Made with a tender peanut butter cookie that has been dipped in milk chocolate and dusted with powdered sugar, these Muddy Buddy Cookies are perfect for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Lover!
If you love Muddy Buddies, AKA Puppy Chow Mix, you will love these Muddy Buddy Cookies! These cookies are a spin on Peanut Butter Blossoms and they are downright delicious!
I am a genius--not to brag or anything. My brilliance struck when my son asked me to make his favorite cookie--a Peanut Butter Blossom. The problem was that we did not have any Hershey's Kisses.
But what if I dipped a soft, homemade peanut butter cookie into melted chocolate?
Every bite has the perfect ratio of peanut butter cookie to chocolate. It is seriously heaven!
What did my son think? He loves them! He says they remind him of Muddy Buddy Snack Mix, hence the name Muddy Buddy Cookies.
- Peanut Butter: I use shelf-stable natural peanut butter for this peanut butter cookie recipe. I have tried this recipe with natural peanut butter that needs refrigerated, and they just weren't as fluffy and were a lot more likely to crumble after baking.
- Butter: Butter will help to balance out the peanut butter and create a rich cookie. Be sure to use unsalted butter that is at room temperature so it will cream into the sugars easily.
- Sugar: For the best peanut butter cookies, use a combination of both granulated and brown sugar. The combination of the two sugars helps to keep the cookies light, and fluffy, and not spread too much when baked.
- Chocolate: I have made these cookies with melted dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I typically use chocolate chips, which melt easily, but any solid chocolate works--just chop into pieces the size of chocolate chips before melting.
- Powdered Sugar: This is not necessary, but we love to dust these cookies with powdered sugar. It gives the cookies a flavor reminiscent of Muddy Buddies!
How to Make Muddy Buddy Cookies
Step One: Make Peanut Butter Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together and until creamy and light in color. This step is important for soft, fluffy cookies--don't rush it!
- Add the egg and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour with the salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and space them out 2 inches on a baking sheet. It is traditional to use a fork to make indents on the peanut butter cookie before baking, but because these peanut butter cookies will be dipped into chocolate, that step is unnecessary.
- Bake until just set and beginning to become golden along the edges.
Step Two: Dip Cookies into Melted Chocolate
This is the BEST part of these peanut butter cookies--the decadent chocolate coating!
- To melt the chocolate, chop up chocolate bars into small morsels (or use chocolate chips) and microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each round until melted.
- Once the chocolate is melted, gently dip each cookie into the melted chocolate top side down.
- Drizzle off excess chocolate and if needed, spread chocolate gently with the back of a spoon until the top of the cookie is covered in chocolate.
- Place the cookies back on a cooling rack or sheet of wax paper and allow the chocolate to cool and harden.
Step Three: Dust with Powdered Sugar
This step is optional, but makes these cookies look so pretty! It is also the reason we refer to these cookies as Muddy Buddy Cookies at my house--that powdered sugar topping is classic!
- Once the chocolate is set on the peanut butter cookies, use a fine mesh strainer to dust the cookies with powdered sugar, until coated.
Recipe Tips and Modifications
- Storage: Store Muddy Buddy Cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. Keep in mind the powdered sugar coating may disappear a bit, but the cookies will still taste delicious. They are not ideal for freezing due to the chocolate coating.
- Time-Saving Tip: The most time-consuming part of making these cookies is dipping the peanut butter cookies into the melted chocolate. You can speed up this process by recruiting help, it is a great task for mini chefs! Or you can simply drizzle chocolate over the peanut butter cookies--much quicker and still delicious!
- Gluten-Free Modification: Use Texanerin Baking's Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies and top with melted chocolate and powdered sugar for a gluten-free muddy buddy cookie.
More Peanut Butter Chocolate Favorite Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Peanut Butter Coffee
- Buckeye Candy
If you enjoyed this recipe for Muddy Buddy Cookies, I would love for you to leave a review and comment below.
Muddy Buddy Cookies
Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
- 16 ounces bag of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- ½ cup powered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream together the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together and until creamy and light in color. Add in egg and mix to combine.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix into wet ingredients until just combined and smooth.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes. Cool cookies for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a large glass bowl in the microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted.
- Gently dip each cooled cookie into the melted chocolate top side down. Drizzle off excess chocolate and if needed, spread chocolate gently with back of spoon until top of cookie is covered in chocolate. Let chocolate set and cool completely.
- Once the chocolate has set, sprinkle powdered sugar over the cookies using a fine-mesh strainer.