Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is a flavorful, simple recipe for white or brown rice seasoned with fresh cilantro and limes.
If you love Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice, you will love this cheap and easy copycat recipe for Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice.
One of my favorite things to make in the Instant Pot is rice. Whether preparing basic Instant Pot Brown Rice or Instant Pot Jasmine Rice or adding a twist of flavor, as does this recipe for Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, making rice in the Instant pot guarantees perfect results.
An electric pressure cooker seals in the liquid, ensuring that the rice has exactly what it needs to turn out fluffy, chewy, and tender. Add in a bit of lime zest and fresh cilantro, and you can make Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice for pennies per servings with hardly any effort!
This Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice, is full of fresh cilantro and bright lime flavor. It is absolutely delicious and could not be easier to make when using the Instant Pot.
- Rice: Use brown long-grain rice or white long-grain rice for this recipe. The recipe card will walk you through the different cook times for both varieties of rice.
- Liquid: I have used water, vegetable broth, Instant Pot chicken stock, and even pineapple juice for this Cilantro Lime Rice. All work great. For an authentic-tasting copycat version, I recommend using vegetable broth or water for the best results.
- Limes: Fresh limes, both the zest and the juice, are a must for the best flavor.
- Cilantro: Add chopped cilantro to the rice for a pop of flavor and color. I feel it is important to note that you can prepare this without the cilantro--for delicious lime-infused rice.
How To Make Rice in Instant Pot
- Place the rice into a colander and rinse until the water runs clear. This step is CRUCIAL to fluffy Instant Pot Rice that does not stick to the inner pan.
- Pour the broth or water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Stir in the salt and lime zest.
- Add in rinsed, damp rice, and gently push down the rice with a spoon. DO NOT STIR!
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and be sure to point the valve to the sealed position.
- For brown rice cook for 22 minutes on high pressure. For white rice cook for 3 minutes on high pressure. Do NOT use the rice function, as this defaults to low pressure on some models.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally the entire way. If you do a quick release of pressure, the rice will be gummy and starchy.
- Remove the lid from Instant Pot and add in fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Fluff rice with a fork, as you incorporate flavors into cooked rice. Fluffing the rice with a fork versus stirring the rice keeps the rice from breaking down and getting mushy.
If you happen to have leftover rice, be sure to cool it fully and then transfer it to an airtight container. Store leftover Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the rice for up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator and use it within 3 days.
Yes! Rinsing rice will remove the surface starch that can cause the rice to get mushy and stick together when cooked.
No! It is best to allow the pressure to release fully on its own, to prevent gummy, starchy rice. After 10 minutes of natural pressure release, you can opt to do a quick release of the remaining pressure. But it is best to allow a full natural pressure release.
The rice function often defaults to low pressure and does not know what type of rice you are cooking. It is best to control the pressure and timing yourself.
Ways to Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice
- Top Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice with Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa to soak up all the delicious cooking liquid.
- Serve this flavorful rice as a side dish for Tacos, Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, Instant Pot Carnitas, or Chicken Enchiladas.
- Wrap ¼ cup of this Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice along with Copycat Chipotle Sofritas and mashed avocado in a store-bought or homemade tortilla for a delicious vegetarian burrito or serve without the tortilla for a vegan-friendly burrito bowl.
- As a base for Instant Pot Mongolian Beef or Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken, for a bold, fresh contrast to the Chinese-American flavor of these recipes.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- Instant Pot Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Risotto
- Instant Pot Rice and Beans
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice
If you enjoyed this copycat recipe of Cilantro Lime Rice, please take the time to leave a comment or a review.
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cups long-grain rice brown or white
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Rinse and drain the rice well.
- Stir together the broth, lime zest and salt in the inner pot of the Instant Pot.
- Add in the wet, rinsed rice and gently push rice down into stock to submerge. DO NOT STIR RICE.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and be sure the vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- For Brown Rice, cook on high pressure for 22 minutes. For White Rice, cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure has released fully, open the instant pot and add in the chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice. Fluff with a fork to incorporate.
This post was originally published in 2018 but has been updated with new photos.