There is nothing EASIER or more delicious than a burrito bowl. Seasoned meat, beans, and rice are the base of this easy burrito bowl, but the toppings are key! These easy burrito bowls are sure to gain a spot on your weekly meal rotation!
Burrito bowls are one of my go-to dinners!
Burrito bowls are the PERFECT way to use up leftovers to make something new that is full of flavor.
And if you are like me, you need EASY meals your family will enjoy!
Easy Burrito Bowl
Burrito bowls have become very popular thanks to chains like Chipotle and Moe’s.
The concept is easy–rice, piled with meat, beans and then your choice of toppings.
But friends, there is NO reason to order a burrito bowl out when you can make them at home with leftovers and a few pantry staples.
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
Pick and choose your favorites and build a burrito bowl that is perfect for your tastes–and what you have on hand!
Burrito Bowl Base
A burrito bowl starts with a grain of some sort.
Burrito Bowl Protein
The varieties of proteins you can add to your burrito bowl are endless, I often use leftovers.
- Leftover Pork Carnitas
- Toss leftover rotisserie chicken
- Leftover Taco Meat
- Leftover Chile Verde
- Instant Pot Beans
- Canned Beans
- Toasted Tofu
- Leftover Steak Fajita Meat
If you meat is not well seasoned, warm together with a bit of taco seasoning before serving on the burrito bowls. If your meat is already well flavored, omit the taco seasoning and just warm your meat with a bit of water or stock.
Burrito Bowl Toppings
Pick and choose the toppings you like and that fit your dietary needs.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Queso Fresco
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Shredded cabbage
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded Lettuce
- Easy Corn Salsa
- Salsa Verde
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Lime juice
- Sour cream
- Plain Greek yogurt
Grab your bowl and start layering and that is how you make a perfect burrito bowl! Simple easy, and always a winner!
More Easy Dinner Recipes that use up Leftovers
Burrito Bowl Recipe
Easy Burrito Bowl
- 2 cups leftover cooked meat
- 2 cups beans pinto or black
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning divided
- 3/4 cup water (or stock) divided
- 1 lime
- 4 cups rice or quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup salsa
- toppings of your choice
- In small saucepan, mix leftover meat with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water and bring to low simmer. Heat until just warmed through, stirring occasionally. This take about 5-10 minutes. Once warmed, squeeze half of the fresh lime over the meat and toss. This helps to truly brighten up the flavor.
- In another saucepan, mix beans with 2 teaspoons taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water and warm over medium heat. Once beans are warmed, squeeze the remaining half of the fresh lime over the beans and stir well.
- Warm up leftover rice or quinoa, or prepare according to package directions. Mix in salsa.
- Build burrito bowl, by placing a scoop of cooked rice (or quinoa or cauliflower rice) in bowl. Top with warmed meat, beans, and desired toppings.
- Use chicken or vegetable stock in place of water.
- If using leftover taco or carnita meat, omit additional taco seasoning from meat and warm through.
- If using flavored rice (like cilantro lime rice), omit salsa from rice, and just reheat flavored grain.