This recipe for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup comes together in minutes to create a wholesome substitute for canned cream of chicken soup.
This homemade cream of chicken soup makes so cooking from scratch easy! Use this recipe or Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup to make your favorite comfort food recipes--regardless of allergies or dietary restrictions.
Why Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup?
Condensed cream of chicken soup is a staple in many recipes. But that canned soup is filled with preservatives, additives, and MSG. Not to mention it is really high in sodium.
You can leave those preservatives and allergens on the shelf and instead make your own Homemade Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup with this easy recipe.
Made with wholesome ingredients and modifications to make this cream of chicken soup gluten-free and/or dairy-free, this simple recipe takes minutes to make and tastes a trillion times better than the store-bought cream of chicken soup.
In fact, after you see how quickly this homemade condensed soup comes together, you may wonder why you have been using the canned version for so long.
Notes on Ingredients & Modifications
I have had wonderful success using the modifications listed below to make both Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken Soup and Dairy-Free Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter or your favorite vegan butter for this recipe.
- Flour: Use all-purpose or 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend for a gluten-free Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Chicken Stock: To control the sodium, use low-sodium chicken stock or broth. Either store-bought or homemade chicken stock work equally well in this recipe.
- Milk: Any fat percentage works in this recipe. If you need this recipe to be dairy-free, use additional chicken stock in place of the milk or unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk.
- Seasoned Salt: I used homemade seasoned salt which is a blend of dried spices that adds just the right flavor, but feel free to use your favorite store-bought brand.
How to Make Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
Cream of Chicken Soup is a simple two-step recipe. It is simply made by making a roux and then whisking in liquid to create a thick condensed soup mixture.
- To make the roux, which is simply a combination of fat and flour used to thicken sauces and soups, melt butter over medium heat and then whisk in equal amounts of flour and whisk until smooth and thick. Let that mixture cook for a minute or two to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add the chicken stock to the pan, whisking well to incorporate and prevent lumps.
- Once combined, slowly whisk the milk and seasoned salt into the soup and continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens up. It will only take a few minutes.
- And DONE! See, this homemade cream of chicken soup is incredibly simple to make!
How to Use Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
This recipe will replace one (10.75-ounce can) of condensed cream of chicken soup in any recipe and is especially delicious in casseroles.
You can either opt to use the condensed soup right away in any recipe of your choice or cool it and then store it in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Use this Homemade Cream of Chicken as the base for:
More Homemade Pantry Staples
Making your own sauces, dressings, soups, and spice blends is a great way to save money and enjoy a more wholesome diet. Below are a few of my favorite recipes to keep stocked at all times in my kitchen.
If you tried this recipe for cream of chicken soup, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted butter or vegan butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten-free flour
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour to form a thick paste. Continue to cook for 1 minute to lightly toast the flour, whisking constantly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock, blending well. Once the stock is well combined in the roux, slowly whisk in milk and seasoned salt.
- While still over medium heat, whisk until the mixture comes to a boil and cook until thickened. This takes about 2-5 minutes depending on the pan and heat source.
- Remove from heat and use immediately or allow to cool and then store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
This post was originally shared in 2019 but updated in 2023.
Made this last night and used for a chicken pot pie recipe with alternative flour and milk. It turned out great!!! I will be saving this for future recipes. Thank you for sharing!
So happy to hear this recipe helped you enjoy something you may normally not be able to enjoy!
Hi 🙂 I wanted to say thank you so much for your recipe! It was way easier than I expected it to be when looking up cream of chicken recipes and with quick and already on hand ingredients! You helped me pay tribute to a deceased friend with a food that was very special to her and help bring a positive spin (and taste 😀 ) to a hard day. She loved Cream of Chicken and despite all her health/appetite/dietary issues it was soothing to her. I have a sensitivity to gluten so avoid it but now I have a stress free way to honor her. Even being low energy as I often am, I was able to make it. That night i had it with a chicken burger and the next with hotdogs. Next I want to try tater tot casserole! 😀 One more thing I love about this is I can also make sure my allium (garlic/onion and related) intolerant sister can also have the sauces with me and not feel poorly afterward because the seasoning is so customizable! 😀 (I did mine with curry, paprika, white pepper and black pepper that night).
I plan to explore more of your page now and share it with others.
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your friend. But food is a beautiful way to celebrate your friend and revisit the memories you made.