This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, made with seasoned chicken, peppers, and onions, is a super easy and quick dinner recipe filled with flavor.
While Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas taste like authentic chicken fajitas, this recipe is anything but authentic.
There is no sizzling skillet. No need to babysit the fajita mixture as it cooks. Instead, this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas produces a ridiculously simple, flavorful fajita-flavored chicken mixture that is downright delicious.
why you'll love this recipe
- Hands-Off. After slicing the chicken, peppers, and onions, the instant pot does all the work for you!
- Quick Meal. This recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas is ready from start to finish in under 30 minutes--and that includes the time slicing the peppers!
- Versatile. Of course, you can serve the chicken and pepper mixture on fajitas, for classic chicken fajitas. But this mixture is also delicious served over rice, used as the meat in a taco salad, or as the filling for chicken enchiladas.
- Heathier. There is no added oil in this recipe and the fajitas are made with lean chicken breast, making these Chicken Fajitas low in fat, yet still big on flavor!
Notes on Ingredients
- Chicken: I recommend using either boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips, or chicken tenders. That will ensure the cooking time is accurate.
- Peppers: Use any combination of bell peppers you like, such as red, yellow, and/or green. I personally love using a variety of colors for visual pop. Plus red and yellow peppers add a sweeter flavor, while green bell pepper adds a nice fresh flavor.
- Onion: Use a yellow, white, or sweet large onion for fajitas. I don't recommend red onions for this recipe, as they don't get as tender as white onions when pressure cooked.
- Chicken Stock: Use low-sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock or Instant Pot Bone Broth. For this recipe, you will only need to use ½ cup for a 3 or 6-quart instant pot or ¾ cup for an 8-quart model. Most of my recipes call for using at least 1 cup of liquid when pressure cooking, but for this recipe, the chicken, peppers, and onions will release enough liquid for pressure to be maintained.
- Fajita Seasoning: I use my homemade fajita seasoning which is made with smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin. You can use store-bought seasoning or even taco seasoning to flavor the chicken fajitas.
- Limes: Do not overlook this addition! Adding both the juice and zest of fresh limes will brighten the dish and make the flavors pop in your mouth.
How To Make Chicken Fajitas in the Instant Pot
While this is an incredibly simple recipe, if you are unfamiliar with cooking in an Instant Pot or the functions of your Instant Pot, be sure to start with How to Use an Instant Pot for the best results on this and future recipes. You will find the full recipe in detail in the recipe card below.
- Unless you are using chicken tenders, slice your chicken breasts into ½-inch thick strips, lengthwise, to create long thin strips.
- Sprinkle the chicken strips with the fajita seasoning and toss to coat the chicken evenly with the seasoning.
- Add the chicken stock to the inner pot, using ½ cup for a 3 or 6-quart Instant Pot or ¾ cup for an 8-quart model. Remember, you don't need as much liquid for this recipe, as the peppers and onions will produce excess liquid themselves.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the inner pot.
Top with the sliced onion, sliced peppers, and minced garlic. Sprinkle the remaining fajita seasoning over the pepper and onions.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, being sure to lock or seal the lid. Set to cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes using the pressure cook or manual button.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. This extra step will keep the chicken tender, so do not do a quick release of pressure for the best results!
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and then using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, onions, and peppers to a serving bowl.
- Add the zest and juice of the limes to the chicken and pepper mixture, tossing to coat.
- Serve the chicken and pepper mixture on warmed flour tortillas and top with desired toppings, such as sour cream, sliced avocado, and shredded cheese.
And while Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas obviously are suited to be served as a classic chicken fajita, this mixture is also delicious when served over Instant Pot Jasmine Rice with a scoop of homemade guacamole for an easy, homemade burrito bowl or as the meat in a Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Chicken Enchiladas, or Taco Salad.
More Instant Pot Tex Mex Recipes
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
- Instant Pot Rice and Beans
If you enjoyed this simple recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, I would love for you to make
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
For the Chicken Fajitas
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
- ½-3/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock *see note
- 1 large yellow or white onion thinly sliced
- 3 large bell peppers thinly sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 limes (zest and juice)
- Prepare the fajita seasoning by combining chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Trim any fat from the chicken breasts and then slice into ½-inch thick strips, lengthwise (long, thin strips). Sprinkle ½ the fajita seasoning mixture over the chicken and toss to coat evenly with the spice mixture.
- Add the chicken stock to the inner pot, using ½ cup for a 3 or 6-quart Instant Pot or ¾ cup for an 8-quart model.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the inner pot. Top with the sliced onion, sliced peppers, and minced garlic. Sprinkle the remaining fajita seasoning over the pepper and onions.
- Seal the instant pot, being sure the vent knob is pointed to sealed or the lid is locked. Using the pressure cook or manual button, set the cooking time to 4 minutes on High Pressure. Once cooking time is finished let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken, onions, and peppers from the inner pot to a serving bowl. Add the zest and juice of the limes and toss to coat.
- Serve the fajita mixture as desired on warmed tortillas or over rice with your favorite toppings.