A Mexican Chicken Torta is a Mexican version of a chicken sandwich and it is downright delicious and easy to make at home! Made with seasoned shredded chicken, crunchy cabbage, sharp queso fresco, and creamy avocado, this easy sandwich is filled with flavor and textures.
Serve this Mexican Torta with a side of Homemade Salsa and chips or a Mexican Quinoa Salad.
What is a Mexican Torta?
A Torta is a type of sandwich from Mexico. Really, a torta is just a fancy word for a sandwich or flatbread.
My version of a Mexican Torta is made with a soft roll and tender shredded seasoned chicken. The sandwich is finished with fresh tomato, avocado, lime, queso, and crunchy cabbage--all of which lend not only great flavor to this sandwich, but also provide a variety of textures.
This Mexican Sandwich comes together in minutes--especially if you have leftover meat, and is a perfect way to add flavor to your everyday typical sandwich.
Ingredients for Mexican Torta
You can really use anything you like for this Mexican Sandwich, but I have found that a combination of crunchy, creamy, and fresh work best.
- Shredded Mexican Chicken--Use leftover Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat, or Rotisserie Chicken, or even leftover meat from Pork Carnitas.
- Shredded Cabbage--for color and crunch
- Avocado--for creaminess
- Queso Fresco--for tang and additional creaminess
- Tomato, for brightness
- Onion, for the sharp flavor
Tips for Mexican Sandwich
- It is best to serve this sandwich right away, so the bread does not become soggy.
- If you need to make your chicken gluten-free, omit beer from the recipe and replace it with chicken stock.
- If you don't have a queso fresco, feta is a great substitute.
- For tips on how to store your leftover chipotle peppers, check out my Freezer Post. You don't want to waste ANY of that great flavor!
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Chipotle Chicken Torta
For Shredded Chipotle Chicken
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless breasts
- ¼ cup chipolte peppers from a can
- ½ cup beer I used a mild lager, but chicken stock or orange juice works too
- 4 soft Bolio rolls or any soft sandwich rolls
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 lime
- ½ cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
For Chipotle Chicken
- Place the chipolte peppers and sauce, the chicken, and the beer in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- For the sandwiches:
- Mash the avocado with the juice of the lime and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread on the the top layer of each roll.
- Layer the bottom of the roll with the chicken, tomato, onion, cabbage, and cheese. Place the top layer of the roll on the bottom and serve (with plenty of napkins.)
Dear Kristen, My mouth started watering at the first line...this sandwich sounds and looks terrific! xo, Catherine
My mouth waters at just that thought as well 🙂
Mmmmm I can only imagine all the flavors coming together when sinking your teeth into this baby!
It is perfection 🙂
Did someone say torta? Count me in!
They are fabulous!
This sandwich looks absolutely delicious!