Lentil Tacos are a delicious meatless version of tacos. Lentils are simmered with taco seasoning and finished with an avocado-lime cream and crunchy cabbage for a perfect balance in flavors and texture.
One request I often get is for more meatless meals that satisfy both vegetarians and meat-eaters.
Lentil Tacos are just the answer you are looking for.
Lentils are a sort of magical thing when it comes to meatless meals. They have a similar texture to ground meat, are easy to find, easy to cook, and take on any flavor you are going for--therefore they are really easy to get picky family members to eat. I often use lentils to make sloppy joes, meatless meatballs, and these Lentil Tacos. The meals are always a hit with my family, including my meat-eating husband.
Not to mention that lentils are inexpensive. But really who cares if you save money if no one will eat your meal, right?
You don't need to worry about these slightly spicy Lentil Tacos. They are AH-AMAZING!!! The lentils themselves taste just like traditional ground taco meat and when paired with a fresh lime avocado cream, these meatless tacos are sure to be devoured.
- Lentils: Be sure to use brown or green lentils, not red or yellow lentils, as they will break down too much when cooked.
- Taco Seasoning: The seasoning for the lentil meat is tomato sauce and taco seasoning. I use my homemade taco seasoning, but any taco seasoning is fine to use.
- Avocado Sauce: The avocado sauce is made with avocado, lime juice, and salt. It is simple, yet so flavorful.
- Cabbage: Shredded cabbage adds crunch and freshness to these meatless tacos. Be sure to add fresh lime juice to the shredded cabbage to help really flavor it.
- Tortillas: Use any tortillas you like--corn, wheat, or gluten-free tortillas.
How to Make Lentil Tacos
- Bring water, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and lentils to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the toppings. Mash or blend the avocado with lime juice and salt. Shred the cabbage and sprinkle with lime juice. Chop tomatoes and cilantro if using.
- To serve lentil tacos, place a generous scoop of lentils onto warmed tortillas. Top with shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and avocado cream.
More Meatless Mexican Favorites
- Vegan Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers
- Southwestern Veggie Tostadas
- Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
- Cauliflower Tacos
These lentil tacos are not only healthy, easy, and flavorful, they are also super affordable and made with simple pantry staples.
Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream
For Lentil Taco Meat
For Avocado Sauce
- 1 large avocado
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large tomato diced
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 6 tortillas
- Bring water, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and lentils to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- While lentils are cooking, prepare the avocado sauce, by mashing the avocado with the juice of 1 ½ limes and salt. Use the remaining lime juice to drizzle the cabbage with.
- Warm the toritllas by placing tortillas directly over gas burners (over medium-heat) for 1 minute per side, but you can also heat them in dry hot skillet the same way.
- To assemble, place a layer of cabbage on tortilla, top with lentil mixture, diced tomatoes, cilantro and a drizzle or dollop of the avocado cream.
- Be sure to use green or brown lentils for the lentil taco meat, not yellow or red lentils.
- Nutrition is based on lentil taco meat and avocado cream, not tortillas.