Vegan Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos with Bonus Stuffed Tomato: Cook once and eat twice! A spicy filling of black beans and sweet potatoes are stuffed into burritos and then morphed into a completely new meal by being stuffed into tomatoes.
One of my favorite things to do is to take one recipe and morph it into several creations.
Let me tell you why this is so fabulous:
- Gives new life to leftovers
- Stretches a buck by using what you have on hand
- Saves time and energy in the kitchen
I have already sold you on my tactic, haven’t I? Who doesn’t want to save money and time?
And now I am putting it to use with black bean and sweet potato mixture. To be more precise, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos AND Sweet Potato Black Bean Stuffed Tomatoes.
This may sound complicated.
IT IS NOT!
I had a giant baked sweet potato (you can be exceptionally lazy and open up a can of pureed pumpkin–no judgement on my part, the pumpkin will work as well in this recipe.)
Then I mixed in some cooked black beans (go ahead and open up a can of black beans–again, NO judgement!)
Black beans and sweet potatoes, a match made in heaven.
About hollowing out that tomato.
Don’t be scared…it is EASY!
You simply slice the top of the tomato off and scoop out the inside with a spoon (a grapefruit spoon would work great if you have one–I have lost mine, so I just use a small cookie scoop.)
What do you do with the insides of the tomato?
Round 2: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
With all that bean mixture that was so simple yet so complex in flavor, you now have lunch or dinner more than half-way done for the next day.
Simply stuff that mixture into your favorite tortillas. Top with a bit of extra cheese (if you aren’t vegan), roll up and serve with a side of salsa and a squeeze of lime juice.
Here is my “official” recipe for the mixture I use to stuff into my tomatoes and burritos. But be creative. Throw some corn or rice into mixture, or some fresh pico. Use your imagination and what you have in your kitchen. It is all about what your family prefers! Just don’t miss that added lime–it adds so much!
- Mix ingredients together thoroughly and heat through.
- Stuff in hollowed out tomatoes or your favorite tortilla.
- For tomatoes, slice top off tomato and then scoop out filling, leaving ½ inch border around tomato. Season the inside of tomato with salt and turn upside down while preparing filling (this lets the excess juice drain out.)
- For tortillas, heat your favorite tortilla, stuff and roll up.
- Serve with Sriracha, chopped cilantro, and feta if desired.
I hope you enjoy morphing your leftovers into new creations. Please comment on what additional recipes you would like to see “morphed” into new creations.
More Tex-Mex Meatless Recipes
Orginally published in 2014. Updated with some new pictures (recipe remains the same!)