Pineapple Cilantro Lime Rice: Ordinary rice is transformed into a side dish worthy of any fiesta with the addition of pineapple, cilantro, lime, and jalapeno.
Sometimes I get bored with having chips and salsa with my Mexican entrees.
Okay, that was totally a LIE!!
I don’t think I could ever get sick of chips! Especially chips with guacamole or taco dip.
BUT, there is time when a healthier side dish to my Mexican cuisine is in order, especially since I eat Mexican several times a week.
Plain rice makes a nice bed for my leftover Pork Carnitas. But when you infuse rice with some flavor, it becomes worthy of a dish that can be eaten all on its own.
Pineapple Cilantro Lime Rice
You have to be living under a rock to not know of Chipotle’s famous cilantro rice.
There are thousands of copycat recipes out there for Cilantro Lime Rice.
So what makes my recipe for Cilantro Rice so special?
My Cilantro Lime Rice has more flavor! TONS more flavor!!
I don’t just stop with the addition of cilantro, but I add jalapeno for kick, lime zest for a bright zip, and pineapple for a sweet contrast that pairs perfectly with any Mexican dish, like Steak or Chicken Fajitas.
Trust me, this is good. So good, you may skip the main course.
But then again, pineapple cilantro lime rice will make your main course THAT much more appetizing.
Notes on Cilantro Lime Brown Rice Recipe with Pineapple
- The addition of fresh pineapple in this lime brown rice is incredible, but you can certainly leave it out. You could also use canned pineapple tidbits or chunks in 100% juice. Use the pineapple juice for cooking the rice and the the pineapple chunks in the rice.
- Money Saving Tip: If I am using fresh pineapple for this pineapple rice, I drain the juice of a 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks to use for this recipe and then reserve the pineapple for a later meal/snack or a Pina Colada Smoothie.
- Omit the jalapeno to decrease on the spiciness of this cilantro rice, or leave the seeds in the jalapeno to kick up the level of spice.
- To get the most juice out of your lime, first zest the skin and then microwave your lime for 30 seconds. Then use the attachment of a kitchen mixer to juice your lime–you can see the video for that tip here.
- Instead of water, you can also use chicken stock with the pineapple juice to cook your rice in.
- Feel free to use jasmine rice, white rice, or wild rice for Cilantro Lime Rice recipe. Just follow the package instructions for length of time to cook your rice.
Perfect Dishes to Serve with Cilantro Rice
Pineapple Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 jalapeno cut in half and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 bunch of cilantro stems discarded and leaves chopped
- Bring pineapple juice, water, jalapeno, garlic and salt to a boil. Add in rice and lower to simmer. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and absorbed.
- Remove jalapeno.
- Stir in zest and juice of lime and chopped cilantro.
- Serve on the side or as the bed to a main course.
- Place rice, pineapple juice, jalapeno, garlic and salt into your inner pot of your pressure cooker. Add in 1/2 cup water instead of 1 cup water--you need less liquid in a pressure cooker for cooking rice, because no moisture is evaporated.
- Set your pressure cooker to cook on high for 35 minutes for brown rice or 3 minutes on high for white or jasmine rice.
- Let pressure decrease naturally for 10-15 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Remove jalapeno and garlic cloves and stir in lime zest, lime juice, and cilantro into your rice and serve.