Made with a rich broth, white beans, green chilies, and tender chicken, Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is a creamy, comforting, easy crockpot recipe.
Why You Will Love Slow Cooker White Chili
Crockpot White Chicken Chili is an all-time favorite recipe at my house for many reasons.
- Super easy to make. Seriously, this recipe is near effortless. It is as simple as dumping everything into the slow cooker and setting it and forgeting it!
- Flavorful, yet not spicy. The chili is full of incredible flavor thanks to the garlic, cumin, and green chilies. Yet the heat level is on the milder side, making it perfect for picky eaters or sensitive palates.
- Allergy-Friendly. Slow cooker white chicken is gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free, making it a perfect option for those with dietary restrictions and allergies.
- Hearty, yet light. Every bite of this chili is loaded with tender, shredded chicken, making this chili super hearty. Yet as there is no added oil, no added dairy, and made with lean chicken, this chili is much lower in fat and calories that classic Beef and Bean Chili.
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: You can use either boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs. If your chicken is frozen, be sure to defrost first or use my recipe for Instant Pot White Chicken Chili which has directions for using frozen chicken.
- Green Chilies: Canned diced green chilies is essential to the flavor in crockpot white chicken chili. Do not overlook this ingredient, as it gives the dish the flavor white chicken chili is known for.
- White Beans: This recipe calls for 2 (15 ounce) cans of white northern beans. Only drain one can--the thick canning liquid gives the chili a nice salty taste and helps to thicken the chili up.
- Optional: If you are desiring a creamy, cheesy chicken chili, you can add 4 ounces of cream cheese to to the chili, making it super rich.
How to Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Place all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- After the chili has cooked, remove the bay leaves and discard. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Let the chicken rest, while you thicken the sauce.
- The key to this White Chicken Chili is to thickened the chili by pureeing part of beans and broth together. To puree the sauce, place 2 cups of the beans and broth mixture into a blender. Place the lid on the blender but leave cracked to allow a bit of the hot steam to escape. Blend until smooth and stir back into slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken using 2 forks or place the chicken into a bowl and use a handheld mixer on low speed to quickly shred the chicken.
- Add back the shredded chicken, stir everything together and heat through until warm.
Serving White Chicken Chili
Crockpot White Chicken Chili can be served plain. But it is extra delicious when served with shredded cheese, sliced avocado, sour cream, and corn chips or with a side of homemade cornbread muffins.
If you have leftover slow cooker white chicken chili, you can store it in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Alternatively, you can freeze the cooled chili in a freezer-safe container, being sure to leave a bit of room for expansion, for up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost the white chicken chili in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it over low heat on the stove, on low in a slow cooker, or in the microwave.
First, be sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. Then add your cream cheese to the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
No, but it does help create the creamy, thick texture that white chicken chili is known for. Instead of blending, you can use an immersion blender. This method will cut down on the number of dishes you have, but be sure to only puree a bit of the chili to keep the texture of the chili intact.
More Comforting Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Crockpot Baked Ziti
- Crockpot Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Need more inspiration for planning meals that your family will love? Sign up for my FREE Meal Plans and each week you will get a meal plan with a shopping list.
If you enjoyed this recipe for crockpot white chicken chili, please be sure to leave a comment and review below.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small onion finely minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern White beans see note
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, Greek yogurt, shredded montery jack or cheddar cheese, feta cheese, salsa verde, tortilla chips
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, mix together the stock, cumin, onion powder, minced garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, bay leaves, onion, and chilies. Pour in 1 can of white beans without draining, and then rinse and drain the other can of beans and add to the slow cooker as well. Nestle the chicken in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board or in a bowl.
- While the chicken is removed from the slow cooker, use a handheld immersion blender to puree part of the chili--you only want to puree about 2 cups of the chili, as you want some of the beans to still remain whole. Alternatively, you can place 2 cups of the chili into a blender and blend until smooth and mix back into the slow cooker. If blending, be sure to leave the lid on your blender open a crack to let steam escape.
- Slice up the chicken into bite-size pieces, or use a handheld kitchen mixer to quickly shred your chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
- Top with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, and/or cilantro.