Lentil meatballs are a delicious, hearty vegan alternative to meatballs. These lentil meatballs are tender, full of flavor and filling.
I adore meatballs.
And so does my entire family–but my little girl only likes meatless meatballs.
Hence the need to create a meatball that is delicious, hearty, and meat free.
These lentil meatballs are not only meat free, but they happen to be vegan as well. But most importantly they are full of INCREDIBLE flavor.
Lentils really are a great substitute for meat in so many dishes, as they are full or protein and have a great hearty texture. Lentils also come with the added benefit of being gluten-free, full of fiber and iron. And when blended up in a food processor, lentils are the perfect base for meatless meatball.
How to Make Vegetarian Meatballs
Step One: Prepare Lentils
- Cook green lentils according to package directions.
- Allow to cool slightly.
Be sure to use GREEN lentils for the best texture.
Step Two: Make Flax Egg Substitute
- While lentils are cooking, mix together one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water.
- Mix together, and let sit for 15 minutes to thicken.
I use a flax egg to keep these vegetarian meatballs vegan as well, but you can use a regular egg.
Step Three: Process Lentil Meatballs
- Add lentils, oats, flax egg, and seasonings to food processor.
- Process until well combined.
Step Four: Roll Meatballs
- Grease a baking sheet with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion out 1 tablespoon of lentil mixture out and roll into ball and place on greased baking pan.
Step Five: Bake Meatballs
- Bake for 15 minutes until meatballs are browned.
More Vegan Recipes
- Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream
- Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes
Lentil Meatball Recipe
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1/4 cup gluten free oats
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic minced and divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxmeal
- 3 tablespoons water
- Prepare lentils according to package directions and allow to slightly cool.
- While lentils are cooking prepare flax egg by mixing together flaxmeal with water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly brush sheet pan with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Process lentils, oats, flax egg, red pepper flakes, oregano, parsley, onion powder, pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon garlic together in food processor until just combined.
- Shape mixture into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until just browned.
- Serve meatballs with marinara sauce if desired.
- Feel free to use regular egg in place of flax egg.
- Use certified gluten free oats to keep these meatballs gluten free.
- Be sure to use green, not red lentils, for the best texture.
To Make Vegan Meatballs, You May Need:
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Thanks so much for being a part of A Mind Full Mom!