These hearty Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes are perfect for a meatless meal your whole family will enjoy! Lentils are slowly simmered with stock, tomatoes, and spices to create a Vegetarian Sloppy Joe that is even a winner with die-hard meat-eaters.
When I told my husband Vegan Sloppy Joes were on the Menu, he was not excited.
He loves my traditional Sloppy Joe recipe, but he was a bit hesitant to try out a Vegetarian Sloppy Joe.
Friends, he ate 3!!! That is what we call success at our house!
Vegan Sloppy Joes
These Vegetarian Sloppy Joes start with a base of lentils.
Lentils work as a great plant-based substitute for meat, as they mimic a ground beef texture, have a decent amount of protein, and are quite filling.
When simmered with tomato sauce, vegetables stock and the right blend of seasonings, lentils create a perfect Vegan Sloppy Joe.
These Vegetarian Sloppy Joes are rich, hearty, and a bit tangy. This is a simple, plant-based meal that is affordable, filling, and delicious! These Vegan Sloppy Joes are even approved by picky kids!
How to Make Vegan Sloppy Joes
- Mix together all ingredients in large slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Alternatively, you can simmer all the ingredients together on the stove for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
Notes on Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Serve these Vegetarian Sloppy Joes on whole wheat buns, gluten-free buns, or over a baked sweet potato or potato.
- Feel free to top these sloppy joes with cheese if you are not vegan.
- Green and brown lentils are best for these Vegetarian Sloppy Joes, as they retain more texture and chew. I have made with red lentils for a softer sloppy joe. Do NOT use yellow lentils, as they will completely disintegrate.
More Vegan Main Courses
- Vegetarian Chili
- Easy Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cream
- Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Vegan Sloppy Joe Recipe
Slow Cooker Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup dried lentils green or brown
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Buns for serving
- Stir all ingredients (except buns) in slow cooker. Set to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.