These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies are the BEST! A tender peanut butter cookie is dipped in milk chocolate and then dusted with powdered sugar for the perfect chocolate to peanut butter ratio! These cookies are perfect for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Lover!
If you really looking for a decadent treat, serve these Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter Coffee–it is a match made in heaven!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
I am a genius. Not to brag or anything.
But I think you will agree once you take one bite of these chocolate peanut butter cookies.
My brilliance struck when my son asked me to make his favorite cookie–a peanut butter blossom. And as much as I love all things peanut butter and chocolate, I just have never cared for Peanut Butter Blossoms.
The problem with Peanut Butter Blossoms is that the chocolate is isolated to just the middle and gets hard quick–it does not melt into the peanut butter. Well, dang gone it!! That is when my genius idea struck me!!
What if i dipped a soft peanut butter cookie into melted chocolate? Then every bite of these soft peanut butter cookies would be covered in chocolate.
That is what I am talking about!
How can you go wrong with a soft peanut butter cookie that is topped with a chocolate glaze? You just can’t!!
My son agrees, these Peanut Butter Cookies dipped in chocolate are light years better than classic Peanut Butter Blossoms. He says they remind him of Muddy Buddy Snack Mix–so he refers to them as Muddy Buddy Cookies.
Well regardless of what you call them, I think we all can agree that this is the way to make the ultimate peanut butter cookie!
- Peanut Butter: I use shelf-stable natural peanut butter for this peanut butter cookie recipe. I have tried this recipe with natural peanut butter that needs refrigerated, and they just weren’t as fluffy and were a lot more likely to crumble after baking.
- Butter: Butter will help to balance out the peanut butter and create a rich cookie. Be sure to use unsalted butter that is at room temperature so it will cream into the sugars easily.
- Flour: All purpose flour is best for these cookies.
- Leavening: Peanut Butter Cookies use both baking soda and baking powder for the perfect texture.
- Sugar: For the best peanut butter cookies, use a combination of both granulated and brown sugar. The combination of the two sugars helps to keep the cookies light, fluffy, and to not spread too much when baked.
- Chocolate: I have made these cookies with melted dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I typically use chocolate chips, which melt easily, but any solid chocolate works–just chop into pieces the size of chocolate chips before melting. Use dairy free chocolate chips to keep these cookies dairy free!
- Powdered Sugar: This is not necessary, but we love to dust these cookies with powdered sugar. It gives the cookies a flavor reminiscent of Muddy Buddies!
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
These cookies are not hard to make. The most time consuming part is dipping the cookies into chocolate. You can speed up this process by recruiting help (it is a great task for mini chefs!) or you can simply drizzle chocolate over the peanut butter cookies–much quicker and still delicious!
Step One: Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies are one of the easiest cookies to make. It is traditional to use a fork to make indents on the peanut butter cookie before baking, but because these peanut butter cookies will be dipped into chocolate, that step is unnecessary.
To make the peanut butter cookies, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together and until creamy and light in color. This step is important for soft, fluffy cookies. Then add mix in the egg, then the dry ingredients that have been mixed together. Shape into 1 inch balls and bake until golden.
Step Two: Dip Peanut Butter Cookies into Melted Chocolate
This is the BEST part of these peanut butter cookies–the decadent chocolate coating!
To melt chocolate, chop up chocolate bars into small morsels (or use chocolate chips) and microwave on 30 second intervals stirring between each round until melted.
Gently dip each cookie into the melted chocolate top side down. Drizzle off excess chocolate and spread chocolate gently with back of spoon until top of cookie is covered in chocolate if needed. Let chocolate set and cool completely.
Step Three: Dust with Powdered Sugar
This step is optional, but makes these cookies look so pretty! It also the reason we refer to these cookies as Muddy Buddy Cookies at my house–that powdered sugar topping is classic!
Once chocolate is set on peanut butter cookies, dust with powdered sugar, using a small fine mesh sifter.
Decadent Peanut Butter Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 16 ounces bag of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 cup powered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together and until creamy and light in color. Add in egg and mix to combine.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix into wet ingredients until just combined and smooth..
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes. Cool cookies for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips in large glass bowl in microwave on 30 second intervals stirring between each round until melted.
- Gently dip each cookie into the melted chocolate top side down. Drizzle off excess chocolate and spread chocolate gently with back of spoon until top of cookie is covered in chocolate if needed. Let chocolate set and cool completely.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, dust each cookie with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
- Use shelf stable creamy peanut butter for this recipe.
- Be sure to let the chocolate coating harden before dusting with powdered sugar. It usually takes 15-20 minutes to harden fully at room temperature. But if you place on a cookie sheet in the fridge or freezer, the chocolate hardens in minutes.
- These cookies can be stored in a sealed container for 3 days at room temperature, and 5-7 days in the refrigerator. If your house is on the warm side, store in the fridge as the chocolate topping may melt.
- Because of the chocolate coating and powdered sugar dusting, these cookies are not ideal for freezing. If you must freeze, do so BEFORE coating in melted chocolate.
- Dairy-Free Cookies: Use dairy free chocolate chips to keep these cookies dairy free!
Note: Texanerin Baking’s Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies work for a perfect Gluten-Free base for these Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies.