Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas make the BEST Chicken Fajitas! Tender chicken breasts are marinated in a simple honey-lime marinade then grilled to juicy perfection. These Grilled Chicken Fajitas are easy to make, full of flavor, and light in calories.
The Honey Lime Chicken is flavorful enough that these fajitas need no other toppings. However, when topped with Corn Salsa and Homemade Salsa Verde, these fajitas become an explosion of flavors and textures that work perfectly together.
These Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas are seriously the BEST version of Chicken Fajitas. PERIOD.
Instead of seasoning chicken with fajita seasoning and pan-frying with onions and peppers, as is traditional in most fajita recipes–like my recipe for Steak Fajitas and Veggie Fajitas, these Chicken fajitas have a unique twist.
The layers of flavors created from the marinated grilled chicken, the sweet and slightly spicy corn salsa, and the tangy salsa verde, create a balance in flavors and textures that is hard to beat. These grilled fajitas are a bit sweet, a bit spicy, a bit tangy, and a bit smokey and everything works together to create a fajita that leaves you left feeling satisfied.
- Chicken: Use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe, as they both are a blank slate for the marinade and grill up fast.
- Honey Lime Marinade: The stars of this marinade are the honey and fresh lime juice. It is balanced out with a bit of hot sauce and minced garlic. Whatever you do, DO NOT use bottled lime juice–only fresh lime juice will do for the best flavor!
- Corn Salsa: I love topping this recipe with a paired down version of my Grilled Corn Salsa. It is made with corn, a bit of honey, and a bit of hot sauce. Simple, yet so flavorful and the texture it adds to the Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas is key.
- Salsa Verde: You can use your favorite store-bought salsa verde or use homemade salsa verde for the freshest of flavors.
- Tortillas: Use any tortillas you like, homemade flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or your favorite store-bought version.
- Cheese (optional): If desired, top these fajitas with crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- Prepare the honey-lime marinade by mixing together the honey, lime juice, lime zest, and salt until well combined.
- Place your chicken in a large gallon size storage bag and pour over the marinade, tossing to coat the chicken evenly with the mixture.
- Place the chicken in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 30 minutes up to 2 hours. You don’t want to marinate longer than 2 hours because the acid from the lime juice will start to break down the chicken.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Once the grill is heated, remove the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade, and place the chicken onto the grill.
- Add husked corn cobs to the grill as well to grill alongside the chicken.
- Grill the chicken for 5 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove chicken from grill, placing on a cutting board or plate and tent with foil.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Prepare Corn Salsa
- Remove the corn from the grill once the kernels are slightly charred–after about 10 to 12 minutes of grilling.
- Slice the corn kernels off the cob. I love to place the corn in a bundt pan and then slice off the kernels. This lets the corn fall into the pan and not all over your kitchen while keeping the corn cob steady.
- Toss the corn with the honey and hot sauce.
- To serve chicken fajitas, slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Layer on tortillas and top with the fresh corn salsa, salsa verde, queso fresco, and additional hot sauce if desired.
Serve Honey Lime Fajitas with
- Tortilla chips and a side of Salsa Verde, Homemade Salsa or Guacamole.
- Corn salsa to top fajitas or serve Grilled Mexican Corn on the side.
- Skip the salsa verde and corn and top with Pineapple Salsa.
- Serve Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice or Instant Pot Mexican Rice on the side.
I can’t wait for you to try out these Grilled Chicken Fajitas–they are truly so flavorful!
Honey Lime Chicken Fajitas
For the Honey Lime Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
For the Corn Salsa
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- pinch of salt
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
- Whisk the 1/2 cup lime juice with the honey, cayenne, minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Place the chicken and marinade into a sealable storage bag or bowl with a lid. Toss to coat and then refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to 4 hours, turning the chicken, once halfway through marinating.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil the grates. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding the marinade. Grill the chicken on each side for about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Allow chicken to rest 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Place corn cobs on the grill at the same time the chicken is being grilled. Grill the corn until the kernels bit charred and soft, turning frequently, about 10-12 minutes.
- Carefully cut off the corn kernels from the cob. A great tip is to rest the corn in the opening on a bundt pan and use a knife to carefully remove kernels.
- Mix corn with the honey, hot sauce, and pinch of salt.
Assemble Chicken Fajitas
- Top a tortilla with grilled chicken, salsa verde, a hefty scoop of corn salsa and feta or queso fresco cheese if desired.
- Be sure to zest your lime BEFORE juicing, or it will be next to impossible to zest it.
- Do not marinate the chicken longer than 4 hours or the acid will begin to alter the texture of the chicken.
- Leftover grilled chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This recipe was originally published in 2016 but was updated in 2020 with new pictures and a video.