This easy recipe for egg salad features hard-boiled eggs in a creamy dressing flavored with horseradish and Dijon mustard to create the best egg salad recipe.
Use Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs to make this easy egg salad recipe EVEN easier to prepare.
Whether served as an Egg Salad Sandwich or as a wrap, egg salad is an affordable, easy option for lunch.
However, many egg salad recipes are lacking flavor and can be rather heavy. But this recipe for egg salad is perfection!
why you will love this egg salad recipe
- Balanced in Flavor. The addition of horseradish and mustard helps to balance out the richness of the mayonnaise and eggs to create an egg salad that is tangy, creamy, and full of flavor.
- Affordable. Even with egg prices on the rise, they still remain an economical source of protein, especially when compared to lunch meat.
- Super Easy to Prepare. Egg salad comes together rather quickly, especially if you already have hard-boiled eggs on hand.
- Versatile. This recipe for egg salad can be served as an egg salad sandwich, on a wrap, with crackers, or in lettuce cups for a low-carb option.
- Adaptable. Use this egg salad recipe as a starting point and add in your favorite additions like pickles, fresh dill, bacon, etc.
Egg Salad Ingredients
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: I always use my recipe for Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs to prepare hard-boiled eggs because they are PERFECT every single time and peel like a dream. However, I have included directions for how to prepare hard-boiled eggs on the stove in case you do not have an instant pot.
- Mayonnaise: I highly suggest using real mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip, for the best flavor. Low-fat or full-fat mayonnaise both work well in this recipe.
- Prepared Horseradish: Use prepared horseradish that is just grated horseradish, vinegar, and salt, not horseradish sauce. I often find horseradish in the refrigerated deli section next to the fresh eggs.
- Dijon Mustard: Use Dijon or brown mustard for the best flavor, not yellow mustard.
- Seasonings: To further add flavor to the egg salad, this recipe calls for salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
How to Make Egg Salad
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs either using my directions for Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs or on the stovetop and let cool.
- Once the eggs have cooled, peel the eggs and be sure to rinse them really well to ensure you don't end up with shells inside your egg salad.
- Chop the hard-boiled eggs into small pieces. You can use a mini chopper, an egg slicer, a pastry cutter, or simply use a knife to dice your eggs.
- For the egg salad dressing, stir together the mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl, until well combined.
- Add the eggs to the mayonnaise mixture and fold together until the eggs are well coated in the mayonnaise-based dressing.
- At this point, cover the egg salad and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry together.
Egg Salad makes an obvious choice for an egg salad sandwich. However, it is also delicious served on lettuce cups for a low-carb option, served with crackers for dipping, or on a flour tortilla for a quick Egg Salad wrap.
Keep in mind that it is best to assemble an Egg Salad sandwich or wrap immediately prior to serving, so as to keep the bread or tortilla from becoming soggy. And regardless of how you serve it, Egg Salad should never be left at room temperature for more than 1 hour.
- Low Cholesterol Egg Salad: If you are looking to cut back on fat and/or cholesterol, but still love the taste of egg salad, replace the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt, and instead of using a full 8 hard-boiled eggs, prepare 11 hard-boiled eggs. Discard the yolks from 8 of the hard-boiled eggs, using only the whites, along with 3 full hard-boiled eggs. The egg salad will still have some cholesterol, but much lower than the classic recipe.
- Add Crunch: If you would like a little crunch in your egg salad, add up to ½ cup of finely chopped celery or minced red onion.
- Add Pickles: For a bit of a briny taste, add 1 tablespoon of either sweet or dill pickle relish or finely chopped pickles.
- Add Bacon: Topping an egg salad sandwich with slices of baked bacon adds an irresistible smokey flavor.
More Easy Lunch Recipes
- Easy Avocado Tuna Salad
- Copycat Panera Roasted Turkey Sandwich
- Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Quinoa Spinach Salad
I hope you enjoy this flavorful egg salad as much as my family does. If you gave it a try, I would love for you to leave a comment and a review below.
The Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon prepared horseradish not horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Hard Boil Eggs
- Prepared hard-boiled eggs by following my instructions for Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs. Alternatively, prepare the eggs on the stove by placing room-temperature eggs in a single layer in a large stock pan. Add cold water to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil. Once the water is rapidly boiling, cover the pan and remove it from heat. Set timer for 12 minutes. Drain and chill eggs.
Egg Salad Recipe
- Peel the eggs and rinse peeled eggs to remove any shells. Pat dry with a paper towel and then chop the eggs into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium or large mixing bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper together. Add in eggs and fold together to just combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving for the best flavor.