Skip buying canned cream of chicken soup, filled with preservatives and allergens, and make your own Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup with this easy recipe! This recipe for Homemade Cream of Chicken is a perfect substitute for canned cream of chicken soup and can be used in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of chicken soup.
Use this Homemade Cream of Chicken as the base for Chicken Pot Pie, Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice, and Creamy Parmesan Chicken Casserole, for from-scratch comfort food, regardless of your food sensitivities or allergies.
Homemade cream of chicken soup is SO easy to make.
In fact, after you see how quickly this homemade condensed soup comes together, you may wonder why you have been using the canned version for so long.
This simple recipe for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup only takes a few minutes of work and it makes your meals taste a trillion times better! Plus you skip all those preservatives and added MSG!
This recipe will make the equivalent of one (10.75-ounce) can of condensed cream of chicken soup and can easily be doubled or tripled for larger recipes. And it truly only takes a few extra minutes of work–I promise it is worth the effort!
- Butter: Butter is the best choice for the fat portion of the roux, for the most flavorful condensed soup. However, if you want a dairy-free cream of chicken soup, use a vegan butter or olive oil in place of the butter.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is best, but if you need Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup, use 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Chicken Stock: Homemade or store-bought stock both work equally well in this recipe.
- Milk: Any fat percentage works in this recipe. If you need this recipe to be dairy-free, use stock in place of the milk or unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk.
- Seasoned Salt: This is a homemade blend of dried spices that adds just the right flavor, but feel free to use your favorite store-bought brand.
Step One: Make a Roux
Roux is just a fancy way of saying a mixture of fat and flour that is cooked together to thicken recipes.
To make the roux, melt butter over medium heat and then whisk in equal amounts of flour and whisk until smooth and thick.
An important tip to making a roux is to let the thickened flour mixture cook for a minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
Step Two: Add in Liquid
Once the roux has come together you want to add in chicken stock and milk. It is best to first add in the stock slowly, whisking well to incorporate and prevent lumps. Once combined add in the milk and seasoning and whisk until mixture comes to a boil and thickens up. It will only take a few minutes.
To Use Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
You can either opt to use the condensed soup right away or cool and store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
This recipe will replace one 10.75-ounce can of condensed cream of chicken soup in any recipe and is especially delicious in casseroles.
Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken Soup
For a gluten-free version of Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup, use 1:1 Gluten Free Flour blend in place of regular flour. I have done this many times with great success.
Dairy-Free Cream of Chicken Soup
For a dairy-free version of Cream of Chicken Soup, use a vegan butter (like Earth Balance) or olive oil, and add chicken stock instead of milk. You could also use non-dairy milk (like almond milk or soy milk) but be sure it is both unsweetened and unflavored.
This homemade cream of chicken soup makes so cooking from scratch easy! Use this recipe or Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup to make your favorite comfort food recipes–regardless of allergies or dietary restrictions.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Heat the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking occasionally to remove the raw flour taste, until a thick paste (AKA a roux) forms.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock, blending well. Once chicken stock is well combined in the roux, slowly whisk in milk and add in seasoned salt as well.
- While still over medium heat, whisk until the the mixture comes to a boil again, and cook until thickened. This takes about 2-5 minutes depending on pan and heat source.
- Remove from heat and use in any recipe that calls for cream of chicken soup.
- For a gluten-free version of Cream of Chicken Soup, use 1:1 Gluten Free Flour blend in place of regular flour.
- For a dairy free version of Cream of Chicken Soup, use a vegan butter (like Earth Balance) or olive oil. And in place of the milk, use either additional chicken stock or unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk.
- This is equivalent to one 10.75 ounce can of cream of chicken soup. This homemade recipe of condensed chicken soup can be used in any recipe that calls for a can of cream of chicken soup.
- You can store this cream of chicken soup in the fridge for up to 5 days. It does not freeze well.