Made with seasoned, roasted cauliflower and finished with avocado cream, these Cauliflower Tacos are surprisingly hearty and full of flavor!
Pair these plant-based tacos with a side of Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice and Instant Pot Refried Beans for a plant-based dinner that is perfectly balanced and filling.
Whether you are looking for more plant-based recipes or just want to enjoy a creative and delicious recipe using cauliflower, you will LOVE this recipe for Roasted Cauliflower Tacos.
Not only is this recipe ridiculously easy to prepare and relatively affordable to make, but the flavors are also out of this world. From the hearty cauliflower that has been seasoned with homemade taco seasoning and roasted until tender and crispy, to the fresh avocado lime sauce, these cauliflower tacos have everything you are craving in a good taco--a variety of textures, flavors, and temperatures.
And just like my recipes for Lentil Tacos and Black Bean Tacos, this recipe for Cauliflower Tacos comes together with a few minutes of hands-on prep and a handful of ingredients to create a simple, healthy meal. Making these irresistibly good Cauliflower Tacos the perfect recipe to enjoy any night of the week.
Notes on Ingredients
- Cauliflower: Be sure to select a head of cauliflower that feels heavy and is without blemish.
- Taco Seasoning: I highly recommend using homemade Taco Seasoning to control the flavor and sodium content.
- Avocados: Select ripe avocados for the creamiest avocado sauce.
- Limes: Using the juice of fresh limes will make the brightest, tangiest, avocado sauce.
- Tortillas: Use corn tortillas, flour tortillas, gluten-free tortillas, or even lettuce wraps to serve Cauliflower Tacos. I personally prefer using my homemade flour tortillas, as they are soft and hearty.
How to Make Cauliflower Tacos
The process of making cauliflower tacos is not complicated. Season and roast the cauliflower and while the cauliflower is roasting, prepare your avocado sauce and toast your tortillas. Then it is as easy as assembling and devouring!
Step One: Roast Cauliflower
Roasting the cauliflower until tender, browned, and caramelized is the key to making delicious, hearty cauliflower taco meat.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets and place it onto a large sheet pan.
- Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil and season with taco seasoning and use your hands to evenly coat the cauliflower with the seasonings.
- Spread the cauliflower out onto the pan so that it is not overlapping. Overcrowding the sheet pan will result in the cauliflower being steamed instead of roasted. It is better to use 2 pans than to try to fit the cauliflower onto one pan.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender and browned, flipping once during the cooking process. I like to take my cauliflower to the brink of burning, as I love those charred crispy bits in my tacos, but roast to your desired crispiness.
Step Two: Prepare Avocado Sauce
While the cauliflower is roasting, use that time to prepare the avocado sauce which adds a bright, fresh, creamy contrast to the crispy cauliflower.
- Cut the avocado open, remove the pit, and scoop the flesh of the avocado into a blender or mini food processor.
- Add the fresh lime juice, lime zest, and salt to the food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adding 1 tablespoon of water if needed to achieve a creamy consistency.
Alternatively, you can mash the avocado with a fork, but using a mini food processor will help to achieve super creamy results and makes for easier drizzling over your tacos.
Step Three: Assemble Tacos
You can opt to use your cauliflower taco meat just as you would classic beef taco meat, but my favorite way to serve the roasted cauliflower is on a toasted tortilla shell drizzled with avocado sauce.
- Toast each tortilla in a dry skillet for 10-30 seconds per side, until warm and pliable.
- Top each tortilla with the roasted cauliflower and then drizzle generously with the avocado sauce.
- You can also opt to serve these Cauliflower Tacos with sliced radishes, shredded red cabbage, and Pickled Red Onions. Feel free to add queso fresco or sour cream as well if you are not dairy-free.
Storage & Reheating
Cauliflower Tacos are best consumed immediately after assembling to ensure that the texture of the cauliflower stays crispy.
However, if you have leftover roasted cauliflower and leftover avocado sauce, store both separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat the cauliflower by broiling for 2-3 minutes per side. Do not microwave, as the cauliflower will lose its texture and become mushy. Assemble the cauliflower on tortillas and serve with the leftover avocado sauce.
More Tex-Mex Meatless Meals
Want More Plant-Based Recipes with a Tex-Mex spin? Check out a few of my favorites:
- Veggie Fajitas
- Copycat Chipotle Sofritas
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Potato Burritos
- Black Bean Tacos
- Bean Burritos
If you have tried out these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos, I would love for you to leave a comment and a review below.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Taco Seasoning
Avocado Lime Sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1 fresh lime juice and zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- queso freso or feta cheese optional
- Pickled Red Onions optional
- chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut Cauliflower into florets.
- Drizzle cauliflower with olive oil and season with taco seasoning. Toss to coat evenly with seasonings and then spread out on a large baking sheet. Use 2 pans if needed so that the cauliflower is not overcrowded and can roast properly.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, until tender and browned, flipping once during the cooking process.
Make Avocado Lime Sauce
- Place ripe avocado in a blender or mini food processor. Add in fresh lime juice, lime zest, and salt to food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides if needed. If you need to thin out your sauce, add in 1 tablespoon of cold water.
- To serve Cauliflower Tacos, place roasted cauliflower onto tortilla or lettuce wrap. Drizzle with avocado sauce and top with pickled red onions, cilantro, and cheese if using.
This post was originally published in 2019 but was updated in 2023.
These taste like no other! We had these last weekend and my family can't get enough of them. They were incredibly good and enjoyable. Such a great recipe.
I love hearing your family enjoyed these Cauliflower Tacos, Sharina! Thanks for sharing.
WOW! I am so happy I made this, they were THAT good!! Even my teenagers loved them!
Such a healthy and delicious spin! Great for a lighter dinner.
Meatless tacos have never tasted so good as these!
This recipe was so incredible even though I was hesitant to try.
This was perfect for getting my kiddos to eat their veggies. Thanks for sharing!
WAHOO for kids eating veggies! So glad you all enjoyed Allison and thank you for taking the time to review.
I love this idea! I never thought about replacing meat with roasted cauliflower and it is genius! So delicious and perfect for meatless Mondays!
I am so glad this recipe inspired you to try something new Taylor and that you enjoyed it!