham loaf from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the loaf up and enjoy.
Tips on Hot Ham and Cheese Roll
- This Ham and Swiss Roll is a great leftover Ham Recipe.
- If you don’t like Swiss cheese, you can use cheddar, provolone, or muenster. Those cheeses would all be great options for this Ham Loaf.
- Don’t let the homemade dough scare you–it is really easy. But you can use the dough cycle on your bread machine OR bread dough you have purchased from the store. Pizza dough will also work in a bind as well–it just won’t rise as much as the bread dough.
- The Horseradish Honey Glaze is KEY to this bread. Even if you think you don’t like horseradish, when paired with honey and lemon it adds just the right amount of zing to a recipe.
- I use chia seeds to sprinkle on the top of this Ham and Cheese Bread, but sesame seeds or poppy seeds work as well. Or even just skip the seeds altogether!
- Tip to save your pans–be sure to bake on a pan that you are okay to cut on, or transfer your Swiss Ham Roll to a cutting board BEFORE slicing.
More Ham Recipes
- Cheesy Ham and Scalloped Potatoes
- Overnight Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot Honey Baked Ham
- Ham and Cheese Hot Pockets
- Baked Ham and Egg Cups
For the Bread Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 cups whole white wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Filling
- 8 ounces ham deli sliced or leftover
- 8 ounces cheese swiss or cheddar are great options for this
For the Horseradish Glaze
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
Prepare the Bread Dough
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let sit for 5 minutes, until yeast is a bit foamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. I like to do this in my kitchen stand mixer with a dough hook, so that it can also knead the dough for me (for about 3 minutes.) If not, just knead by hand until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Cover the dough and let rise for 1 hour in warm place.
Prepare Ham Roll
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the glaze by combining the honey and horseradish with the juice of one lemon. You may want to heat the mixture for 30 seconds to help aid that process along the glaze incorporate together.
- Roll out your bread dough into large rectangle, onto a lightly floured cooking sheet. Brush the dough with the glaze. Layer the ham and cheese over the dough and fold up into a long log shape. Place seam side down on your cookie sheet.
- Before baking, brush the loaf with glaze and sprinkle with the chia seeds. Cut 3-5 slits on top of the loaf to let steam escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and lightly brush any remaining glaze over the top.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing.