Enjoy the taste of a rich peanut butter cup in coffee form with this easy recipe for a Peanut Butter Mocha. Made with homemade chocolate peanut butter syrup, strong coffee, and steamed milk, this peanut butter coffee is an easy, decadent coffee house treat!
I start each and every day with a simple homemade latte. But when I want to really indulge, I opt for this homemade Peanut Butter Mocha.
Made with rich peanut butter and decadent chocolate all swirled together with a boost of caffeine, this peanut butter latte studded with chocolate is so much better than anything I can purchase at a coffee chain! Not to mention, this peanut butter cup coffee is reminiscent of a Homemade Peanut Butter Cup.
With every sip, I feel myself relaxing and enjoying the moment. And the best part? This recipe for peanut butter coffee comes together in minutes!
Notes On Ingredients
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Syrup: This is nothing more than cocoa powder, water, sugar, and peanut butter combined together to create a flavored coffee syrup. It takes just a few minutes to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Perfect for when the craving for peanut butter coffee strikes.
- Milk: Use any milk you like, cow's milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc. Keep in mind the higher fat the milk you use, the richer this mocha will taste.
- Coffee: You can use either espresso or strongly brewed coffee. So don't worry if you don't have an espresso machine!
- Whisk: To make coffee house lattes at home, the only tool you need is a hand-held whisk. It froths warmed milk perfectly in just 30 seconds.
- Short-Cut Option: Instead of making homemade peanut butter chocolate syrup, you can opt to simply combine 1 tablespoon of your favorite prepared chocolate syrup with 1 teaspoon of peanut butter whenever you want to make one peanut butter mocha.
- Omit the Chocolate. If you are looking for a plain version of peanut butter coffee, simply omit adding the cocoa powder to the water and sugar. Once the simple syrup is prepared, whisk in the peanut butter to create peanut butter syrup to use in your lattes.
- Omit the Peanut Butter: If you want a plain mocha, prepare the chocolate syrup as directed, omitting the peanut butter.
How to Make a Peanut Butter Mocha
Step One: Prepare the chocolate peanut butter syrup. Combine cocoa powder, sweetener of choice, and water in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low. Stir until sugar and cocoa powder dissolve, about 2-3 minutes. Add peanut butter and stir while the syrup heats, for approximately 5 minutes. Remove syrup for heat and add in vanilla and a dash of salt.
Step Two: Heat the milk of choice. Heat ½ cup of milk of your choice in a heat-safe glass in the microwave for 45 seconds. Once heated, use the whisk to froth the milk by placing the handle in between the palms of your hands and quickly moving back and forth until the milk is bubbly. Check out my tips on how to make homemade lattes for a video tutorial on how this is done.
Step Three: Prepare peanut butter mocha. Combine the frothed milk, syrup to taste, and strong coffee in a coffee mug and enjoy. Top with homemade whipped cream if desired.
Storing Leftover Syrup
This recipe makes enough syrup to use for several peanut butter lattes. Allow the peanut butter chocolate syrup to cool fully and then store it in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Give it a good shake before using it.
More Peanut Butter Chocolate Treats
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Banana PB Chocolate Chip Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Muddy Buddy Cookies
Peanut Butter Coffee Recipe with Chocolate - Peanut Butter Mocha
Chocolate Peanut Butter Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
For Peanut Butter Mocha
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter chocolate syrup
- ½ cup strongly brewed coffee
- ½ cup milk any variety
Peanut Butter Chocolate Syrup
- Combine cocoa powder, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly and heat until the sugar and cocoa powder are fully dissolved. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Once dissolved, add the peanut butter and continue to cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the peanut butter is fully dissolved into the syrup. This will take about 5 minutes. Remove the syrup from the heat, add in vanilla and a dash of salt, and whisk to combine.
- Let cool fully and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Shake before using.
For Peanut Butter Mocha
- Place the milk into a microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for 45 seconds and then using a whisk, whisk the milk to make it frothy.
- Pour ½ cup of strong coffee into a large coffee mug, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the prepared peanut butter syrup, whisking to combine. Top with the frothed milk. Serve immediately.
- small whisk