Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream are a delicious meatless version of tacos. Lentils are simmered with taco seasoning and finished with avocado lime cream and crunchy cabbage for a perfect balance in flavors and texture.
One request I often get is for more meatless meals that satisfy both vegetarians and meat eaters.
Lentil Tacos are just the answer you are looking for.
Lentils are a sort of magical thing when it comes to meatless meals. They have a similar texture to ground meat, are easy to find, easy to cook, and take on any flavor you are going for–therefore they are really easy to get picky family members to eat. I often use lentils to make sloppy joes and they are always a hit with my family, including my meat-eating husband.
Not to mention that lentils are inexpensive. But really who cares if you save money if no one will eat your meal, right?
You don’t need to worry with these slightly spicy Lentil Tacos. They are AH-AMAZING!!! The lentils themselves taste just like traditional ground taco meat and when paired with a fresh lime avocado cream, these meatless tacos are sure to be devoured.
How to Make Lentil Tacos
Step One: Prepare Lentils
- Bring water, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and lentils to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
Step Two: Prepare Avocado Cream
- Blend or mash the avocado with lime juice and salt.
Step Three: Prepare Toppings
- Finely shred cabbage. Sprinkle with lime juice.
- Chop tomatoes and onions if using.
- Chop cilantro.
Step Four: Serve Lentil Tacos
- Warm tortillas (corn or flour).
- Place generous scoop of lentils onto each tortilla.
- Top with shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro and the avocado cream.
More Mexican Meatless Recipes
- Cauliflower Tacos
- Vegan Tex Mex Stuffed Peppers
- Southwestern Veggie Tostadas
- Healthy Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
Lentil Taco Recipe
Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream
Lentils are the base for hearty vegetarian tacos topped with an avocado cream.
- 6 tortillas
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 large avocado
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
Bring water, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and lentils to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low, cover pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.
While lentils are cooking, prepare the avocado sauce, by mashing the avocado with the juice of 1 1/2 limes and salt. Use the remaining lime juice to drizzle the cabbage with.
Also, char the tortillas. I put them directly over my gas burners (over medium-heat) for 1 minute per side, but you can also heat them in dry hot skillet the same way.
To assemble, place a layer of cabbage on tortilla, top with lentil mixture, diced tomatoes, cilantro and a drizzle or dollop of the avocado cream.