Mexican Chicken Torta: A Mexican Sandwich made with shredded Mexican chicken, crunchy cabbage, sharp queso fresco, and creamy avocado.
I have a confession to make to you all. I work out while catching up on my DVR cooking shows.
Why is this a confession? Because my workouts can tend to not be very productive.
So as I squat and lunge with my impressive 3 pound weights, I may stop and drool at the food a few times. I may even run to find a scrap sheet of paper to write down an idea for a recipe, or an ingredient I need from the store. So my workout my suffer a bit, but I use my DVR’d shows as motivation to keep working out.
Recently, I was inspired to create a Mexican Torta Sandwich.
What is a Mexican Torta?
A Torta is a type of sandwich from Mexico. Really, a torta is just a fancy word for sandwich or flatbread.
Why in the world I had not yet thought to put a Mexican spin on a sandwich, was beyond me. I could LIVE on easy Mexican Recipes.
I knew I had to try this Mexican Torta thing out.
Chipotle Chicken Torta
This Mexican sandwich is perfection. A soft roll, topped with tender shredded chicken, then finished with fresh tomato, avocado, lime, queso and crunchy cabbage.
I am in love, my husband is in love, and my kids are in love. I am willing to bet you will be in love as well.
Ingredients for Mexican Torta
You can really use any thing you like for this Mexican Sandwich, but I have found that a combination of crunchy, creamy, and fresh work best.
- Shredded Mexican Chicken–I love to use either Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken, Salsa Verde Chicken, or even leftover meat form Pork Carnitas.
- Shredded Cabbage–for color and crunch
- Avocado–for creaminess
- Queso Fresco–for tang and additional creaminess
- Tomato, for brightness
- Onion, for sharp flavor
Tips for Mexican Sandwich
- It is best to serve this sandwich right away, so the bread does not become soggy.
- If you need to make your chicken gluten free, omit beer from recipe and replace with chicken stock.
- If you don’t have queso fresco, feta is a great substitute.
- For tips on how to store your leftover chipolte peppers, check out my Freezer Post. You don’t want to waste ANY of that great flavor!
More Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Eggs Benedict with Avocado Hollandaise
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
- Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Jalapeno Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Mexican Sandwich Recipe
Chipotle Chicken Torta
A Mexican spin on a shredded chicken sandwich.
For Shredded Chipotle Chicken
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 1/4 cup chipolte peppers from a can
- 1/2 cup beer I used a mild lager, but chicken stock or orange juice works too
- 4 soft Bolio rolls or any soft sandwich rolls
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
For Chipotle Chicken
Place the chipolte peppers and sauce, the chicken, and the beer in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
For the sandwiches:
Mash the avocado with the juice of the lime and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread on the the top layer of each roll.
Layer the bottom of the roll with the chicken, tomato, onion, cabbage, and cheese. Place the top layer of the roll on the bottom and serve (with plenty of napkins.)