A Mexican Chicken Torta is a Mexican version of a chicken sandwich and it is downright delicious and easy to make at home! Made with seasoned shredded chicken, crunchy cabbage, sharp queso fresco, and creamy avocado, this easy sandwich is filled with flavor and textures.
Serve this Mexican Torta with a side of Homemade Salsa and chips or a Mexican Quinoa Salad.
What is a Mexican Torta?
A Torta is a type of sandwich from Mexico. Really, a torta is just a fancy word for a sandwich or flatbread.
My version of a Mexican Torta is made with a soft roll and tender shredded seasoned chicken. The sandwich is finished with fresh tomato, avocado, lime, queso, and crunchy cabbage--all of which lend not only great flavor to this sandwich, but also provide a variety of textures.
This Mexican Sandwich comes together in minutes--especially if you have leftover meat, and is a perfect way to add flavor to your everyday typical sandwich.
Ingredients for Mexican Torta
You can really use anything you like for this Mexican Sandwich, but I have found that a combination of crunchy, creamy, and fresh works best.
- Shredded Mexican Chicken--Use leftover Instant Pot Chicken Taco Meat, Rotisserie Chicken, or even leftover meat from Pork Carnitas.
- Shredded Cabbage--for color and crunch
- Avocado--for creaminess
- Queso Fresco--for tang and additional creaminess
- Tomato, for brightness
- Onion, for the sharp flavor
Tips for Mexican Sandwich
- It is best to serve this sandwich right away, so the bread does not become soggy.
- If you need to make your chicken gluten-free, omit beer from the recipe and replace it with storebought or homemade chicken stock or Instant Pot Chicken Stock.
- If you don't have a queso fresco, feta is a great substitute.
More Tex-Mex Recipes
Chipotle Chicken Torta
For Shredded Chipotle Chicken
- 1 pound chicken boneless skinless breasts
- ¼ cup chipolte peppers from a can
- ½ cup beer I used a mild lager, but chicken stock or orange juice works too
- 4 soft Bolio rolls or any soft sandwich rolls
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 lime
- ½ cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
For Chipotle Chicken
- Place the chipolte peppers and sauce, the chicken, and the beer in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- For the sandwiches:
- Mash the avocado with the juice of the lime and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread on the the top layer of each roll.
- Layer the bottom of the roll with the chicken, tomato, onion, cabbage, and cheese. Place the top layer of the roll on the bottom and serve (with plenty of napkins.)
Great sandwich Kristen! Love the fresco cheese and fresh avocado!
It really makes a fabulous sandwich!
This sounds fantastic! I love a good torta!
Just a heads up..it's chipotLE, not the way you have it spelled. Sorry to be annoying and point it out, but I'm Texan and chipotle is very common to me 🙂
HA! I am the I am the worst speller--so thank you for catching that!
Ashley ~ 3 Little Greenwoods
I love-love-love a good sandwich! The chicken looks amazing and I love how you added crunchy cabbage to it. Perfect for summer!
This sandwich is insane.
Des @ Life's Ambrosia
This looks fantastic! My husband just loves tortas. I'll have to make this for him!
Des, I hope you do and you and your husband both enjoy it!
This sandwich looks terrific! I can get those bolillo rolls at my local Kroger but I've never thought about such a terrific sandwich with them.
They are the perfect vessel for a FABULOUS sandwich!
It's so easy to get distracted at home. I'm the same way so I completely understand. And when the TV is on, it's always on a food channel.
I bet this torta tastes as good as it looks--you've put some of my favorite flavors together here.
Thanks Jean. I am glad I am not alone in the distraction department.
Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert
I love tortas! My husband used to laugh at me when I would order them at Baja Fresh instead of burritos! Your chicken torta looks delicious! and easy to make!
Trust me, once you try this torta--you will never want another burrito 🙂
What a yummy sandwich! I LOVE anything chipotle, it's one of my favorite flavors ever!
Mine too Judy!
This looks fantastic, love the flavors!
Linz @ Itz Linz
oh yum this looks fantastic! i'd like it for lunch today!
Oh, yes--you need it for lunch!