Think Egg Salad needs to be boring? Think again! A classic recipe for egg salad has been kicked up a few notches with a few secret ingredients. This Egg Salad is full of flavor, easy to make, and makes the most perfect Egg Salad sandwich.
Whether you are looking for a high protein, easy, low-cost lunch, or a way to use up all those extra hard-boiled eggs from Easter –egg salad is a FABULOUS option.
Growing up, Egg Salad was NOT my favorite recipe. It just felt like a boring dish to me.
But I have learned how to perfectly season egg salad to make it truly spectacular, making it something I actually crave now.
This is the best egg salad recipe because of two ingredients.
- Prepared Horseradish
- Dijon Mustard
If you THINK you don’t like horseradish or mustard, I encourage you to still try this recipe. Neither ingredient overwhelms the egg salad, they both just provide a bit of zip and help to cut through the richness of the eggs and mayonnaise. Truly the little bit of pep that they both provide give this recipe complexity and make it memorable. It truly is the best.
How to Make Egg Salad
Step One: Hard Boil Eggs
- I always use my Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs–because they are PERFECT every single time!
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook your eggs on the stove. Place room temperature eggs in a single layer in a large stock pan. Add cold water to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil. Once at a rapid boil, cover pan and remove from heat. Set timer for 12 minutes. Drain and chill eggs.
Step Two: Prepare Egg Salad
- Peel the eggs and be sure to rinse them really well to ensure you don’t end up with shells inside your egg salad.
- Chop your hard-boiled eggs. Tip: Use a mini chopper to easily chop your eggs into tiny pieces.
- Mix mayonnaise with horseradish, Dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in eggs.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes for maximum flavor–I find 2 hours is best.
- Serve your egg salad on bread, a wrap, on toast, or over lettuce.
Low Fat Egg Salad
If you are looking to cut back on fat or cholesterol, but still love the taste of egg salad, these healthy swaps will satisfy your craving–while cutting the fat and cholesterol significantly.
- Instead of using 8 hard boiled eggs, use the whites from 6 hard boiled eggs and then add in 3 to 4 full hard boiled eggs (whites and yolks included.)
- Use plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise. I actually prefer the taste of the yogurt over the mayonnaise myself.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Easy Avocado Tuna Salad
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- Copycat Panera Roasted Turkey Sandwich
- Easy Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
The Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Hard Boil Eggs
- Place room temperature eggs in a single layer in a large stock pan. Add cold water to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil. Once at a rapid boil, cover pan and remove from heat. Set timer for 12 minutes. Drain and chill eggs.
- Or follow my instructions for Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs.
Egg Salad Recipe
- Peel hard boiled eggs. Rinse peeled eggs to remove any shells. Chop eggs into small chunks.
- Mix together mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper together. Add in eggs and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving for best flavor.
- Egg Salad will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Low Fat Egg Salad: Use plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise and use the whites from 6 hard boiled eggs, along with 3-4 full hard boiled eggs.
- Be sure to use prepared horseradish, not horseradish sauce in this egg salad recipe.