Kitchen staples come together to create protein and nutrient-packed one-pot wonder tastes just like chicken fajitas. Made with quinoa, tender chicken, peppers, and onions, this Chicken Fajita Bowl is ready in less than 30 minutes.
My secret to healthy, home cooking? It is keeping a well-stocked freezer and pantry.
Then when my days get crazy and I have limited time to run to the store or to make dinner, I can rely on simple ingredients to make a wholesome meal.
My Chicken Fajita bowls are a great example of a meal made with my well-stocked kitchen. Made with staples like quinoa, chicken breasts, frozen peppers, and onion blend, and jarred salsa, this Quinoa Bowl can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- Quinoa: Instead of a base of rice, which is common in burrito bowls, this recipe is made with quinoa. It cooks up in the same amount of time frozen chicken does and it has a great deal more protein than rice.
- Chicken: You can cook up boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs in the stock as the quinoa cooks, or you can dice up leftover chicken and add it once the quinoa is cooked. Feel free to omit the chicken for a vegetarian dish.
- Stock: I love to use chicken stock in for additional flavor in this meal, but you can also use vegetable broth or water.
- Salsa: Salsa adds incredible flavor to this recipe, but you can also use Homemade Salsa Verde, Homemade Salsa, or a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.
- Peppers and Onions: You can use fresh slices of frozen peppers and onions instead of frozen slices. However, frozen peppers and onions are a great money saver and I always have them on hand.
- Toppings: To really add flavor to these fajita bowls, top with shredded cheese, diced onions, diced tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Bowl
- In a large stock pan or dutch oven, mix together stock, salsa, frozen peppers and onions, and taco seasoning together.
- Submerge the chicken breasts in the quinoa mixture.
- Bring the quinoa mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the chicken and quinoa are both cooked through.
- Serve with any desired toppings.
More 30-Minute Gluten-Free Meals
Chicken Fajita Bowls is a great meal to make with freezer and pantry staples. You can have a delicious meal in less than 30 minutes straight from kitchen staples.
Chicken Fajita Bowl
- sour cream, green onions, shredded cheese
- Mix together chicken stock, salsa, peppers and onions, seasoning, and quinoa together in a large stock pan. Add in whole pieces of chicken and sumbruge in the liquids.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with any of the desired toppings.
- You can cook up boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs in the stock as the quinoa cooks, or you can dice up leftover chicken and add once the quinoa is cooked. Feel free to omit the chicken for a vegetarian dish.
- Feel free to add in some cooked beans as well as chicken, or in place of the chicken if desired.
- In place of the homemade fajita seasoning, use 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon each of salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder.
- You can use fresh slices of frozen peppers and onions instead of frozen slices.