Mexican Chicken Torta: A Mexican Sandwich made with shredded Mexican chicken, crunchy cabbage, sharp queso fresco, and creamy avocado.
I have a confession to make to you all. I work out while catching up on my DVR cooking shows.
Why is this a confession? Because my workouts can tend to not be very productive.
So as I squat and lunge with my impressive 3 pound weights, I may stop and drool at the food a few times. I may even run to find a scrap sheet of paper to write down an idea for a recipe, or an ingredient I need from the store. So my workout my suffer a bit, but I use my DVR’d shows as motivation to keep working out.
Recently, I was inspired to create a Mexican Torta Sandwich.
What is a Mexican Torta?
A Torta is a type of sandwich from Mexico. Really, a torta is just a fancy word for sandwich or flatbread.
Why in the world I had not yet thought to put a Mexican spin on a sandwich, was beyond me. I could LIVE on easy Mexican Recipes.
I knew I had to try this Mexican Torta thing out.
Chipotle Chicken Torta
This Mexican sandwich is perfection. A soft roll, topped with tender shredded chicken, then finished with fresh tomato, avocado, lime, queso and crunchy cabbage.
I am in love, my husband is in love, and my kids are in love. I am willing to bet you will be in love as well.
Ingredients for Mexican Torta
You can really use any thing you like for this Mexican Sandwich, but I have found that a combination of crunchy, creamy, and fresh work best.
- Shredded Mexican Chicken–I love to use either Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken, Salsa Verde Chicken, or even leftover meat form Pork Carnitas.
- Shredded Cabbage–for color and crunch
- Avocado–for creaminess
- Queso Fresco–for tang and additional creaminess
- Tomato, for brightness
- Onion, for sharp flavor
Tips for Mexican Sandwich
- It is best to serve this sandwich right away, so the bread does not become soggy.
- If you need to make your chicken gluten free, omit beer from recipe and replace with chicken stock.
- If you don’t have queso fresco, feta is a great substitute.
- For tips on how to store your leftover chipolte peppers, check out my Freezer Post. You don’t want to waste ANY of that great flavor!
More Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Eggs Benedict with Avocado Hollandaise
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas
- Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Jalapeno Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Mexican Sandwich Recipe
Chipotle Chicken Torta
For Shredded Chipotle Chicken
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 1/4 cup chipolte peppers from a can
- 1/2 cup beer I used a mild lager, but chicken stock or orange juice works too
- 4 soft Bolio rolls or any soft sandwich rolls
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
For Chipotle Chicken
- Place the chipolte peppers and sauce, the chicken, and the beer in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- For the sandwiches:
- Mash the avocado with the juice of the lime and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread on the the top layer of each roll.
- Layer the bottom of the roll with the chicken, tomato, onion, cabbage, and cheese. Place the top layer of the roll on the bottom and serve (with plenty of napkins.)